SE Standard Buzz at bridge/saddle

zeke43

I got my SE about 3 months ago and it was love at first strum. Fit, finish, tone, feel...all simply incredible. One complaint I do have is the low output preamp...I play in a band and the other guys have a Martin and a custom Hart guitar and when both of them play with their preamps dialled around 1/3 volume, I have to dial a smidge over 12 o'clock to match output.

But my most pressing issue is string buzz at the bridge. The Angelus is set up before leaving the factory. It was also inspected and set up at the music store where I bought it. I've tried three different string brands across different gauges, ensuring ball ends we're properly seated, etc...but I get buzz off E, A, D strings at alternating frets 7-12. It's definitely not fret buzz. It seems to buzz at a specific frequency (when I hit the same note across the base strings). The buzz is clearly coming from the bridge area. So, this past weekend, I brought it in to a luthier who has been building custom guitars for over 15 years. He checked everything...bracing, seating, nut, saddle, components and wires, frets. He made some minor adjustments but couldn't solve the problem. His assessment is a sympathetic buzz or wolf tone. Anyone else have this issue? Would sure love to get this resolved.

Any my input is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

It's hard to know without hearing and inspecting the guitar, but if an experienced luthier looked it over and didn't see anything amiss, I'd have to think he's right.

Have you called PRS customer service? If you're the original owner, they should cover this under warranty.

I'm so put off by the tone and low output of my SE acoustic I'm putting a fishman prefix plus in it. I live very near Stevensville and a LOT of guys have them here. all with the same weak thin crappy plugged in tone.

Back