Is my PRS SE Silver Sky Neck/Headstock Twisted ???

Nathan Shane

Hey everyone, I need some other eyes and opinions regarding the neck/headstock of my PRS SE Silver Sky. I’ve been giving the guitar a setup to my liking and I’ve been mostly successful in doing that. But as I went along, I was having some difficulty dialing in the 6th and 5th strings to my liking. I decided to sight down the neck and it appears to me that the neck/headstock is twisted. Look at these photos and tell me what you think. I looked down the necks of my PRS SE Custom 22 and Fender Stratocaster and there’s no twist to be seen on those necks. Can some of you check your guitars and see if you see anything like I’m seeing. It can’t be an optical illusion.

hard to tell from looking at the neck from the end. I Check the neck from viewing from the nut on the high E side, then on the low E side. One eye closed. Like target shooting a rifle with open sights. That will give you a more Accurate answer, imho

From the pictures, it looks alright to me. A bit of an illusion because of the radius of the nut being higher on the Low E side

Also, I heartily approve of the Mountain Dew - nectar of the Gods!

Here are a couple photos where I use a red line to call better attention to what I believe is a gradually twisting neck/headstock.

Okay, let’s try this…since it may possibly be an optical illusion, I blackened out the nut so that it no longer contributes a visual issue. So, does anyone now see how the neck’s fretboard and frets start off horizontally level, then gradually start to tilt downwards to the left?

Okay, let’s try this…since it may possibly be an optical illusion, I blackened out the nut so that it no longer contributes a visual issue. So, does anyone now see how the neck’s fretboard and frets start off horizontally level, then gradually start to tilt downwards to the left?

The string angles relative to the edges of the neck are contributing to the optical illusion as well. Really need to see a shot directly down the center with no strings. IMHO

I do see it……If it is twisted, it’s an easy fix… bolt on a new neck. Is it under warranty? An SE or core model SS?

It’s the SE Silver Sky and purchased new on August 6th. So it’s still in warranty. In fact, I had to contact PRS Customer Support because one of the tremolo/bridge pivot screws screw head was somewhat deformed. They sent me a new pair of pivot screws for free.

On another note, regarding the SE Silver Sky’s headstock, is how it is attached to the neck. On my SS, it’s very easily seen as shown in the following photos. It’s an interesting design but it also strikes me as being susceptible to twisting.

Scarf joint glued properly should not be a problem!

I would definitely contact PRS again. They'll probably send you a new neck to easily bolt on.

Okay, I contacted PRS and they want to see my SE Silver Sky for themselves. So they issued an RA and paid for FedEx shipping to their Maryland location. Good thing I kept all the original packaging. It makes it so much easier when you keep “all” the original packaging. Growing up, my father instilled in me to:

1. Always keep all original packaging.
2. Open boxes carefully and skillfully.
3. Do not rip or tear any papers or cardboard.
4. Keep all plastic bags, foam, cushioning.
5. Be able to send an item back looking like you received it.

Anyway, I dropped off my SE SS at FedEx and it’s on its way for forensic analysis. LOL!!!

Here are the photos I shared with PRS Support to help them understand what the problem is.

Okay, I contacted PRS and they want to see my SE Silver Sky for themselves. So they issued an RA and paid for FedEx shipping to their Maryland location. Good thing I kept all the original packaging. It makes it so much easier when you keep “all” the original packaging. Growing up, my father instilled in me to:

Anyway, I dropped off my SE SS at FedEx and it’s on its way for forensic analysis. LOL!!!

Here are the photos I shared with PRS Support to help them understand what the problem is.

Let us know how this turns out….

That's a great illustration! Good luck on a positive outcome!

PRS have been using that style of scarf joint for 10 years now, starting with the S2 series. All the current bolt-on models use the same design. It's a very sound approach.

But yeah, based on those pics something doesn't look right to my eye. Glad to hear that PRS is taking a good look! I'm sure they'll make it right if something is wrong.

Greetings fellow PRSers…I wanted to update everyone regarding my SE Silver Sky neck being twisted. But firstly, I have to give props to PRS Customer Support, the PRS Tech Center, and especially for Ryan and all his help and assistance, he rules when it comes to customer support. In fact, I have to say that I was absolutely shocked and delighted by the level of professionalism PRS showed me. They take customer service and communication to levels I would have never thought existed. On a scale from 1-10, they’re an 11 (a nod to Spinal Tap there).

After examining my guitar, PRS decided to replace the neck with a new one. But there was more to it than that. I had already modified the neck by enlarging the tuner holes in the headstock so that I could install GraphTech Ratio Tuners. At that time, I was unaware there were actual PRS SE Silver Sky Locking Tuners available. I communicated to Ryan that I DID NOT want the new neck modified in any way whatsoever. He quickly communicated with me saying they were going to supply a new neck and return the guitar to factory specs. I was very pleased.

Well, here’s where there’s more to the story. Not only did I get a new neck, but I also got a new set of factory tuners (and they sent to me both my GraphTech and the original tuners). In addition, they also replaced my tremolo/bridge. They even used the saddles I had installed (see attached photo). The new neck was NOT twisted as seen in the photos I posted here. In fact, the new neck’s frets were just immaculate from the first to last fret, with no sharp edges, and polished smooth as ice. The new neck put the original neck to shame. All I had to do was lower the action about 1/64” across all strings and I was in SE Silver Sky Heaven.

It's great that PRS corrected this and that they didn't void the warranty because the guitar had been altered with new tuners.

In all my years of buying and selling guitars I've only had two guitars with a twist in the neck that couldn't be fixed with a neck replacement.

One was a real '51 Tele and the other was an early 70's ES-345.

Last edited:
Back