SE Mods

Just got my Custom24 back from my tech. Had Phase II tuners (thanks "gush"), Dragon II neck pickup (thanks "Boogeyman") and a Dimebucker installed in the bridge. Also replaced the pickup rings and selector switch cap from cream to black.

My new "Metal Monster"
null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

Heres my se 245 with new knobs. Not a fan of speed knobs so i got these off ebay for 99 pence including postage.

Nice lampshade knobs. Can you say more specifically who you got them from? I did a search on eBay and couldn't find the same ones. And by the way, will any generic lampshade guitar knob fit the SE pots?

Nice lampshade knobs. Can you say more specifically who you got them from? I did a search on eBay and couldn't find the same ones. And by the way, will any generic lampshade guitar knob fit the SE pots?

I will pm you the ebay sellers name. As far as i know any generic knob should fit. I did have to open the splice a tiny little bit because they were loose. These came from hong kong btw

I will pm you the ebay sellers name. As far as i know any generic knob should fit. I did have to open the splice a tiny little bit because they were loose. These came from hong kong btw

Thanks, I was able to find a set of four. Free shipping too - amazing.

ok this is my boys guitar and he is still learning basically but I have always wanted to try doing a mod like this as it would be alot less expensive than a custom order USA guitar.

Well it started with a stock 2012 PRS SE singlecut. Scarlet red with the exposed maple binding look. So I am thinking ok what if it had USA electronics and pick ups. The knobs are WAY smoother on USA parts verses the stiff korean knobs etc. I also really like the feel of the lamp shade knobs. So I got a NEW HFS/Vintage pick up set Off Ebay from a dealer and then from PRS a Drop in 3 way w/ push - pull controls so I could coil split. I had already installed Gotoh Locking tuners on it.

So I got the pick ups in and ready to stick in the controls and the USA right angle toggle will not work as the threads are not long enough to go through an SE body. AND on top of this needed to strip pick up lead back quite a ways to get things wired to proper points in the electronics. I had not ever worked with pick ups with the braided outer shielding and did not know how to strip that back properly so I called my shop and told them what was up.

So I had the guitar restrung-- pick ups installed- and set up all that was needed was solder in the controls. So Went to Dave`s Guitar shop and instead of routing the body to clear the right angle toggle they installed a short Switch Craft toggle and worked perfectly( not to mention Switchcraft quality) They soldered it up and I got to try it out. NICE!! the Lamp shade knobs are nice too. the coil split adds more versatility to the guitar now too. Kind of a poor mans McCarty.
So Guitar $600 Tuners- $80 Pickup set- $195 Drop in Electronics $80 Shop to solder everything up and add a switch craft toggle $30 and Hard shell PRS Mulit fit case $129 So in all with case included under $1,100.
so here is the guitar

Hey Dane what do you Think of the Tonepros bridge?

I'm thinking about trying an adjustable stoptail on my Bernie.

I'll chime in here too.
I have that same bridge on my Bernie. It's ok. The saddles slots needed to be cut a bit deeper on mine. Bending the B and high E would pop the strings out of their slots. The Tone Pros stud inserts are too small to replace the SE inserts but (if you get the metric studs) the Tone Pros studs have the same threads as the stock inserts.
My only other quip is that it can be difficult to get the strings through it when restringing.
Other than that it's good quality and intonates well. If it didn't come with the guitar when I bought it, I would have just kept the stock bridge though. I never had an issue with them and like the feel of them when playing.

I'll chime in here too.
The saddles slots needed to be cut a bit deeper on mine.
My only other quip is that it can be difficult to get the strings through it when restringing.

These are my only issues, but I find them fairly minor. I like the bridge though....I dig an adjustable bridge.

Hey Dane what do you Think of the Tonepros bridge?

I'm thinking about trying an adjustable stoptail on my Bernie.

I have one I never got around to putting on my SE One which got traded recently. You are welcome to it... PM me and we will work out the shipping details...

I have one I never got around to putting on my SE One which got traded recently. You are welcome to it... PM me and we will work out the shipping details...

Arghhhh!

The offer is much appreciated and i'd have jumped at it, but....

I bit the bullet earlier and ordered the Schroeder stoptail and metric locking studs! :(

I'll be giving away the Tonepros (Chrome) metric studs (And spanner thingy) once they arrive in 2 -4 weeks so if anyone wants them let me know!

Back