SE HBII Piezo wiring diagram?

mtnman82

Hoping someone on the forum, or maybe someone from PRS, can provide or post a link to a SE HBII Piezo wiring diagram? I'd like to look at the possibility of installing a coil tap on the tone knob...

There is none yet, I asked PTC. This is there answer to a couple questions I asked. IDK if it helps enough, but it's all I've got:

From PTC:
The SE Hollowbody is similar to the US made guitar, but the SE piezo system is a simpler design. Unfortunately, we don’t have an available diagram for that model yet.

(RE: are the mag pups indpendent from the piezo?) They are independent in the fact that if the battery on the piezo dies, the magnetic SE pickups will continue to work properly. On the US model, a dead battery creates problems with the magnetic pickups as well as the piezo.

Here is a link to the diagram for a Paul's Guitars. This would be the closest diagram we have for installing two mini-toggle switches: https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

Last edited:
I don't think I'd want to put mini toggles in the HBII, I'd want to go for push/pull pots. I asked about this when I bought the guitar and was told the push/pull pot would have to go on the volume pot, could not be put on the tone pot, due to the circuit board?

FWIW I was able to squeeze a push/pull tone pot into core model HBII nestled against the piezo PCBA. Ended up taking it out and adding mini toggles though since I like having the independent splits.

The other thing to be careful about is phasing the humbuckers against the piezo unit. On core models they install reversed phase versions for use with piezo units and you’ll get into trouble with the piezo blend of you aren’t careful (ask me how I know).

If you imagine the toggles in that diagram on top of the pots it would be the same as a diagram for push-pulls. The switch on a push-pull is independent from the pot. I doubt the tone pot is mounted directly to a PCB, so if you can replace the pot and have room for a push-pull, it should be able to go anywhere. But I haven’t done it yet so take that with a grain of salt.

I’ll try to take a look inside soon. You can see a fair amount through the piezo jack if you pull it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder on the phasing. I know it's easily overlooked. You drilled into a core HBII to add the mini-toggles? Can I see a pic of where you located them?

I understand the switch on the push-pull is independent of the potentiometer. What I was saying is I'd rather not drill holes into my guitar because I'd be afraid I'd screw it up. I'm actually having a new nut put on my HBII and had asked about the coil splits. The repair tech gave me the info on the push pull on the volume pot, and I trust the tech.

There’s some decent info in an older thread on TGP, linked below. This is regarding USA models obviously. Two main points are 1) pcb extends below the tone pot so a push-pull won’t fit, and 2) PRS didn’t use push-pulls on HB II because of concern for wear/stress on the thin top.

So if the PCB is the same size then that eliminates push-pull at the tone pot. Did OP’s tech look inside the SE? There’s a chance they are different since SE doesn’t have the toggle switch. So maybe push-pull fits in SE but not core? Sorry I always kick a dead horse, once. Not trying to disregard the tech, just want to make sure his assessment is not based off the core model layout which could be different.

I wouldn’t want push-pull on my volume pot, I don’t think. Although, dropping a coil does require a volume change. But my new amp (on the way) has a second master volume on a pedal so I’d rather use that for consistent volume.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/question-for-prs-hb-ii-owners.1316512/

Here’s an idea: a push-pull blend pot in place of the pup selector switch. It would require a spacer around the threads of the pot since the pot mounts in a smaller hole (I believe 1/2” for the pup selector and 3/8” for the pot.) So, a little more work but no irreversible changes to the guitar.

Back