SE 22 vs SE 245

Matt_H

I'm learning to play guitar, and am in the market for my first electric guitar. I'm a Maryland guy so I'd like to support a Maryland business (I'm aware the SE's are made overseas), like PRS.

I think I have it narrowed down to the SE 22 or the SE 245, and I thought I'd ask the boards advise. I'm still learning, so I'm far from being able to play what I'd like to play, but ultimately I'd like to play everything from old country music (haggard, Waylon) to 80s 90s rock like Guns n Roses and Oasis. What are your thoughts? I'm having a hard time finding these guitars in a store, to try them out. Would the 22 or 245 be my best bet? Or is there a model I don't have listed that I should look at?

Where are you in Maryland, Matt? Washington Music Center, Brian`s and a couple of others should have what you want to see. I had an SE 245, which my son now owns. The neck was more in tune than any guitar I`ve ever played, period. I didn`t bond with the 24.5 scale, and my son already had a 24.5 archtop, so dad took care of him. I love the 25 scale. I have an S2 22, which I bought used. I`d tell you to get one of those, if you can find them. They are great, Maryland made, and you could get a used one for the price of an new SE.

For learning and especially comfort, I recommend the SE245. A few of my students went this direction (in PRS or a Les Paul) and still appreciate the decision. Both of my sons received SE245s as gifts (and I bought one back, recently...which I now gig along side some expensive Maryland made models) and love them. Easily one of the best values in a guitar from anyone, period. Put light strings (.009s) on it and it will help develop your finger callouses with less discomfort and less pressure to fret notes.

Both excellent choice's an would say try both an go with the one that suits you.. Myself I would go for the 245 but I'm a sucker for a lp style guitar..

Back