SE Hollowbody thread

I changed my pre-order for a SE HB Standard, changing it to an S2 594, back in Jan. I recently came across an excellent condition used SE HB II at Dave's and snagged it. Fantastic guitar, the 58/15 S are great pups, and in this guitar sound quite different than the 594 with the same pups.

50337449262_058804a812_h.jpg

50337291461_12bdc3ff11_h.jpg
Well hello, gorgeous...

I changed my pre-order for a SE HB Standard, changing it to an S2 594, back in Jan. I recently came across an excellent condition used SE HB II at Dave's and snagged it. Fantastic guitar, the 58/15 S are great pups, and in this guitar sound quite different than the 594 with the same pups.

50337449262_058804a812_h.jpg

50337291461_12bdc3ff11_h.jpg
I’ve been watching one on the bay. I just received an offer that is really tempting me. I’m playing a lot of jazz these days and my jazz box is an Ibanez semi-hollow. Would the SE II make me happy?

I’ve been watching one on the bay. I just received an offer that is really tempting me. I’m playing a lot of jazz these days and my jazz box is an Ibanez semi-hollow. Would the SE II make me happy?

The II is a bit brighter (although may be closer to your Ibanez) than the Standard, which is a bit warmer/woodier, but still not dark at all with the 85/15S pups. Still a different tone than an outright deep-bodied jazzbox, but it works.

I’m interested in a couple of aspects of the SE II. The construction will likely be very similar to the Ibanez, which is a very playable instrument, however my understanding is the PRS is much closer to being a full on hollowbody, not a semi hollow.

The other aspect is the pickups. I expect the 58/15s to be pretty PAF, which is what I prefer. I replaced the pickups in the Ibanez with Giovanni HB-2s, which are pretty nice for the price. I expect that the 58/15s will be better. If I don’t like them, I’ll save up and get another set of Stormy Mondays.

To be honest the worst thing about the Ibanez is the old school gigantic headstock.

The SE Hollowbody is indeed a true Hollowbody, albeit a thinner one. It doesn’t respond like my big jazzboxes. It has its own sound, but it definitely sounds like a Hollowbody. The standard was a fantastic guitar, incredible tones, but I needed 1 piezo guitar for musical theater gigs. So I went with the Hollowbody piezo. Premier Guitar just gave both models gear of the year awards in the December issue.

This guitar though listed as used is almost certainly new. The hangtags are still hanging.

I played it last night. The neck pickup is pretty nice the bridge is much more twanging than my Ibanez, not necessarily bad. It seems like the setup could be tweaked a bit.

How much fiddling do you guys do when you get a new PRS? I've only bought used.

Well, I'm a "fiddler" by nature so I'm always going to go through and set ANY guitar up to my liking. So neck relief (truss rod), bridge/saddle height, intonation, nut slots, pickup height, pole pieces, etc may all get tweaked by me. PRSi usually need minimal 'fixing' -things like nut slot depth, fret ends etc. are in my experience usually all quite well done. But most of the other stuff is just setting up for personal playing preferences and I would never expect ANY guitar to arrive with all those things exactly how I like them.

Well, I'm a "fiddler" by nature so I'm always going to go through and set ANY guitar up to my liking. So neck relief (truss rod), bridge/saddle height, intonation, nut slots, pickup height, pole pieces, etc may all get tweaked by me. PRSi usually need minimal 'fixing' -things like nut slot depth, fret ends etc. are in my experience usually all quite well done. But most of the other stuff is just setting up for personal playing preferences and I would never expect ANY guitar to arrive with all those things exactly how I like them.
Yeah. I'll probably look at the relief, string height, intonation and pickup height. If I had bought the axe at Dave's this would not have been an issue. The guys at the Madison location have been doing magic the last few times I've brought a guitar in for a setup.

I bought an immaculate used SE HB II Piezo a little over a week ago, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with theirs...
While holding the guitar in the playing position, if I put a slight backwards pressure on the body with my right forearm near the bottom bout, the neck joint creaks. It's an audible creak. And it's a little disconcerting!

I have not removed the neck pickup yet to get a better look at the neck joint. But that's definitely on the 'to-do' list next string change.

While holding the guitar in the playing position, if I put a slight backwards pressure on the body with my right forearm near the bottom bout, the neck joint creaks. It's an audible creak. And it's a little disconcerting!

That sounds like an issue. Pretty sure that's not normal.

I bought an immaculate used SE HB II Piezo a little over a week ago, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with theirs...

I have not removed the neck pickup yet to get a better look at the neck joint. But that's definitely on the 'to-do' list next string change.

Sorry to hear about this, it would be disconcerting for me as well.

Some flex in the body is normal since it's a thin wall design. My hunch is there's more likely to be movement between the top and bracing than at the actual neck joint. The location of these two areas is very close so it could seem like it's coming from the neck.

Try loosening the pickup ring screws and see if anything changes. The pickup rings basically clamp the top and brace together. Maybe the movement is 'normal' and there's just a little binding between the pickup ring, top, and bracing?

Back