Serial Number vs Model Year, and related pickup question

The Steady

This question revolves around two S2 Standard 24s that I own/owned. I briefly owned a used 2018 numbered model but moved on from it due to some wear issues and replaced it with a 2020 numbered model at the end of 2021 from a reputable dealer.

However, the 2020 model I have features uncovered pickups, which I assumed are holdover 85/15 S in contrast to the covered 58/15 S version that is spec for 2020 and 2021. Figuring this was just some overlap wherein serial number and model year did not align somehow and knowing I liked the 85/15 S of the 2018 I was fine with it. The big HOWEVER is that these don't sound like the pickups from the 2018 guitar at all.

At what point during a calendar year does the factory switch production to match new model year spec changes?

Is it at all possible that these pickups are an uncovered 58/15 S somehow? Or is there that much variance in the guitars year to year, guitar to guitar, that this 2020 guitar sounds markedly unlike the 2018 of the same model? (And unlike the 85/15 S in the 2018 S2 Standard 22 I also own?)

Are you sure the pickups weren't changed by a previous owner? I'm assuming that it was used, even though it was from a reputable dealer, based on it being a 2020 purchased in late 2021.

Are you sure the pickups weren't changed by a previous owner? I'm assuming that it was used, even though it was from a reputable dealer, based on it being a 2020 purchased in late 2021.
Brand new according to the dealer, and it looked it when opened.

Can't help, I'd assume the sane as you 85/15s but I'd pull one to find out.

I was planning a string change and fretboard cleaning so last night I had it unstrung and took the opportunity to remove the pickguard and look.

The pickups are indeed 85/15 S and a sticker in the cavity seemed to indicate a January 2020 build and all the soldering appeared unmolested. Ergo the 'New' 2020 spec wasn't being built yet when mine popped out early in the year.

It remains strange to me though that this guitar sounds so different to the other exact guitar from a couple years prior but with the same 85/15 S pickups. That's why I was wondering if there was some sort of uncovered 58/15 S transition oddball or something. It is most noticeable on the coil split sounds and now I am curious if there isn't maybe a bad solder somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
Back