SE/S2 PRS recommendations for someone that knows nothing of PRS

mas25

Looking for SE/S2 PRS recommendations for someone that knows nothing of PRS

I want to buy a lower end PRS (S2 or SE). I really know nothing about them. I mostly play reggae/rock music. I am looking for that crisp clean tone with the ability to play a harder rock type chorus sections.

Would the Mira be a fit or better to go with a SE/S2 custom 24? also would it be better to get SE and upgrade as necessary? Any thoughts on the older SE Tom Mahoney version?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Julian Junior Marvin rocks a 408 and what looks like a stock SE Custom 24, and he knows a thing or two about Roots, Rock, and even a little Reggae. :wink:

Oh! Welcome aboard!

Just head for a music shop and try them out. Even the simplest PRS SE's are pretty versatile, I think you could find one that does the sort of sounds you're looking for. I get a wide range of sounds from my SE245, I could not believe how crisp and snappy the bridge pickup can be.

I might recommend the S2 Standard line. It is definitely a step up from the SE line (I've had both), but the S2 has better electronics, tuners, nicer but simpler finish, just overall, a nice upgrade for a couple $100 more over certain SE models. The S2 Standard Custom 22, has a nice clean tone, but can get dirty when needed. Very versatile range. Feels well built to me, not that expensive, hard to beat at this price point. I've liked mine a lot.

Thanks for the advice!! I have been looking at used PRS also, I found a 2002 CE 24 for 1250, is that a good buy?

Back