SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by jdag, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

2. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

I did indeed watch the video. Watch starting at 10:02. The silk screen that goes on the back clearly says the guitar is manufactured bu CORT. My point still stands, these guitars are not being made by PRS, they are being made by Cort. Just like Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez, Jackson....this isn't like Yamaha or Sire who have their own factories in Indonesia and have their own workers making their guitars and basses. These are Cort workers. WMIC is known for top notch quality guitars, Cort, not so much.

3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

This particular Cort factory is indeed exclusive to building only PRS. It has zero to do with other brands. Squier and Epi both have the manufacturer named on their guitars too, albeit with only initials instead of the full name. Perhaps those other brands aren’t as proud to display the full name? ;)

Mozzi likes this.
  4. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

I get that, but its still made by Cort, not PRS. I would prefer they do it like Yamaha where they have actual Yamaha workers making them, not Cort workers.

5. MichaelC24

MichaelC24 New Member

This new factory produces 100% PRS SE guitars, regardless of who their manufacturing partner is (in this case PT Cort / Cor-Tek).
    The outside of the building says PRS Indonesia, and the workers will be focused solely on making PRS..
    I absolutely believe this will be a huge positive for the company moving forward, and also a well thought decision that will only benefit both PRS and their customers. This is the best time in history for GREAT, affordable Instruments. This will further challenge the market to step up in quality, and I see this as something that more companies will adopt in the future.

6. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

Cort is indeed a step down from WMIC in Korea. Squier switched from Samick in China to Cort in Indonesia for the new Classic Vibe series and the quality has dropped considerably according to myself and many others. We will see how the new SE guitars are though.

7. shimmilou

Mbell75, as far as current produced PRS in Indonesia, on what are you basing your statement about lower quality? As several of us with experience owning/playing the Indonesian PRS have pointed out, there is zero quality loss. Forget about other brands, we are talking PRS made in a factory exclusive to them. Do you have any experience with Indonesian PRS?

bodia, Mozzi and MichaelC24 like this.
  8. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

They are still made by CORT and Cort is a step down from WMIC, period.

9. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Show me where I said that the factory was 'PRS' in Indonesia?

What I said was that PRS have their own area where the staff only make PRS guitars - if you read what I wrote. If you had watched the video properly, you would have heard that a specific part of Cort was dedicated to just making PRS - those staff are not doing a run of PRS, a run of Ibanez, a run of Epiphone etc just making PRS guitars and have had help and guidance from US PRS staff. They are made under licence of PRS so you are right that these staff are not PRS staff themselves but that doesn't mean that they are any worse than WMI or that they cannot consistently make SE guitars to an acceptable minimum standard and that minimum standard being the same minimum standard expected from WMI. That doesn't mean that their quality is any less than WMI either and the fact that these staff will be only making PRS SE guitars can only benefit PRS and PRS customers.

I would love to see your evidence that categorically proves that the Indonesian made PRS guitars that are coming out since they moved to that dedicated PRS section are significantly worse than the equivalent guitars that were made by WMI. You also have to factor in how many guitars that had to involve more work by the US staff prior to sending them out to retail and the number of guitars that had to be 'scrapped' because the quality wasn't good enough and the cost to fix outweighed the cost to scrap. For all you know, more Korean made guitars were not up to the standard and involved more US staff hours getting them up to a sellable standard than the guitars coming in from Indonesia right now. I don't have the figures either way which is why I am not categorically stating that Indonesian SE's now are worse than Korean SE's were before - especially when the Korean factories first started making SE guitars for PRS. Its possible that the last year of Korean SE's were 'better' but maybe the Indonesian factory is much better than the Koreans were when they started. Either way, I don't have the facts to back any of this up - do you??

MichaelC24 likes this.
  10. shimmilou

Oooooh, I see now. When you use the word “period”, that settles it, despite actual evidence to the contrary. :rolleyes:

bodia, MichaelC24 and Mozzi like this.
  11. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

Go pick up a Schecter or Chapman made by WMIC and pick up a new Squier Classic Vibe or Epiphone made by Cort and tell me which is the better made guitar. WMIC has a reputation for only making top notch instruments. Samick are close behind them and Cort is a distant 3rd. In fact, WMIC is the main reason why Korean made guitars have such a great reputation, second only to made in Japan. Are you new to guitars or something?

12. MichaelC24

MichaelC24 New Member

Why don’t you go pick up a Gibson, and tell me what you think about QC. Odds are your going to find something to complain about on a $1000 ++++ USA made guitar. I owned a Les Paul Standard that came with an unusable nut and terrible QC standards. It has everything to do with the company, and what they are looking to achieve. Fender moved the line to squeeze out as much of a profit as possible, that’s why quality went down. Gibson did the same thing with their import line....
    Paul & Co have a reputation of quality for a reason, they haven’t lasted 35 years and became one of the Big 3 by luck. I trust they made the right decision, and by injecting their culture and USA manufacturing processes into this new factory I have no doubt these guitars will be just as good, if not better than any of its predecessors.

bodia, shimmilou, Mozzi and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

I played a Cort made PRS SE today that was quite nice actually. Didnt notice any flaws on it and it sounded great. Im in the market for a new 245 SE right now but looking at a used one for $200 less than this one. So far so good with the Indonesian made PRS.

[​IMG]

shimmilou, Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  14. ItsMyMoney

ItsMyMoney New Member

My Zach Myers frets and neck are baby-butt smooth, and was the deal-maker for me (it's a WMI Korean model).

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

FWIW, the Cor-Tek Made in China SE guitars are fine by me.

[​IMG]

#215 Tim S, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    dogrocketp and shimmilou like this.
  16. Acnestes

Acnestes "If I can do it, it's not art." - Red Green

I have an Indonesian made Custom 24SE, about to be sent back into the time vortex, that should never hav left the factory. The neck joint is a mess. The neck sits so deep in the socket that that not only is the edge of the fingerboard binding flush with the top of the guitar, instead of being about 3/16" above, but you can feel a slight concavity where they actually milled down the surface of the body so it wouldn't be even worse! To bring the action down just to the PRS 5/64" spec I had to lower the trem to about 1/16 and drop all the saddles practically flush. To actually make the action decent, I had to file the saddles down 1/16"
    I just got a new Custom 24 SE from Sweetwater with the rosewood veneer, which is Korean, and It is a far better guitar. I'm not condemning all Indonesian guitars, but the one I got was a clunker.

As it happens, I just got to try out a Strandberg the other day, which was very interesting, and they are in fact made in Indonesia. I'm toying with picking one up, but to tell the truth among other things I'm really hesitant to drop that kind of money on an Indonesian guitar, despite the fact that the pros are playing them.

bodia likes this.
  17. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson New Member

Pauls Guitar SE Indonesia.
    Delivered new straight from warehouse of major instrument retailer in UK 3 days ago. Getting swapped out next week. Some minor faults, but this..!!
    Edit. Did insert photo of very bad nut fixing, but not showing.

18. Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato New Member

Welcome to the forum. I think you need to post 3 messages before you can start uploading pics but that aside, can you describe the issue?

I've mentioned before in other posts the SE guitars sold in the UK have been QC'd at the factory and again at the European QC dept. here in the UK so UK customers should expect no issues with new guitars. However the law of averages suggests some rogue guitars do get through.

19. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson New Member

At the top string side the there is a gap between the nut and fretboard and the bottom of the nut, excess glue and the nut is proud of the side of the fretboard. And a minor niggle, one of the screws on the back plate is totally burred over and sharp. I did post some pics on the PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide Facebook page.

20. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

These are issues that your dealer will rectify for you.

bodia likes this.