Satin finish?

Chris J

Hi
First post here as I’m looking at buying my first prs guitar- likely a 594
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about the satin finish option. Love the look of it but is it more vulnerable to wear/ damage? Any other advantages/ disadvantages over gloss finish?
Also is this finish usually more or less expensive than the gloss finish?
Thanks

I have the PF09 satin nitro finish on mine. I don't know if the satin finish on the 594 is nitro the same as mine, but in general, the satin finish isn't any more vulnerable to wear/damage than the gloss - however, it does show 'wear' in the sense that areas that are touched often buff up and become more glossy, so it won't stay looking satin all over unless you intend to look at it rather than play it. I can't think of any particular advantages/disadvantages other than that though.

The only thing to be aware of is satin, especially nitro finishes, turn glossy after years of contact and rubbing of arms or hands etc, they are also harder to keep clean if they are a dark colour. But I think they look better.

I also think they feel better

nitro finishes, turn glossy after years of contact and rubbing

Years of contact? mine took a mater of months before glossier patches could be seen with only fairly moderate playing - especially on the neck. I've given the whole guitar a bit of a buffing so it's less noticeable, but it also means it's less satin now.

Years of contact? mine took a mater of months before glossier patches could be seen with only fairly moderate playing - especially on the neck. I've given the whole guitar a bit of a buffing so it's less noticeable, but it also means it's less satin now.

+1
Mine went shiny pretty quick as well. Especially where I rest my picking hand. "Pledging" does even it up a bit but same.. now it's all a bit more shiny.

Having said all this, I do really like the PF09 satin finish and would certainly have it again - specially in a more vintage inclined model as it has more of a traditional feel. I'm sure it would suit a 594 very well.

Damn dude! I guess it depends on the finish type.

I have had one gloss up like that but another guitar that is 40 years old and only just getting the old wet look these days

Satin over a highly-figured top will not “pop” the figuring like gloss. Some like that look. Personally, I wouldn’t pick a highly figured top and cover it with satin, but hey, that’s just me. That’s why guitar companies offer different finishes.

Yeah! IMHO, listen to somebody who knows! I don’t care for satin finish bodies. Love it on necks if done right. But several “this could be for me” guitars that came finished in satin (DWCE for example) have been far less interesting to me because of the satin finish. I’m not ragging on them at all and if that’s what you like, that’s cool. I just don’t care for them on nicely figured wood, and have been disappointed in several models. But this is ALL wood dependent, for me. On the Reclaimed series of others with those type woods, it seems to me to be the ONLY option and I’d not only have no problem with it, I’d LOVE it. But on a nice piece of flamed or curled or quilted maple, or Koa, or.... not so much for me. Shine that thing up. IMHO

Satin over a highly-figured top will not “pop” the figuring like gloss. Some like that look. Personally, I wouldn’t pick a highly figured top and cover it with satin, but hey, that’s just me. That’s why guitar companies offer different finishes.
This is true to an extent, the satin will mute the figuring of the wood. It will end up looking like a vintage nitro finished guitar where the finish has hazed over (where what starts as gloss goes the other way). This may or may not do it for you. Like I said, on more vintage inclined guitars it works for me.
Still plenty of figuring visible here..
L92SL7d.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of good info. Keep in mind the only way you're going to get a satin finished 594 is Wood Library, Private Stock, or one of the random one-off core paint jobs. They're definitely out there, though.

I helped a friend pick out an S2 Standard 24 with satin finish. It's very, very thin. It will show wear more easily. The plus side? The damn thing rings like a bell and has tone to die for.

Does anyone here have a method of turning gloss spots back to satin? Is there a preferred method (dare I say PTC approved)? In my mind it must involve some very light "roughing" with something with a very light abrasive property. The satin nitro on these guitars (mine is no exception) is very thin so I am not likely to try anything, but just curious.

If you have a crash and you polish it to vanish it, it willl come shinning...
Satin is nice but don't stay in time.
I like take care of my guitar :cleaning and using polish if needed, impossible with satin.

If you have a crash and you polish it to vanish it, it willl come shinning...
Satin is nice but don't stay in time.
I like take care of my guitar :cleaning and using polish if needed, impossible with satin.

Yes the more you touch it, the glossier it gets. It's hard to go back to completely satin because it does mean removing finish. And then it will still buff back out in the areas that get touched regularly.

Ultimately you just have to accept the patina that comes along with satin.

Yes the more you touch it, the glossier it gets. It's hard to go back to completely satin because it does mean removing finish. And then it will still buff back out in the areas that get touched regularly.

Ultimately you just have to accept the patina that comes along with satin.

The patina is great, it's make the guitars yours. What scares me is the accidental scratch.

Back