Santana Retro

They are perfection ;)
index.php

A couple of questions for you Santana veterans, has anyone played the korina body? I've found a gorgeous retro with a Korina body and Torrified Maple / Ziricote neck that is just a dream. Korina is a delightful wood , tends to be a bit brighter than Mahogany , I love maple necks , and torrified ones generally have a bit fuller tone, I'm wondering if that combo might be a bit bright for the Santana vibe.
qmgm5klzdjxicmrfdifs.jpg

woui8pqupt2pz9eh8xe4.jpg
just to make Life a bit more interesting, there are two nice Westies on reverb, This one looks MINT and the seller offered 10% off but I have to wait until after the holidays at least .

That's been on there over a year, he's shooting for the moon on the price.

woui8pqupt2pz9eh8xe4.jpg
just to make Life a bit more interesting, there are two nice Westies on reverb, This one looks MINT and the seller offered 10% off but I have to wait until after the holidays at least .

I'd also note: necks on westies are BIG, 1" 12th fret and substantial shoulder. Ditto kt33s. Have that R7/R8 feel.

The necks on my retros are thin by comparison.

A couple of questions for you Santana veterans, has anyone played the korina body? I've found a gorgeous retro with a Korina body and Torrified Maple / Ziricote neck that is just a dream. Korina is a delightful wood , tends to be a bit brighter than Mahogany , I love maple necks , and torrified ones generally have a bit fuller tone, I'm wondering if that combo might be a bit bright for the Santana vibe.
qmgm5klzdjxicmrfdifs.jpg
I had this one for awhile. Black limba back and maple neck. It was definitely brighter than the "regular" wood combo. Not sure what effected it more, the back or the neck. Not at all in a bad way, IMO. Just different

8nYDJlk.jpg

PlGW3zs.jpg

Sure was! Not really sad that I sold it. I miss the AP from Wilcutt more. The unfinished maple neck and ebony board with \m/ pickups. That's one that I should have kept.
That was also a fun guitar!

I could never get over the burst on that one though. It’s petty but, I hate when they spray the burst over the purfling.

Either way, I’d only miss the KL if I were you.

That was also a fun guitar!

I could never get over the burst on that one though. It’s petty but, I hate when they spray the burst over the purfling.

Either way, I’d only miss the KL if I were you.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the wrap finishes. Ruins it, IMO. The KL-33 was also a fun guitar! If I were picking between the PS and the KL, the KL would win.

Thanks all , I passed on that and continued searching as that was snatched . The only "missing" combination in my PRS family is a rosewood neck , which to me fits the Santana tone thing well . I found this one this morning ... temptation is HEAVY Quilt Maple 10 top, Mahogany body, East Indian Rosewood neck, Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard with the Abalone and Paua Bird inlays, Brazilian Rosewood headstock and of course the obligitory paisley case .

nabtnja9vkfoitshb5jf.jpg

Thanks all , I passed on that and continued searching as that was snatched . The only "missing" combination in my PRS family is a rosewood neck , which to me fits the Santana tone thing well . I found this one this morning ... temptation is HEAVY Quilt Maple 10 top, Mahogany body, East Indian Rosewood neck, Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard with the Abalone and Paua Bird inlays, Brazilian Rosewood headstock and of course the obligitory paisley case .

nabtnja9vkfoitshb5jf.jpg
I drooled over that one today as well! Not a chance in my world right now, but I hope you snag it!! I think you still need an MEV and a Vela as well though ;~))

nabtnja9vkfoitshb5jf.jpg
Oof! Definitely WOULD!

I’m considering purchasing a Santana Retro. I currently own a CU24, DGT, Tremonti, and a Silver Sky. Will the Santana provide anything that I’m currently not getting from my lineup? Also, what are your thoughts on the Santana?
The neck size is hinted at in a few posts, but it did surprise me at first in that it is big, yet at the same time very comfortable and easy to get around on because there are no shoulders that get in the way.

The pickups will also surprise you too. Buckets of tone and clarity, and so versatile. They can go soft and sweet to absolute distorted hammer with a tight bottom end. But double-check which pickups are in it. Some (early) retros had I think 57/08 or something in the bridge or neck (I forget exactly what and where).

The scale is a tad shorter than a Les Paul and makes it slinky but not flabby. And you still get 24 frets.

The neck size is hinted at in a few posts, but it did surprise me at first in that it is big, yet at the same time very comfortable and easy to get around on because there are no shoulders that get in the way.

The pickups will also surprise you too. Buckets of tone and clarity, and so versatile. They can go soft and sweet to absolute distorted hammer with a tight bottom end. But double-check which pickups are in it. Some (early) retros had I think 57/08 or something in the bridge or neck (I forget exactly what and where).

The scale is a tad shorter than a Les Paul and makes it slinky but not flabby. And you still get 24 frets.

I’ve recently bought a 2014 Santana. Not sure if it’s a Retro, but the neck doesn’t seem big, it’s very comfortable.

You’re not wrong about the tone and capabilities of the pickups.

Mine is such a delight to play, so easy.

I was watching a rig rundown from Premier on Santana ... both of his have rosewood necks , an all brazilian on his US tour , indian on the CITES effected countries. This was a nice affirmation on my hunt for one with a rosewood neck . Interestingly he was playing II's even though the later models were out.

Back