SE Mods

For what it's worth, I've used both and prefer the Grovers. I like the cam lock and they're lighter. The stubby buttons take a little getting used to, but they're great keys.

Ever found any replacement buttons? Love the mechanism but would like to mess with some bigger buttons.

Got my SE Semi-Hollow with Bigsby back from my tech tonight. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Had \m/ pickups installed and a tusqnut as well as all electronics. Had a kill switch and mini toggle for coil tapping installed. The pots are PRS and the input and 3 way are Switchcraft.

This thing is badass now!!
99efada642a181dd81fe66bb2b7e0358.jpg

2f86923bd5a48765c2637df8824d59b9.jpg

Bernie question for Mike Garvey or any of the other Bernie owners...I never turn back the tone on my neck pup, but (usually) prefer the bridge tone rolled off a bit. Could I just have my tech disconnect the wire from the neck pickup to the tone pot, keeping it only on the bridge pup? Would that effect the tone adversely on either pup?

Picked up my Tremonti from getting some upgrades done. Installed Dragon IIs out of my CE, Phase II tuners and Tonepros bridge (thanks "Hopeful Sinner") & locking studs (thanks "Mikegarveyblues"). Guitar has been setup in Drop C tuning.

This thing is insane now!!

null-16.jpg

null-17.jpg

That looks awesome!
Is the hardware (bridge, pickups and tuners) chrome or nickel? Have you got a photo of the whole guitar?

Bernie question for Mike Garvey or any of the other Bernie owners...I never turn back the tone on my neck pup, but (usually) prefer the bridge tone rolled off a bit. Could I just have my tech disconnect the wire from the neck pickup to the tone pot, keeping it only on the bridge pup? Would that effect the tone adversely on either pup?

You could. It would make the neck pickup sound a little bit brighter.

This applies to all guitars with that has pickups connected to pots. Pots naturally "absorb" a bit of the tone even if you leave it at 10. So if you disconnect the tone pot from your neck pup, it will be just marginally brighter. Very subtle effect but could be a game-changer for some. I've done it to my SE Custom 24 when I first got it because I thought the neck sounded dark, I was very naive back then to think neck pickups should sound brighter, and like you, I don't use the tone pot in the neck position. In the end, I reconnected it because funnily, I missed the tone control over the neck pickup. :iamconfused:

You can try it out though, it's easy and reversible, so why not? :beer:

Thanks for the feedback, Garrett. Would you need to add a capacitor or change a value to not change the neck tone (I.e. not brighten it)?

BTW...I'm in the Atlanta area, too.:hello:

Yeah, a 470k resistor from the neck pickup hot to ground will get close to matching the load of the tone pot on 10.

Hey from Decatur! (can you see me waving?)

Mine was easy. I bought the SE Custom Semi-hollow Bigsby modified already. Sounds terrific. And it looks sooo good. It's not a good idea to just buy a guitar online in the US and sent it to the Netherlands, but I have no regrets at all. It's a fantastic guitar in perfect condition. I don't understand why someone buys a guitar,does a pricy upgrade and sells it in mint condition.

I just post the seller's page, so I don't have to make photo's myself now. :)

http://briansguitars.com/product/used-paul-reed-smith-se-semi-hollow-bigsby-limited

On the photo's the scratchplate doesn't shine. That's because the protecting foil was still on it. Ha! I'm not fond of the rotary switch, but it looks good. Better than the toggleswitch which was originaly there. And the alternative is a stratocaster 5way toggle and that just doesn't belong on this guitar. So the rotaryswitch stays.

But I want to replace the bridge for a rolling bridge or a smoother bridge, to keep in tune when using the Bigsby. Any suggestions for a replacement are welcome. Preferably not to expensive and easy fit without drilling. Is there one that just is a perfect replacement? Without loosing soundquality of course.

Hi guys, my SE CU24 (2008) is currently with my guitar tech having some major upgrades. Having Phase IIs installed, Dragon II in the bridge and 59/09 in the neck. Cannot wait, it should be a beast when it's done! Will post some pics. Also just got the SE Navarro as an early Xmas gift and will probably put some gold Phase IIs on it. It's a great guitar and happy with the pups so far but no doubt I will try and get some US HFS & Vintages bass upgrades in the future because I cant help tinkering!

Got my SE Semi-Hollow with Bigsby back from my tech tonight. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Had \m/ pickups installed and a tusqnut as well as all electronics. Had a kill switch and mini toggle for coil tapping installed. The pots are PRS and the input and 3 way are Switchcraft.

