SE245 … compared to S2 594 SC?

Happy NGD!

I would say it feels more solid, all around - tuning stability is better (I have the SE Locking Tuners on the 245) - everything just seems tighter in the fit and finish. The sound is more sonically pleasing as well. The 245 is no slouch, but I can hear/feel the difference for sure.

I would say that's a very good distilling of the SE vs S2.

I have a very nice core 594, and I'm still jonesing for the S2 594 I played a few weeks ago. Can't blame you for getting one!!!

I would say it feels more solid, all around - tuning stability is better (I have the SE Locking Tuners on the 245) - everything just seems tighter in the fit and finish. The sound is more sonically pleasing as well. The 245 is no slouch, but I can hear/feel the difference for sure.
Nailed it! I’ve never had a issue with the tuning on my 245, or really on any of my SEs fortunately. I use a little graphite in the nut slots every string change, so that may have something to do with it as well as a little luck. I also swapped the pups to some SD Seth Lover’s so it really took it over the top for me.

I totally get what you’re saying. All around, the S2 has just got more of that PRS mojo, for lack of a better term. I LOVE my 245 for so many reasons, but imho you can definitely feel the extra care and attention to detail during the build/finishing processes on the S2. To me, that’s where that additional thousand bucks comes into play. The cores I’ve played are even another level past the S2s. So in the end it’s all about the feels for me. And the S2 594 gives me the warm and fuzzies every time I pick it up.

Last edited:
For a long time I’ve lusted for a core 594 or even an s2. I have a core cu24 and ce22 along with a beauty ‘06 McRosie. I played many s2’s and core 594s at the local shops and came to the conclusion there just isn’t enough difference for me to upgrade my zach myers SE. I actually really love the semi hollow aspect which makes it so light I can use it as a main guitar at a gig. Because of the cost of the SE I was able to upgrade the tuners to the core phase III and pickups to dragon II’s which I love. After I decided against the core 594 I went and got a pair of the 58/15 lt’s that recently went on sale and am going to through those in on my next string change. I also upgraded the switch, pots and jack. In spite of all the upgrades I’m still below the cost of the s2 594. Got myself a gator hard shell case with the money left over also. IMO the cu24 SE leaves a case for upgrading to the higher model because the neck shape is just so thin it’s like a toy almost. The ZM se has a nice beefy neck comparable to the core WF. Definitely doesn’t feel like a toy. Was my first prs and will likely stay with me until I pass it on to someone in family down the road. My niece and nephew both lit up my heart with their interest in guitar and they are going to inherit some amazing instruments eventually if they keep at it.

Another difference, which only applies for some of us, is that the S2 line is more ergonomic where the forearm rests on the bevel. I'm one of those players that gets really uncomfortable with sharp edges, so I'm pretty much all about the S2 line or classic carves like the Silver Sky or Fiore.

For a long time I’ve lusted for a core 594 or even an s2. I have a core cu24 and ce22 along with a beauty ‘06 McRosie. I played many s2’s and core 594s at the local shops and came to the conclusion there just isn’t enough difference for me to upgrade my zach myers SE. I actually really love the semi hollow aspect which makes it so light I can use it as a main guitar at a gig. Because of the cost of the SE I was able to upgrade the tuners to the core phase III and pickups to dragon II’s which I love. After I decided against the core 594 I went and got a pair of the 58/15 lt’s that recently went on sale and am going to through those in on my next string change. I also upgraded the switch, pots and jack. In spite of all the upgrades I’m still below the cost of the s2 594. Got myself a gator hard shell case with the money left over also. IMO the cu24 SE leaves a case for upgrading to the higher model because the neck shape is just so thin it’s like a toy almost. The ZM se has a nice beefy neck comparable to the core WF. Definitely doesn’t feel like a toy. Was my first prs and will likely stay with me until I pass it on to someone in family down the road. My niece and nephew both lit up my heart with their interest in guitar and they are going to inherit some amazing instruments eventually if they keep at it.
I feel the exact same about my SE ZM. I had my eye on a S2 594 but kept coming back to the ZM. Maybe I have an above average ZM and was comparing to a below average S2 but I couldn’t justify the extra money for the S2 and went home with the ZM. This one will be staying with me forever.

Fist post on the forum you guys have cleared up a heap of my questions.
Honesty only stumbled across this forum by a simple twist of fate.
Just getting back into the music after many many years away,ow well retirement comes to us all .
Nows my time to return looking at a Les Paul style guitar ,was looking at Epiphone or Gibson either way wasn’t fussed ,but then I came a across this forum lol.Seems like the rest is history.I’ve got heaps of old Fenders and My acoustic Matons just to tell the seen ok .
Ps I’m an old old trumpet, pianist harp and guitar player from the 70s 80s
Looks like you boys have sold me on a Prs by the look of things .
Ok now to choose my fist purchase from Paul .
Mmmmm
Ps like a kid in a candy shop Pmsl .
Yours Garth Eagles mmm

Back