SE Mods

I did a few fairly cheap add ons to my Bernie, which make it much better to live with and use.
It was a UK limited run of 50 which has the usa 53/10 pickups, but I swapped out the nut to a black USA widefat, and the tuners to Gotoh locking tuners.
(The nut it came with was binding on the high E string and I prefer locking tuners)
Then I recently added the amber lampshade knobs, which are much more tactile and look better too.
Nut, tuners and knobs were all a simple drop-in, and I think all in it cost me ~120quid to do the mods.
This guitar is staying in the home for life, love it.

2m5cosp.jpg
5v0g80.jpg

I wanted the Lampshades for my Bernie, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on knobs. Looks fantastic!!! Bernie's rock! Best PSR SE ever built.

I wanted the Lampshades for my Bernie, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on knobs.

Been there.

Here's how I rationalized it: Salad fixin's cost me at least $20. There's the fancy croutons, the craisins, some chopped nuts, some organic spinach, a Haas avocado .... Sh!t! I've already bought a pair of lampshades from John Mann's Guitar Vault.

It was tough mentally for me to get lampshades for my SE-245 when other types of knobs go for a quarter of the price, but as soon as I put them on it was worth it because they look so bitchin' on there.

Guess I should post up a pic of it since I've done a bunch of mods: USA nut, custom TRC, TonePros Locking posts, US strap buttons, the knobs and Tremonti bridge/Vintage bass neck pickups.

Got this:

IMG_00214.jpg

Then cutout a cream pick guard and trc form some pg material and added a cream speed knob, now she looks like this:

IMG_1218.JPG

I also replaced the nut because the one that was on there was cracked under the high E string.

I did a few fairly cheap add ons to my Bernie, which make it much better to live with and use.
It was a UK limited run of 50 which has the usa 53/10 pickups, but I swapped out the nut to a black USA widefat, and the tuners to Gotoh locking tuners.
(The nut it came with was binding on the high E string and I prefer locking tuners)
Then I recently added the amber lampshade knobs, which are much more tactile and look better too.
Nut, tuners and knobs were all a simple drop-in, and I think all in it cost me ~120quid to do the mods.
This guitar is staying in the home for life, love it.

2m5cosp.jpg
5v0g80.jpg

Very, very cool upgrades. Super good looking guitar. I know what you mean about the satisfaction you get from the more "tactile" feeling knobs - I recently started putting Fender P Bass knurled flat top chrome barrel knobs on some of my Fenders. They look especially good on my Fender '72 Classic and Deluxe teles, much better than those uninspiring "amp style" knobs they came with. The chrome Fender barrels have a very excellent tactile feeling to them that gives a immediate feedback, feeling the machined knurling instantly. They grip almost like sandpaper. I have put them on most of my strats now and especially like the upgrade on my black blacktop strat, from the "amp knob" type uninspiring knobs to some very cool black knurled P bass type barrels. Fender makes the nicest knurled barrels I have found yet, with a great feel from the machined knurling.

I should try some of the PRS lampshade knobs. Will they fit well on the "SE" PRS models?

Little touches like these make great upgrades, from my perspective. I also like the American string trees on my Fenders and they are very inespensive. They are much nicer than the cheap looking MIM ones and seem functional too.

Beautiful guitars guys.

I also really like the Grover mini-locking tuners, 406C's, on my SE Singlecut and plan on putting some on my SE Standard and my new PRS SE Santana. They are direct drop in replacements. They hold tune very satifsfyingly well.

Last edited:
Well the only thing I've done is a Tusq XL nut, lol. I will say I'm really hhappy with it though, I just wish I could have gotten it in ivory color to match the pickup rings.

Ill play around with it for a few weeks before deciding if I'm gonna get some Grocers. Id like to do pickup covers too, but don't really know if Im going to like chrome on the Sunburst... maybe gold, but then ill have to change my saddles at the very least to match.

@pac90

That's an awesome Bernie! I'm hoping to get amber lampshade knobs as well for mine. :)

New forum member here. I've got a SE Custom semi hollow. So far, I swapped original pups with Duncan JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck). Graphite nut and schaller locking tuners. Original strap buttons are fine as I don't move around much when I play.

Haven't changed selector switch, input jack and pots yet... could you give suggestions please?

Peace,
ResidentRenzo,

Hi Renzo, pots are tricky if you want to keep it all original PRS parts as the US pots are bigger. I've spoken to PRS Europe and the tech told me that the SE pots are very good so he couldn't see any benefit in changing them. He did confirm that you can change the trem saddles for better quality US saddles as it's only .5 of a millimeter difference. Hope that helps :)

Agreed on the pots (and jack and switch). I figured on changing them out in my SE-245 when I replaced the pickups but when I popped the hood I discovered (happily) that it came stock with excellent quality stuff and no need to change them until/unless something fails.

Whacked a Graphtech Resomax ghost loaded piezo wraparound bridge in my dad's SE semi-hollow. Relatively easy install, sounds great and I didn't notice the radius difference. Sorry for crap photos, was in a rush to get it done before I went away for work.

14539214514_448f4d1ca7_b.jpg

14517746736_9936983c33_b.jpg

Back