This thing is badass now!!
99efada642a181dd81fe66bb2b7e0358.jpg

2f86923bd5a48765c2637df8824d59b9.jpg

That looks stunning, totally stunning.

I know some people are taking and putting a third wire on their pickups for coil tapping, but has anyone make their pickups 4 wire for parallel wiring? I usually like to do a mod to my humbucker guitars for a Series/single/parallel and was wondering if anyone has done this with the SE HFS/Vintage setup.

Hi guys, my SE CU24 (2008) is currently with my guitar tech having some major upgrades. Having Phase IIs installed, Dragon II in the bridge and 59/09 in the neck. Cannot wait, it should be a beast when it's done! Will post some pics. Also just got the SE Navarro as an early Xmas gift and will probably put some gold Phase IIs on it. It's a great guitar and happy with the pups so far but no doubt I will try and get some US HFS & Vintages bass upgrades in the future because I cant help tinkering!

I LOVE the 59/09 in the neck of my Tremonti SE Custom. I'm sure it will KICK in the CU as well.
Ummmm...but...early CHRISTMAS GIFT??? Like Chirstmas 2013??? It's one of those mixed emotions things. I love NGDs but this is the first I've hear talk of Christmas this year :-(
You know...mixed emotions...like when your woman tells you...."you know...out of all your friends, you have the biggest you-know-what".
Bah HUMBUG!

Ha ha! ;-) No honestly it was meant to be for Xmas - I've been dropping hints for months to my wife that I would love the SE Navarro for Christmas but saw such an amazing deal on one the other day it had to be snapped up! Love the neck on the SE Navarro so comfortable and smooth. I guess as its 3 months til Xmas I may have to drop some hints about gold Phase IIs :) ah man I bet the 59/09s sound epic in your Tremonti SE - post a pic I'd love to see it! Can't wait to get my SE CU 24 back. Will be like a new guitar! Really interested to see what the middle position will sound like with the 59/09 and Dragon II combined. Has anyone tried that?

I bought an SE custom 24 last spring, The only thing I've done to it so far was scuff up the neck because I can't STAND glossy necks. I do plan on replacing the tuners, p/u's and possibly the nut if I'm feeling into it. I do have a question regarding my tone knob though! I noticed that my volume knob is very smooth, has a high quality feel to it, and my tone knob feels very cheap. It spins with almost zero effort, and almost feels "loose" like it spins too easily. Any thoughts?

Ha ha fair enough! I think I can answer your tone knob question as I own two different era SEs, a CU24 2008 model and the SE Navarro 2012 which is pretty much a 2012 SE CU24. On my 2008 SE the tone knob feels just as solid & smooth as the volume knob. On the SE Navarro it's a bit looser & less smooth. The difference electronically between the guitars of course is that the 2012 has the push pull tap function whereas the 2008 doesn't. I think it must be something to do with that. Hopefully they will improve on this with future SE models so that the push pull tone knob feels just as smooth as the Maryland guitars.

Another thing which I think is subject to debate - changing the nut - I asked my tech about this when I took in the CU24 & he's opinion is (he's been doing guitars for about 30 years) don't touch the nut on an SE because (a) they are very good & (b) you will never quite get an exact replacement. He said that the majority of so called tuning issues is because people don't stretch strings properly. I thought I stretched enough but he showed me on my own guitar & holy crap he really pulled on them. After doing that a few times & tuning up the guitar was fine! I felt a bit stupid considering I've been playing for 15 years! So using my newfound "wisdom" when I got the Navarro I stretched the crap out of the strings & retuned as soon as I got it out the box, did that 3-4 times & it stays in tune incredibly well. I've played the heck out of it for a week & only had to tune it twice & only slight adjustments. So I think there might be some truth in the stretch! Saying that I'm sure a lot of you on here would disagree & recommend replacing the nut.

Anybody replaced the push/pull pot and know of a good replacement? I've heard Dimarzio makes a good one, will it fit the tone knob?

I picked up a couple at GC a year or so ago for my SECU24, and they've been fine. Fit right in. Then again, I don't get anal about the quality of pots and stuff, as long as its not budget cheapies, I'm ok with it. I believe they were Allparts. Going to grab one for my Akesson today actually, anyone know if the 245 style guitars need long shaft pots?

Back