SE DGT convince me

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Ok. So I was thinking about saving up for a core DGT, but since it will be a few years before that happens, and I would rather get the Herman Li signature with the dragon inlays (yeah I’m still dreaming that’ll happen), I thought “what about the SE DGT”? People say it’s “as good as the core”. Now I currently have a swamp ash WL MEV, Santana Retro, S2 594 thinline, Holcomb SVN, 2022 Studio, Fiore, CE 24, core silver sky, CU24, S2 Vela, Mira 245 soapbar, CE22, Suhr classic T, and 1976 ES335. I prefer the thinner necks for sure. I may be getting a tax return, so is the SE DGT worth it?

Yeah I hear ya. I’ll never get to just try one out. The neck is what’s keeping me from getting it. I get the impression it’s on the thicker side. Also looking at a Paul Allender. Bat inlays look cool lol

Last edited:
Reason Enough? The neck is actually smaller than most core models. Not sure of the particulars, but the PRS website can tell you, IIRC...

OENCmMF.jpg

Reason Enough? The neck is actually smaller than most core models. Not sure of the particulars, but the PRS website can tell you, IIRC...

OENCmMF.jpg
Thank you. Yes, I've looked, but I guess I'm wondering from anyone here who may have the core and SE and have compared them. I only have one SE the SVN and it's so different from the others is why I love it.

Yeah I hear ya. I’ll never get to just fry one out. The neck is what’s keeping me from getting it. I get the impression it’s on the thicker side. Also looking at a Paul Allender. Bat inlays look cool lol

I was worried about the neck too, being a big Fender Modern C fan. No need. The neck is great, and in some ways even more comfortable than the Modern C's I have loved for years.

I was worried about the neck too, being a big Fender Modern C fan. No need. The neck is great, and in some ways even more comfortable than the Modern C's I have loved for years.
it looks like the thickness is about the same as my Fiore. And I love my Fiore. (who am I kidding I love all my PRS)

Yeah I hear ya. I’ll never get to just try one out. The neck is what’s keeping me from getting it. I get the impression it’s on the thicker side. Also looking at a Paul Allender. Bat inlays look cool lol

Well the neck seems to be within tolerances of the DGT neck from the core Line so if you are concerned about the shape of the neck, buying an SE may well be a decent way to find out if the DGT is for you or not. You know how a 'core' body feels with its more pronounced Violin Carve but the SE should still give you a good idea as to whether or not that particular model is for you or not - without spending as much to find out - and if you decide it's 'not' for you or want to upgrade to a 'Core', you won't lose so much selling 'used' or trading in.

All I can say is watch the video of its creation, you get some measurements but its 'not' that Chunky at all - unless you are comparing it to Ibanez Wizard necks - but I also appreciate that its a personal thing and what I consider 'not' chunky maybe too thick/wide for you.

Only you will know if its 'worth it' to you. Its certainly not a 'quarter' of the guitar the Core is for around a quarter of the price so from that perspective, its a bargain. For some, the difference between an SE and Core is definitely not worth it - get 4 SE's for the price of just 1 core - yet another person will feel that all the 'little' differences add up to be well worth paying for.

Unless you can get out to try a DGT - either SE or Core, you'll never really know if its going to work for you. Buying an SE would at least give you a good idea of what the Core is likely to offer too. You'll have a better idea of whether or not to keep saving towards a Core DGT or Herman Li Sig (if that EVER happens) or stick with the SE - even use it as a beater or customise/mod it.

Well done Bob, how are you finding it?
Reub,

Although the guitar sits in my living room on its hanger, I've not spent a lot of time with the guitar as of yet. My current project regards the DGT SE involves building an approximate copy of DG's DG30/2x12 with a modded Plexi 50W amp model. After viewing several DG videos and how he dials in his sound, it's easier to see where Dave rides his guitar volume and tone knobs for his signature tone.

DG goes for a brown Plexi-type sound that sits on the edge of breakup at guitar volume 6 or 7. Dave prefers to use the coil-tap for cleans, or just rolls off the volume and uses dynamics for cleans instead.

The DGT SE tone knob goes from warm and wooly from about 0 to 3, and then gets appreciably brighter after that. Dave typically keeps his tone below 3 and lower. Dave also prefers the bridge pickup of his guitar, and uses the neck sparingly for rhythm and dynamics where something warmer is required. THE DGT SE 'S' pickups are lower output, but are smooth and well-balanced. (Supposedly, they were tweaked to imitate one of DG's ES-335 PAFs)

Dave has several YT interviews that describe all of this. He also makes use of several effect pedals that add boost, overdrive, chorus, and delay. His effects are comparatively simplistic and are straight-forward plug 'n play.

I'd love to post a sound-clip sometime, but my recording skills and chops are piddly-poor just now. My hope is to put together something in the next several months that can showcase the DGT SE, but don't hold your breath waiting...

SEs are not Cores. Just in case that is not super obvious to everyone. SEs are cool and good quality, but the difference is substantial. Don’t let looks and marketing hype deceive you. But if you want an SE, absolutely buy it. They are good.

SEs are not Cores. Just in case that is not super obvious to everyone. SEs are cool and good quality, but the difference is substantial. Don’t let looks and marketing hype deceive you. But if you want an SE, absolutely buy it. They are good.
SE's are not Cores. You're right. But sometimes they are absolutely professional guitars.

I think the SE Silver Sky is a professional instrument just as it is, with no upgrades.

But other SE's need new pickups, controls and wiring to become 100% professional instruments. And a good set up, of course.

My SE Soapbar has Gibson P90's and new volume and tone pots. My other SE Singlecuts have Duncan humbuckers and new volume and tone pots.

After I gave them a professional quality set up, they now look, play and sound like professional instruments.

Maybe the Core model Singlecut would be slightly more resonant, or lighter, or something.

But my SE's are all professional level instruments.

Last edited:
Back