SE Hollowbody thread

Looking at the cut Hollowbody II, the block has a thick bit of Maple at the top on bottom and appears the same 'thickness' as the sides. It shows also that both the top and back are carved on both the top facing and undersides to reduce the thickness and match the carve.

Its no wonder these cost much more than a Solid Body...

I don't know if the SE's have 'solid' Mahogany sides in the same way - I thought they used thin strips and pressed them to shape (like Acoustics) and you can see the curfing on the inside - like an Acoustic. Solid Mahogany strips is OK for making sides - it doesn't have to be Laminated Mahogany...

As you can see from this image, you can see the Curfing through the F hole
se_hb_2_piezo_hero_large.jpg
Don't know about the sides, it would makes sense that they are laminate, but I would think the cutaway section would have to be a solid block...

I changed my pre-order for a SE HB Standard, changing it to an S2 594, back in Jan. I recently came across an excellent condition used SE HB II at Dave's and snagged it. Fantastic guitar, the 58/15 S are great pups, and in this guitar sound quite different than the 594 with the same pups.
In what way sounds different? Out of curiosity.

Don't know about the sides, it would makes sense that they are laminate, but I would think the cutaway section would have to be a solid block...

The sides are solid also.

The bound f-holes are created by putting a solid fillet in an enlarged opening and letting the CNC cut out the final size. Very clever!

I can’t find an image, but I’m pretty sure one was uploaded by @Shawn@PRS in Private Stock Friday thread.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to try 9.5. I should. I restrung mine with 10-46 DR Tite Fit but it seems a bit brighter. I ordered some Pure Blues and PRS Classics in 10-46 to try. Maybe I'll try 9.5s after. I also have locking tuners and bridge posts on the way =D
Those are the only two mods I did, everything else was first rate.

You can bend think 'solid' mahogany strips with steam and heat - laminate is just very thin sheets glued together but the same principal can be used with 'solid' but thin strips of wood too - probably easier to do the cutaways with 'solid' thin strips because the grain is all in the same direction. Acoustic guitars can use solid wood sides, tops and backs too - doesn't have to be laminates, can still be 'thin' and pressed with steam.

What I understood was that the top and pack of the SE's is made of laminated sheets whilst the sides are not laminated but still 'thin'. You can have Florentine style Cutaways on acoustics too and bevelled cutaways with solid Mahogany sides...

V-Class-Cutaway-Page-hero-slider-1.jpg

And that isn't much more than doing it on the top side as well

And a Double Cutaway Florentine style
bfrijfdr7v4itg5ihhu7.jpg

Of course the SE is much more likely to have more wood in the the top horn as that has a Strap button on it and you want more than just a thin strip of mahogany holding the weight of a guitar. Therefore I expect some wood would need to be glued in BUT you don't need Curfing if the sides are thick and if it starts off as a solid slab. There is NO point cutting more out of the middle either as the wood is 'waste' anyway so why 'waste' more just to add Curfing? It would also be a lot more expensive because more material is required - even if most of it is essentially cut out.

Regardless, its a different construction and more of an 'acoustic' like build - one of the reasons I expect they are made in China where PRS also have their Acoustic SE guitars made and not in Indonesia where the electric solid and semi-hollow SE's built. The clue is in the Curfing...

I'm curious, I was shocked after trying my first core Cu 24, as it was so much lighter and thinner than the SE. How do you reckon the width and shape will be different to the cores here?

So I looked at the measurements and lo and behold, my Ibanez AM83 semi-hollow is basically a wide fat 22 fret, with a slightly shorter scale length 24.7” v 25”.

Do we think (or know) that these SE guitars from China are shipped with PRS Classic strings? I just did my first string change and miss the old tone!

SE Hollowbody II Piezo definitely ships with PRS Classic 10’s. I’m happy to have my axe back, and kind of surprised how different it felt and played with DRs, which used to be my go-to string.

Do you like the way the strings sound?

Very much! In general, they seem very dynamic, and very rich without being too bright or too flat. In relation to the SE HB II, I feel like the tone matches the resonance very well. The sound is rich with harmonics, rather than any single resonance dominating like I had with 9 and 10 gauge strings of other brands (mostly DR.)

The locking tuners are great - I've never had strings on my guitar for such a short period of time, lol! I mean the ones I didn't like. I wasn't hesitant to re-string since the lockers make it easy. So from now on, it's only PRS Classic 10's for the SE HB II, and possibly the 3 other guitars I'm building.

I've been thinking about new pickup rings. I asked PRS if they had replacements, and was told they do not at this time. Just thought I'd share.

I'll have to take some measurements and see if there's something else out there that will fit, or customize or order custom rings. It's not too high on the priority list though.

cleardot.gif

Hi Joe,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Currently we do not have any replacement rings for the Hollowbody SE models. As the models gains in popularity, we'll add compatible parts to the accessories page.

Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Shawn
PRS Guitars
380 Log Canoe Circle

I've been thinking about new pickup rings. I asked PRS if they had replacements, and was told they do not at this time. Just thought I'd share.

I'll have to take some measurements and see if there's something else out there that will fit, or customize or order custom rings. It's not too high on the priority list though.

cleardot.gif

You could try Gear4music, they seem to have them in stock.

cleardot.gif
When I was changing my pickups I was trying to put new pickup rings on mine. They were very different than any other ring I have in my parts box. My US PRS rings are 3.5" wide, whereas the chinese ones are 3-5/8". It's only 1/8th of an inch, but with guitars, 1/8 is a lot when you're talking about neck thickness, intonation, action, etc.

There’s an SE hollowbody II on local Craigslist. The price is a little too high and his potential trades are nothing I own.

When I was changing my pickups I was trying to put new pickup rings on mine. They were very different than any other ring I have in my parts box. My US PRS rings are 3.5" wide, whereas the chinese ones are 3-5/8". It's only 1/8th of an inch, but with guitars, 1/8 is a lot when you're talking about neck thickness, intonation, action, etc.

Screw spacing, height, and taper are factors to consider as well. The screw spacing is my biggest concern.

Back