Saving a PRS CE-22

There has got to be some room for her in the current touring band for The Who. She out Townshend, Townshend! BYW, saw The Who Saturday night. AWESOME rock show. Pete was absolutely on fire.

Oh man! That wife was way past mad, more like strait hate with a passion.
Your friend must have done something really really bad..
That hurts to even look at, I hope you can fix her, good luck!

Last edited:
make sure you take into account the angle of the neck pocket when going from a trem to a stoptail or you may have some issues.

If that guitar resucites, I suggest to call it Frankenstein's Guitar and add a sticker with the "it's alive, ALIVE!" sentence

mairj, there is saving a guitar, and then there is necromancy. Props to ya for taking the project on.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am by no means a professional at this stuff, but I LOVE tinkering with hopeless guitars. This is by far the biggest project I have ever taken on. I have even cut warped necks off of neck through guitars and "rebuilt" the neck pocket area and made them bolt ons. But this is a whole new thing for me. Lol.

Here's the latest update. Sorry I have been away for a few days. Things got hectic.

I routed the neck pocket and pickup openings this evening. I may have routed the neck pocket a wee bit too deep, but I can always just cut a shim to fit in under the neck. I'm not too worried about it.

I had never routed pickup openings before, so it was something new and different for me. They are not perfect, but that's what they make pickup rings for. Lol. I think it will look fine once the pickups and rings are installed. I had an old humbucker just laying in the toolbox in the garage and used it to make sure that it would look ok once they are installed.

As you can see in the original pictures, the bridge pickup was toast. I himmed and hawed about what pickup to get for the bridge. It originally had the US made PRS HFS pickups. I really didn't want to put anything cheaper than that in it. So, I finally broke down and ordered a HFS bridge pickup. It was pricey, but at least it will have the original type of pickups in it.

I still have some touching up to do on a couple small cracks, but then it will be ready for sealer and primer. The primer process may take some time. I may see some more imperfections showing through once the primer is on.

0325161836_zps9xbmfm81.jpg

make sure you take into account the angle of the neck pocket when going from a trem to a stoptail or you may have some issues.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I bought a replacement neck, but I don't have it yet. I have to admit that I purchased a set of guitar building plans online. The plans are basically for this guitar. I wanted to make sure I had some decent measurements, and a good reference for what I am doing. The plans call for a three degree angle on the heel of the neck. But admittedly, that is for a trem system. I just figured that I would see what it looks like when I get the neck. I can always shim and work on the neck pocket to make it work.

Started priming the body. I was initially looking for anything that wasn't covered well enough with filler to prevent it from showing through. Here is where it is at...

5759_zps16ylzskt.jpeg

You're doing so much better than I could. Great job!

Back