SE Mods

You can get the tusq nut for under $10. I'm having one and Phase II tuners that I'm putting only Custom 24. I'm getting them done as soon as I get some new pickups and rings.

wow man, that's some great stuff and lots of work! did you refinish the front and side of the headstock only or the whole thing? If you've done the back as well, what happens to the neck colour? do you just spray the whole neck as well or keep the original colour? How much did you pay for the headstock decals?

Thanks!
I just refinished the face of the headstocks, not the sides or backside (or neck).
If you look closely at the SE245, you can see the tortoishell color on the sides of the headstock.
I actually like the "look" better than the Tremonti SE Custom, which is all black.

Once it's cleared, wet sanded and buffed out, it all blends really nicely and looks like it came that way from the factory. The decals were a little pricey ... they were around $25ea., if I remember correctly.
Worth it in the end, IMO.

Thanks!
I just refinished the face of the headstocks, not the sides or backside (or neck).
If you look closely at the SE245, you can see the tortoishell color on the sides of the headstock.
I actually like the "look" better than the Tremonti SE Custom, which is all black.

Once it's cleared, wet sanded and buffed out, it all blends really nicely and looks like it came that way from the factory. The decals were a little pricey ... they were around $25ea., if I remember correctly.
Worth it in the end, IMO.

$25 for the decals :eek: i see, i didnt notice the SE245's headstock, thanks for pointing out :D might want to try a natural coloured headstock one day, hmm...is the acrylic urethane you used same as the stock poly finish?

I've been wanting a set of tuners for my SE Custom 24, but then there's virtually no one stocking on good tuners in my place. Gosh, some place i live in! (it's not UK nor USA) Hell, we don't even have TUSQ nuts here. Imagine that. Might have to go to another city to hunt for them :/ but then I can't just walk away from college.

$25 for the decals :eek: i see, i didnt notice the SE245's headstock, thanks for pointing out :D might want to try a natural coloured headstock one day, hmm...is the acrylic urethane you used same as the stock poly finish?

To the best of my knowledge, the SE's are finished in the same acrylic urethane, not poly.

Ok, I'm finally getting around to upgrading my SE245. I've already got pickups, electronics and a Tusq XL nut but am now looking for the following.

TonePros locking posts (large head)
PRS USA wraparound bridge
Locking tuners
PRS lampshade knobs (black w/ clear)

Will the Schaller M6 locking tuners be a direct drop-in or must it be the mini's? Also, where can I get a reasonable deal on the PRS USA parts?
If anyone has these parts to sell, drop me a line.

Thanks

Can you get the lampshade knobs anywhere else or just from prs. I think they are a bit pricey but would look a whole lot better than the speed knobs on my se245

I've looked there but just can't pay out $60 + shipping for four plastic knobs.
Yah, I paid $30 for two(same price as PRS store) but it was worth it to me. I put the amber USA lampshades on my SE CU24. I really like the look better than the stock ones.

And there 's the rub about the cost of the knobs. I got four new 550K pots for $30.

Yeah, but those pots are not the sexiest thing that has ever happened to guitar knobs.... I lucked into my first set of lampshades, and they are worth every penny.

Yeah, but those pots are not the sexiest thing that has ever happened to guitar knobs.... I lucked into my first set of lampshades, and they are worth every penny.
The lampshade knobs look nice, but is it just a style choice or do they "play" better?

I put Schaller 3x3 Locking tuners and Seymour Duncan VINTAGE BLUES Humbucker Pickup Set SH-1 '59 Neck & Bridge on my SE Santana. The tone is now even across all strings and no overbearing lows as before. Next I am putting a PRS wide/fat wide/thin nut on it and some .010 set of strings. The quality of the stock electronics along with the professional manner they were installed and soldered put a smile on my face. I love this guitar! Something else I noticed about this guitar when it first arrived is the un-amplified tone and sustain is amazing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200882331538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited:
Back