SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by jdag, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson New Member

Shame they slipped through 2 QC checks.

PDC and Acnestes like this.
  2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

That is true

3. NBW

NBW New Member

I have only owned SEs (used ones at that) and that will likely continue. I played most of the guitars at GC before I laid my hands on a SE, the neck carve works for me. They seem like great instruments.

I lent my SE custom to my friend who plays jazz for a living. He used it for half his gig, he was playing a nice tele for the first part of the show. He raved about the axe and asked me how much it would cost to replicate the guitar. I think that says that these guitars are good enough for me.

4. Acnestes

Acnestes "If I can do it, it's not art." - Red Green

As a minor upgrade, I suggest you trundle down to your local hardware store and get some flat-headed brass screws (until you can get gold plated ones, of course ;) ) of the same specs and replace the stock domed ones. No more snags and it looks very classy.

5. rammer69

rammer69 New Member

I just purchased a 2018 Santana SE Indonesion every thing seems fine, I also have a 2010 Korean both seem to be same quality

shimmilou, dogrocketp, Boogie and 2 others like this.
  6. pgj

pgj New Member

I'm a little late to this party as I just got my first PRS...a 2020 SE Standard 24, on the back it says made by Cor-Tek in Indonesia. It is certainly a better made instrument than my MIM Strat. In fact, when I was in the market for a new guitar, I was set on getting another Strat. I had a budget to get an American Strat, but when I discovered PRS I was totally blown away by their fit and finish. Strats look like cheap toys to me compared to even the entry level SE Standard. I checked out some of the higher level PRS guitars, but I couldn't tell a difference so I went with the one that was half the price.

No offense to Fender, but PRS is on a different level. Now, I am a new player (less than a year) and am really not qualified to critique the finer points of overall playability (I know some people just prefer Strats or Teles, or LPs or whatever), but from a fit, finish, appearance and overall presentation perspective, man these PRS guitars are works of art. Mine is flawless. The only thing I had to fix (and it's not really a flaw) was the gap around the back plate you could see some of the unpainted wood showing through (the electronics compartment wasn't completely painted). The easy fix was to take a black Sharpie marker and blacken the lip around the plate. Other than that I have been amazed at the build quality on this thing...and at only $450 I don't think any manufacturer can match it.

Ovibos, shimmilou and dogrocketp like this.
  7. 68reissue

68reissue New Member

That story made me smile. I have two SE CU24s, and sometimes I’ll pop down to Guitar Center and just grab a few guitars of different makes off the wall. So far, none of them have tempted me at all.

dogrocketp likes this.
  8. David R. Katz

David R. Katz VonBach

I've become an unwitting PRS collector, much to my wife's chagrin. I have a 2018 SE STANDARD Santana, a 2018 STANDARD 24, a 2018 STANDARD 245, a 2018 SE Custom 24 Zebra, and a 2011 SE Santana. All the STANDARD guitars were made by P.T. Wildwood, Indonesia. In or around 2019 PRS dropped P.T. Wildwood and started using Cor-Tek (Cort) to make their STANDARD line. Cor-Tek is now also making some of their SE line of guitars. My SE Custom 24 Zebra and SE Santana are World Musical Instruments (WMI) Korean made. All are really nice instruments. Obviously, the Korean WMI SE guitars have a maple cap and are more expensive. As for quality, they are all very good. The Zebra is "breath-taking", the others are pretty and very well made. I tried to post a picture but it wouldn't take....

9. David R. Katz

David R. Katz VonBach

PRS STANDARD 24, PRS STANDARD 245, PRS STANDARD SANTANA...all PT Wildwood, Indonesia, 2018
    [​IMG]

PRS SE Santana, WMI, World Musical Instruments, Korea, 2011
    [​IMG]

PRS SE Custom 24 Zebra, WMI World Musical Instruments, Korea, 2018
    [​IMG]

#229 David R. Katz, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    shimmilou, Alnus Rubra, Tim S and 5 others like this.
  10. David R. Katz

David R. Katz VonBach

I'm posting this picture because this is an example of impeccable Ibanez Indonesian craftsmanship. It is every bit the equal of the Indonesian and Korean PRS guitars I own. It plays and sounds and looks beautiful. $650 new. The only modifications I made were the D'Addario locking tuners and my favorite knobs. I think the issue of Indonesian quality is moot if you take it on a guitar-by-guitar basis.
    [​IMG]

Wakester likes this.
  11. NBW

NBW New Member

I have an Ibanez AS-83 it is a really fantastic axe, maybe my second favorite. The fit and finish are top notch.

12. pgj

pgj New Member

Man, I like that wood grain so much more than the traditional PRS flame or quilted. Beautiful!

shimmilou likes this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Nice family! Congrats on falling down the Rabbit's hole!