SE Mods

So, I got bored last night and finally decided to swap out the gibby pickups in my ZM semi with a spare pair of dragon 2's I have. WOW that bass is beefy. But tamable. really like the sounds. The ghost piezo I install matches up nicely with the dragons as well. The gibby classic plus in the bridge was a little weak. OH, I also coil-tapped the dragons too!!!!! :evil:

So, I got bored last night and finally decided to swap out the gibby pickups in my ZM semi with a spare pair of dragon 2's I have. WOW that bass is beefy. But tamable. really like the sounds. The ghost piezo I install matches up nicely with the dragons as well. The gibby classic plus in the bridge was a little weak. OH, I also coil-tapped the dragons too!!!!! :evil:

NOICE!!!

Dan, If I ever find out where you live, that guitar will disappear. Of course, I won't know anything about it.

Bangin'! DII bass is a great pup.

Hey guys! New to the forum! I asked this question in another thread but figured this would be a good place to ask as well. I'm looking at getting an SE Tremonti Custom (First PRS, woo!) and planning some upgrades to the hardware. Will the Phase II and Phase III tuners drop in or no? Also, what's the difference between the II and III and is it really worth the extra money?

My SE Soapbar II now with vintage Bill Lawrence L-560 mini humbuckers.

296bb0f0-6286-46eb-882e-11e7ead3b07d_zpsf484f20f.jpg

My SE Soapbar II now with vintage Bill Lawrence L-560 mini humbuckers.

296bb0f0-6286-46eb-882e-11e7ead3b07d_zpsf484f20f.jpg
Nice! I remember there were a ton of those on ebay like 8 or 10 years ago, NOS ones from the 1970s. Since those all sold, they seem to be pretty rare. I wondered how they sound, care to comment?

Hi guys!!! I'm looking for a pickup that sounds close to Gibson Burstbuckers…. OR can I put the BB in my SE custom 24

Nice! I remember there were a ton of those on ebay like 8 or 10 years ago, NOS ones from the 1970s. Since those all sold, they seem to be pretty rare. I wondered how they sound, care to comment?

Yeah, I don't know where all those came from but they were quite the rage for a minute. I didn't catch on until the end, and there was nothing but cream ones left. I guess everyone who bought them is holding on to them, because they've been extremely rare the last few years. I had the great fortune of finding the bridge model on eBay, and then a used gear retailer happened to have the neck.

They're essentially the same as the L-500, but in the P-90 housing. They're both very clear and balanced, so they sound great clean, but that clarity also makes distortion sound great. The neck has a high-end sweetness you normally only hear in single coils; probably not too far off from a Narrowfield. The bridge has a stronger midrange without getting honky and it picks up tons of harmonic content with distortion. I bet they made a lot of sense when they came out at the end of the 70's as a way for all those Les Paul Deluxe owners to modernize their mini buckers.

Here's my 2nd SE Cu24-7:

uc

Amethyst finish, Grover 406G tuners, Schaller strap locks, Q-Parts Ringo knobs, Bare Knuckles Emerald-7 pickups, and a 5-way super-switch. Tuned to drop-A. (Still looking for a gold drop-in replacement bridge.)

Last edited:
Just about to pull the trigger on BKP Riff Raffs for my SE Santana ! I love Bare Knuckle pickups . I have Mules in my SE Bernie Marsden . The SE 245 pickups are good but I noticed so much more definition with the Bare Knuckles ! Pics to come when the job is done !

I would like to replace my Zach Myers pu rings and selector tip with ivory/white ones... Would any lp style rings fit? Any idea where can I find not so expensive replacements?

I'll apologize up front if this has already been covered but 22 pages plus watching my kids ain't gonna happen.

I just picked up a SE Soapbar II and want to upgrade the pickups. The only concern I have is that I've read that this model doesn't have a ton of depth for the neck pickup due to the thinner body and the neck tenon running underneath. Can someone verify this and if so, any idea which makers make a P90 that will fit without sitting too high?

Back