SE Singlecut Bridge Lean - Solutions?

AdenM

Recently picked up a 2009 SE Singlecut Korina as a gigging/travel guitar to accompany my Custom 24 and 24-08. It sounds and looks great, but it has some pretty crazy bridge lean. It seems like the previous owner installed a set of Tonepros locking studs, but in this case, the lean seems to be down to the stud wells in the body themselves.

Have you all ever dealt with anything like this? How did you solve it? Going to ask the dealer for money off as they didn't disclose it in any pictures but debating just returning if they say no.
IMG-0323.jpg

IMG-0324.jpg

HFJdM4t

HFJdM4t

a>

fV35vJt

a>

The lean on these type bridges is typical/normal. Changing to the locking studs helped a bit, but still leans somewhat. You said it sounds great, so other than the look, what issue are you having? BTW, no one watching you play will ever notice the lean at all.

Looking at your picture again, it looks as if the stud wells themselves are leaning, not quite fitted well into the body. Again, if it sounds great, not really a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Cosmetically not worried about it, just having trouble getting rid of any buzz without the action being too high and assuming that may be due to the lean. I may change out the pickup rings as the ones the prev. owner put in are huge and the bridge pickup is very high.

If the lean is too much, it can cause a sitar-like sound. Is that what you hear, or is it fret buzz?

My studs need to be reset, and I don’t feel confident doing it - so my SE One will be going in the shop soon.

On some of the first SE's that didn't have maple caps/veneers the stud wells would actually lean into the top wood and actually crush the fibers. Happened with my SE EG a bit. I removed the wells and wrapped them with thin aluminum tape to make them fit tighter in the hole and that has helped.

From your pic it seems like the wells are leaning forward too. Take them out a try the wrapping idea to tighten them up.

HTH, JIm

Last edited:
My home brewed remedy for wraparound bridge lean:

For a wiggly bridge, stick a mylar washer under the post head. They are cheap, thin so you can cut em, and wont degrade.
For the post insert wobble, wrap the post threads in teflon tape. Cheap fix, easily available at any hardware store.

For a wiggly bridge, stick a mylar washer under the post head. They are cheap, thin so you can cut em, and wont degrade.
For the post insert wobble, wrap the post threads in teflon tape. Cheap fix, easily available at any hardware store.

On some of the first SE's that didn't have maple caps/veneers the stud wells would actually lean into the top wood and actually crush the fibers. Happened with my SE EG a bit. I removed the wells and wrapped them with thin aluminum tape to make them fit tighter in the hole and that has helped.

From your pic it seems like the wells are leaning forward too. Take them out a try the wrapping idea to tighten them up.

HTH, JIm

Check out my YouTube comment under the $20 wraparound bridge fix video !!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Going to try wrapping the wells with teflon/aluminum tape or similar and see how that goes. It's a killer older SE for sure, so hoping that resolves things.

Recently picked up a 2009 SE Singlecut Korina as a gigging/travel guitar to accompany my Custom 24 and 24-08. It sounds and looks great, but it has some pretty crazy bridge lean. It seems like the previous owner installed a set of Tonepros locking studs, but in this case, the lean seems to be down to the stud wells in the body themselves.

Have you all ever dealt with anything like this? How did you solve it? Going to ask the dealer for money off as they didn't disclose it in any pictures but debating just returning if they say no.
IMG-0323.jpg

IMG-0324.jpg

HFJdM4t

HFJdM4t

a>

fV35vJt

a>

Back