SE Mods

Scored a set of 2008 core 245 pickups off for a stupidly low price (it costs me more to make a set of my own humbuckers than I paid for theseo_O). Original idea was to either give them to me son for his SE singlecut trem or wait then flip them. Just to test them out I installed them in Bernie #3, after a age getting the heights right and the sound balanced (I find PRS Pickups the most differcult to balance) all I can say is WOW, these things really this guitar to life (she previously had my own take on BB3 & BB2) Paired with my Marshall Origin 20 head Limited edition in cream (A xmas pressie too myself) through my old Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab this thing is a killer - all the tones I need plus more.

52676920210_7d0f27ea10.jpg
52676921355_40cb01befd.jpg

52676488746_881d8d0220_o.jpg

Marshall Origin 20H in limited cream (Poor mans Randy Rhoads or Bernie Marsden Head)
52579809624_011636cc94_o.jpg

Oh and she finally has a name = Vala (my son has a bit of a thing for Claudia Black)

Scored a set of 2008 core 245 pickups off for a stupidly low price (it costs me more to make a set of my own humbuckers than I paid for theseo_O). Original idea was to either give them to me son for his SE singlecut trem or wait then flip them. Just to test them out I installed them in Bernie #3, after a age getting the heights right and the sound balanced (I find PRS Pickups the most differcult to balance) all I can say is WOW, these things really this guitar to life (she previously had my own take on BB3 & BB2) Paired with my Marshall Origin 20 head Limited edition in cream (A xmas pressie too myself) through my old Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab this thing is a killer - all the tones I need plus more.

Marshall Origin 20H in limited cream (Poor mans Randy Rhoads or Bernie Marsden Head)

Oh and she finally has a name = Vala (my son has a bit of a thing for Claudia Black)
I have a Burstbucker 1&2 set in one of my Zach Myers signature and they are awesome. Leads on the neck pickup are terrific.

Nice score John. Is he a fan of Farscape?

Nice! The 245’s are great pickups when you get them set up correctly…
I put a pair of 245’s in my ‘22 Santana SE… what a difference! That’s such a great sounding guitar now
In my 2 non Gibson Lp’s i have Dragon 2’s in the Corsa Manaleshi and 59/09’s in the Swaim Guitar Works one

Last edited:
Nice! I put a pair of 245’s in my ‘22 Santana SE… what a difference! That’s such a great sounding guitar now
I usually wind my own pickups for my guitars and only pick up main brands for research and then tend to flip them. I've been lucky enough to score 4 sets of core pickups in the last couple of years - 2 sets of Dragon II's, a set of McCarthy's and the 245's. I flipped one set of Dragon II's.

I have Dragon Ii's in my 13 Santana with 5 way rotary, see post's 1606 & 1674

I have a set of 1999 McCarty's with 2 push/pul volumes in Bernie number 2, see post 1700

And of course the set of 2008 245's in Bernie number 3 above

Nice! I put a pair of 245’s in my ‘22 Santana SE… what a difference! That’s such a great sounding guitar now
I put Bareknuckles in most of mine. I do have a CU22 SE with Wolfetones and I like those alot. They really make a big difference.

I put Bareknuckles in most of mine. I do have a CU22 SE with Wolfetones and I like those alot. They really make a big difference.
yea, I got a used LP Special Doublecut that came with Wolfetone P90s. They're amazing.

yea, I got a used LP Special Doublecut that came with Wolfetone P90s. They're amazing.
Wolfetone is pretty cool. I really liek thier stuff and most of the time used parts are reasonably priced....well, compared to Bareknuckle or PRS pickups. I'm seeing new PRS sets going for $500+ on Sweetwater. o_O

I replaced the stock pickups in my SE Soapbar with Lollar mini humbuckers. The original pickups weren't bad at all but the Lollars are great, and fit right perfectly in the recess for the soapbars.

Thought I was finished modding the SE's until the gent I'd bought the core 245 pickups off contacted me saying he a few other bits for that he hadn't listed on evilbay yet, 3 x sets of satin bridge studs & a 5 way rotary switch and some non PRS guitar bits all for £100. So off I started modding again.

