Saving a PRS CE-22

mairj40

I have a very sad story. I get a PRS CE-22 from a guy who's ex absolutely destroyed it. She stabbed it, smashed it, and shot it. The neck is a complete loss. The body is in several pieces. Pretty much the whole middle section of the guitar, where the pickups and bridge are, are gone. One of the horns is broken off as well. I am not sure that I will be able to salvage any of it, but I am going to try. I currently have the two halves of the guitar in the clamps at home waiting for the glue to dry. The guitar is basically in the shape of a "U".

My plan is to trim the edges of the broken parts in the center of the body and make them as straight as I can. Then I'll cut a solid piece of oak or maple to fit into the center where the wood is missing. The guitar originally had a trem system on it, but I am planning on using a Wilkinson wrap around bridge on it when I put it back together. I'm thinking that having the extra structure of the wood in place of the trem cavity would be a good idea. I think this guy will need all the reinforcement and strength it can get.
cid_FAB537D3-246A-468E-9562-F11EF002C56C_zps7ssurhb0.jpg

cid_E008612B-442E-442A-AABD-27B02101A018_zpslsflhquy.jpg

cid_6046B1B9-2C15-4AE1-958B-BDBE6C5B8406_zpskhj051vt.jpg

Here's today's progress. I made a Mahogany block to fill in what was missing. It is current;y in the clamps drying. I also started filling in some of the bullet holes with Kwik Wood, an epoxy wood filler.
0319161842-1_zpssz8pjbfz.jpg

I hope I never see rage on that level. Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Good luck with your project!

You might want to sacrifice a daisy rock or something to siphon off the bad mojo...

I hope I never see rage on that level. Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Good luck with your project!

You might want to sacrifice a daisy rock or something to siphon off the bad mojo...

Lol. Thanks. My biggest question now that the "horn" is somewhat replaced is how far apart the pickups are supposed to be. Since that whole section of the body was basically missing, I am not sure where the bridge pickup goes for sure. I know the neck pickup goes right at the base of the fretboard.

Take some measurements on another 25" scale guitar to position your bridge and pups.

The Guitar Center here has a CE-24 in stock. I believe it has a 25" scale also. Would I be able to take the measurement off of it? I am not sure if that distance would be greater on the 24.

The scale does not change with the number of frets. It is a set length from the nut to the bridge.

Any guitar with a 25" scale length will have the same distance between the nut an bridge as another with that scale length.

Since you will be putting pups and bridge in what now are unmarked postitions, you can make your guitar either 22 or 24 fret...

22v24.gif

Be interesting to see this come together. Definitely following this thread. Hope everything works out well.

Man, I hope he did something more than leave the toilet seat up!

Terrible thing to see happen to a great guitar. But you're doing a noble deed by trying to resurrect it. Best of luck. Love seeing the pics of the progress.

"I have a very sad story. I get a PRS CE-22 from a guy who's ex absolutely destroyed it. She stabbed it, smashed it, and shot it."

Did he forget to put the lid down?

Sergio, is that you? ;)

Sseriously big kudos for taking this one on, it's a big project with many risks but by looks of it you've got the skills and determination to pull it off!

This may help your bridge pickup problem :)

Back