SE Mods

That's way too long man ha ha! I've had my SE Navarro for a week and already thinking about an SE Orianthi and a Torrero in royal blue. I'd swap out the EMGs on the Torrero with some Dimarzios without thinking twice! Dammit PRS stop making such great guitars at such affordable prices I'm gonna go broke! ;-)

Mikeyekim have you checked out getting a US PRS replacement push pull pot? Quality should be great provided it fits. I'm a bit fussy with PRS I like to keep the mods all PRS parts!

I'd swap out the EMGs on the Torrero with some Dimarzios without thinking twice!

Think twice. I'm not sure if it's the same on the Torreo, but I had to drill for a ground wire on my Nick Cantanese since EMGs don't require one. It wasn't a huge deal... but one I didn't expect.

I adore my sparkled Ori SE, what a great guitar!

I picked up a couple at GC a year or so ago for my SECU24, and they've been fine. Fit right in. Then again, I don't get anal about the quality of pots and stuff, as long as its not budget cheapies, I'm ok with it. I believe they were Allparts. Going to grab one for my Akesson today actually, anyone know if the 245 style guitars need long shaft pots?
Short shafts will work fine.

I bought an SE custom 24 last spring, The only thing I've done to it so far was scuff up the neck because I can't STAND glossy necks. I do plan on replacing the tuners, p/u's and possibly the nut if I'm feeling into it. I do have a question regarding my tone knob though! I noticed that my volume knob is very smooth, has a high quality feel to it, and my tone knob feels very cheap. It spins with almost zero effort, and almost feels "loose" like it spins too easily. Any thoughts?

I took a sandpaper to the neck too, the gloss looks pretty and classy, but when it comes to sweaty gigs or practices, it's a pain actually... That's why I love the SE Mikael Akerfeldt, but couldn't get over the idea of having a gold O on my guitar's top. :dontknow:

I've seen similar problems on all the S2s in my nearest dealer, I'm not sure if it's factory defects or that's how PRS wants it to be, but the tone knobs sure feel cheap. That said, for tone knob users, it could be a plus in live situations if they're going to just snap in and out from woman tone mode.

Ah thanks for the advice Sergio! I will remember that! Yeah the Orianthi looks great, love the Scarlet red colour too

Mikeyekim I think it would be great! You may have to scout eBay if PRS aren't selling direct replacements. Let us know if you have any luck!

I put a fun mod on my Akesson lastnight. A few years ago I picked up an Ibanez semi hollow, and the pickups were a horrible match - the output was fine, but the neck was wayyy too muddy and bassy, or the bridge too bright, depending on how the amp was set. So I used this mod:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/mod-squad-muddy-sounding-neck-pickup/

The capacitor takes away some of the deep bass, and man, that semi just SINGS now. I love the sound of the neck pu on a semi, just has that airy, mellow tone. So, sometimes the neck pickup on my Akesson, or any 22 fret guitar for that matter, is just a bit too deep for lower register chord work (I usually set my amp for a nice full tone on the bridge pickup, so the neck can get pretty wild). Then again, I love having the extra depth when I play leads. So I put the cap on a push/pull pot and installed it in the neck volume spot, and it's great! When engaged, it really tightens up the bass, I was getting some spanky SRV type stuff on the wound strings, and open chords stayed a bit more defined. And if I want that bass back, just pop the knob back down and no one's the wiser.

I was hoping to get closer to the semi-hollow tone, so I could sell the semi and thin the herd, but no dice there - the solidbody just has more of an immediate, punchy tone. Guess I'll just have to wait for the new Zach Myers sig :)

PS, if anyone's interested in this mod, the SD website lists the cap value as 0.047, and I believe it should be 0.47.

a Torrero in royal blue. I'd swap out the EMGs on the Torrero with some Dimarzios without thinking twice! Dammit PRS stop making such great guitars at such affordable prices I'm gonna go broke! ;-)

I have had a Torero for the past two years and thinking about getting rid of the EMGs well...I wouldnt be able to do it, cause I am clueless but theres just way too much 'echo' or sustain? in these pickups. (Sorry I have not played guitars for that long to completely understand the lingo)

I've had my Torero for over two years (one of my favorite guitars) and I swapped out the EMG's...for other EMG's. First an 81x/85x set, then more recently a 57/66 set. The latter are some of the best pickups I've ever heard, honestly. Very dynamic and sexy as hell in brushed chrome.

Just my opinion. I love my Seymour Duncans in my BC Rich's and Kramer's too. ;)

Finally got my 2008 SE CU24 back from my tech and it has a 59/09 in the neck, Dragon II in the bridge & Phase II locking tuners plus a set up for .10 gauge strings. It sounds & plays better than ever, really worth the investment. Now I just need some US black lampshade knobs & it's pretty damn as near as it's gonna get to the Maryland CU24. Would love to post a pic when I work out how to do it on here! On an iPhone at the mo.

First mod for my Bernie Marsden. Replaced the stock plastic nut with a Graphtech Tusq cut and shaped from a slab.

10339155103_82babaa9af_c_d.jpg

10339126233_1dc5aa95c5_c_d.jpg

10338974546_0f494698b3_c_d.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a whiter shade of cream pickup rings? The stock cream pup rings on my Bernie SE is too yellow for my taste.

Anyone know where I can get a whiter shade of cream pickup rings? The stock cream pup rings on my Bernie SE is too yellow for my taste.
I used the one that are put on the Maryland guitars on my white sc se. Added a great look and did not have to put in new wholes, it was an exact fit.

Back