Santana Retro

Rosewood neck , brazillian fretboard and delicious quilt ....it needs the brown paisley case :(
pogt5guxsucqg8tcyytj.jpg

Full of treacly goodness.

Rosewood neck , brazillian fretboard and delicious quilt ....it needs the brown paisley case :(
pogt5guxsucqg8tcyytj.jpg
Yeah, I saw that one too and drooled! Did not post because I am hoping to snag it, but won't know if I can for a few weeks!! If someone here does get it, I am sure it will have a happy home!!!

yeah , I'm in the same boat .. it's perfect ..but my CFO has me on a short leash after 6 new guitars and an amp last year ... so unreasonable !
Luckily I've always had a pass on building as many as I want.....so This one Inspires me...

.I've got a Gorgeous billet of Curly Koa for the body and a billet of Quilted Sapele for the 3 piece neck with a Chakte Vita center ( Pernambuco's cousin , this piece rings like crazy) . Probably a Ziricote fretboard .. that stuff just looks cool.
psew-3574.jpg

Last edited:
I read that the bridge pickup in Carlos’s guitars uses a ceramic magnet and the neck alnico 2. Is this true?

I know that at one time Carlos had Seymour Duncan make him some JB bridge pickups with a ceramic magnet instead of the usual alnico 5 magnet.

That pickup became the Duncan Distortion.

Essentially a JB with a ceramic magnet.

Last edited:
The 2009 pickup chart shows neck is AlNiCo and 7K , the bridge Ceramic and 10K The PRS Santana Retro is loaded with a 58/15 pickup in the bridge In the neck is a Santana pickup. This pickup was designed in collaboration with Carlos

I love Inspiration / despiration / serendipity ... So as I'm pondering the build , I'm thinking it really should have a rosewood neck .. so as I'm browzing my favorite wood vendor ( who supplies PRS among others) I came across this sweet Cocobolo neck blank..... a rare find

needless to say it found a new home ....now hmmm what fretboard ...natural ebony, ziricote, premium rosewood??
l023938.g.001.jpg
DSC_3037_93725665-9e32-4062-a80c-cdaf66127d8c_533x800.jpg

Last edited:
I love Inspiration / despiration / serendipity ... So as I'm pondering the build , I'm thinking it really should have a rosewood neck .. so as I'm browzing my favorite wood vendor ( who supplies PRS among others) I came across this sweet Cocobolo neck blank..... a rare find

needless to say it found a new home ....now hmmm what fretboard ...natural ebony, ziricote, premium rosewood??
l023938.g.001.jpg
DSC_3037_93725665-9e32-4062-a80c-cdaf66127d8c_533x800.jpg
That’s @Tosca ’s guitar. I think it’s a Brazilian top? Maybe he’ll chime in.

ooolala adventures in the forest proved delightful ....a fresh 2" billet of Spalted Maple for the Santana is on it's way
98707d1675452777-time-40th-anni-spalted-maple-9582c-2-x8x33-s204-jpg

....there's enough to do a Cocobolo/Spalt/Cocobolo 3 piece neck ..that would be slick

Last edited:
Back