First up 2011 SE Bernie Marsden #1 (McCarty)
52704951158_33dee8ae92_k.jpg

Vinyl burl wood headstock overlay
Cream "Bernie" signature
Custom Ebony & MOP McCarty TRC
Gotoh SD-90 HAP machineheads
"Core" Wraparound tailpiece
"Core" McCarty pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
2 push/pull volume pots for coil splits
Russian K40P-2 .022 Paper In Oil Capacitor
Amber lampshade knobs
Wide nickel strap buttons
Pure Tone (4 point) Jack Socket

Next was the 2011 SE Bernie Marsden #2 (Trouble)
52704714324_9ed1b2d0c7_k.jpg

Vinyl headstock overlay with Cream "Bernie" signature
Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
Custom wound pickups historically correct to Peter Green's guitar
ABM aluminium wraparound tailpiece
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Russian K40P-2 .022 Paper In Oil capacitor
Gold bell knobs

Next I turned my attension to Bernie #3. She a fantastic player (especially with the "core 245" pickups in her but the colour has always bugged me a little (Looked a darker brown in the online shots) so inspired by @sergiodeblanc goldtop bernie, I decided to give her a makeover I found a store that did plain vinyl wraps in large enough sizes for guitars and my son went to work on it (I supervised). He did a real quick overlay just to see how it would look (you can see a couple of tiny air bubbles but I really like the way it turned out) I've seen factory finishes that look worse.
52703937237_863d7b35b6_k.jpg

Vinyl headstock overlay with Silver PRS signature
"Aged Gold" vinyl wrap on front of body
Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
"Core" 245 pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

The 3 Bernie's hanging out together
52704881295_a07d07dfb2_b.jpg

I'm still working on a couple more mods on the Zach Myers which may involve the rotary switch (post post when finished)

Last edited:
Thought I was finished modding the SE's until the gent I'd bought the core 245 pickups off contacted me saying he a few other bits for that he hadn't listed on evilbay yet, 3 x sets of satin bridge studs & a 5 way rotary switch and some non PRS guitar bits all for £100. So off I started modding again.

Cream "Bernie" signature
"Core" McCarty pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Amber lampshade knobs

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

Next I turned my attension to Bernie #3. She a fantastic player (especially with the "core 245" pickups in her but the colour has always bugged me a little (Looked a darker brown in the online shots) so inspired by @sergiodeblanc goldtop bernie, I decided to give her a makeover I found a store that did plain vinyl wraps in large enough sizes for guitars and my son went to work on it (I supervised). He did a real quick overlay just to see how it would look (you can see a couple of tiny air bubbles but I really like the way it turned out) I've seen factory finishes that look worse.

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
"Core" 245 pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

I'm still working on a couple more mods on the Zach Myers with may incorperate the rotary switch (post post when finished)

Very Nice!
What's your technique for cutting the edges of the vinyl?

Cream "Bernie" signature
"Core" McCarty pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Amber lampshade knobs

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
"Core" 245 pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

I'm still working on a couple more mods on the Zach Myers with may incorperate the rotary switch (post post when finished)

Beautiful John, nicely done.

Cream "Bernie" signature
"Core" McCarty pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Amber lampshade knobs

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

Custom Ebony & MOP TRC
"Core" 245 pickups
Satin brass bridge studs
Upgraded wiring & pots
Gold bell knobs

Whoa! That looks dope!

Here's a couple I've upgraded/modded lately. First my Soapbar II, which I put a set of Lollar mini's in,
[url=https://imgur.com/YmXETCO][/URL]
[url=https://imgur.com/ZZnMjDA][/URL]
And yesterday I bought this singlecut. today it has a set of Seth Lovers in it.
[url=https://imgur.com/NAchtYj][/URL]
[url=https://imgur.com/LU1iR3s][/URL]
I just decided that i really like the wide/fat necks. I had these same pickups in other guitars but ended up not liking the guitars so much. Didn't like the necks mostly, or the weight , ergonomics etc.

Last edited:
Forgot this one. I simply changed the pickup rings and put covers on the pickups of my SE Paul's guitar. Really did not like the original, black oddly shaped rings. I think it looks much better. I like the pearlescent birds on this one. On my other SE's I prefer the moon dots and sought out the guitars that had them. [url=https://imgur.com/He665kz][/URL]
I'm not changing the pickups on this one though. I think they're excellent.

Back