I can only choose one? Which though?

I face a similar dilema from time to time. Having a few of your models in my collection I'd agree with the 594 HBII , or an HB I or Archtop if you can find one.
I approach aquistions with the same type of parameters most do :
1) is it in budget , or can I justify stretching a bit for it
2) equally important Does it fit a need not satisfied by the other 33 ?
3)Will I play it often , or is it just LUST ? Will I kick myself later for passing it up ...( probably the BIGGEST one I wrestle with)
Excellent points!

As you’ve got the Studio, you have some Narrowfield pickups, so the NF3 is only 1/3 different. Similar case for the SAS Narrowfield. So I won’t suggest those. The 513 mentioned above used to be in your price range pre craziness-of-Covid-and-silly-pricing-since. Used prices still haven’t regained sanity, so the earlier suggestion to “sock” the money until you find something in the right price band applies to the 513. It’s a worthy add (I have two of them), and the most versatile guitar out, in my opinion.

ioOKq0I.jpg

I have to second the McCarty Hollowbody Spuce as a viable option. Neither of mine have piezo pickups, so if you don’t like those, no problem. I also had a 335 type, a 1978 Yamaha SA2000. It sounded lovely, but I also hardly ever played it because it was huge and heavy. The HB Spruce does most everything the SA2000 did well, weighs much less, and has the size and feel of a normal PRS. If you always wished you wanted to play the 335, an HB Spruce will fill that bill. Side note: hanging on to the 335 is a class move. It’s more than just a guitar.

M2MbGDZ.jpg

The only other I would recommend is a 594 Soapbar Limited Edition. I favor the SC version, but it’s really the combination of this guitar and the special run of pickups to match it that make it a standout. If you want real deal P90 tone in a guitar that feels solid as the Rock of Gibraltar, this is your ticket to ride.

hUv2OAB.jpg

All previously posted, but who doesn’t like posting family pics?

Last edited:
Wow, the 513 is mostly out of my range. Found a couple that are within...
Yeah. couple swamp ash versions within range. Problem is they don't make them anymore so you have to search for one in very good to excellent condition for a reasonable price. On a different note, I will say your arsenal is pretty damn good to begin with.

As you’ve got the Studio, you have some Narrowfield pickups, so the NF3 is only 1/3 different. Similar case for the SAS Narrowfield. So I won’t suggest those. The 513 mentioned above used to be in your price range pre craziness-of-Covid-and-silly-pricing-since. Used prices still haven’t regained sanity, so the earlier suggestion to “sock” the money until you find something in the right price band applies to the 513. It’s a worthy add (I have two of them), and the most versatile guitar out, in my opinion.

ioOKq0I.jpg

I have to second the McCarty Hollowbody Spuce as a viable option. Neither of mine have piezo pickups, so if you don’t like those, no problem. I also had a 335 type, a 1978 Yamaha SA2000. It sounded lovely, but I also hardly ever played it because it was huge and heavy. The HB Spruce does most everything the SA2000 did well, weighs much less, and has the size and feel of a normal PRS. If you always wished you wanted to play the 335, an HB Spruce will fill that bill. Side note: hanging on to the 335 is a class move. It’s more than just a guitar.

M2MbGDZ.jpg

The only other I would recommend is a 594 Soapbar Limited Edition. I favor the SC version, but it’s really the combination of this guitar and the special run of pickups to match it that make it a standout. If you want real deal P90 tone in a guitar that feels solid as the Rock of Gibraltar, this is your ticket to ride.

hUv2OAB.jpg

All previously posted, but who doesn’t like posting family pics?
Thank you, yeah, as much as I have considered it, the 335 will stay and may even become an heirloom, maybe along with one of my PRS. I have noticed the used prices are pretty nuts for a lot of models.

I would second 513 or a HB 1 or 2 no need for the Piezo like them better without

Question what don't you like about your 335 ( mine sounds killer just weighs a metric TON )

IMG_8167 by
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kmhpfG]IMG_6461 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
Those are gorgeous! You know, I can't put my finger on why I don't enjoy the 335. I am beginning to wonder if it's the hollowbody/semihollow thing that I don't enjoy? Like, I have the ZM SH and I like it but I don't love it like every other guitar in my aviary, but I like the 24.5 neck and it's good for keeping at my desk at work. But I love playing my McPherson acoustic. I supposed it's like, I really enjoy calisthenics and working out with gymnastics rings, but try as I might never enjoyed working out with weights...

How does the 513 neck curve compared to my studio or fiore?

Thank you! I've considered the Floyd, then I wonder about the added "complications" that come with the Floyd. Especially given that I rarely use the whammy bar. I don't even know why I keep forgetting it's there. At most I would use it for chord vibrato.

Apart from the models I listed, then you aren't really going to find much variation over what you already have. The MEv covers such a wide tonal Palette on its own, let alone the rest of your collection. Whilst it may not 'exactly' be a tele, it can still give you a 'similar' tone in a mix.

Therefore I tried to suggest PRS guitars that enable you to do 'something' that the others can't - whether that's add in a Piezo or Locking down the strings and having a bit more range on your Whammy bar - Should you want to do any of those 80's 'Rock' tricks like Flutters, Dive bombs/pull ups etc. Things your Current crop of guitars don't offer...

Well, lots of good suggestions.

My €0,02 could be a P90 McCarty. They are not a myth and can be found from time to time. Another option could be a starla. Kind of gretschy, but with balls. Not so many of these are floating around anymore, but worth the search.

I have both of the suggestions I made in my stable and live them.

Ok, so I am looking at my final guitar purchase for a very long time, at least until the twins are out of college... My current line up:
1976 Gibson ES-335
2007 CE-22
2010 Mira (25th Anniv)
2018 McCarty 594 SC
2019 S2 Vela
2020 CU24
2021 Silver Sky
2021 Fiore
2021 CE-24
2022 SE Zach Myers
2022 Studio
2022 Santana Retro
2022 Modern Eagle V
2022 SE M Holcomb SVN

I play them all (except the 335, which I force myself to play to get it out of the case).

I am trying to find something that I can't replicate that is different than what I have, even if it is outside the PRS lineup. I was sent an offer on a Suhr Classic T, but is there even a PRS that I can't currently cover? I feel like maybe the Suhr will fill that tele gap? Since I haven't found a Tele I liked...ever. Or a Strandberg?

And... my budget is 3000.00
I know your cap is 3k…… but a “ Paul’s” (used) could be a crap ton o fun

I'll second . McSoapy's Rock ! GREAT tone the 4 controls are a bit more versatile .. .if you can fine the triple pickup .. oh yes...
I've got an '01 and it will always be with me .

Apologies if it’s been mentioned, but a DGT some great tones. However as soon as the SE hits, I predict the core “used” price will become healthy.

Apart from the models I listed, then you aren't really going to find much variation over what you already have. The MEv covers such a wide tonal Palette on its own, let alone the rest of your collection. Whilst it may not 'exactly' be a tele, it can still give you a 'similar' tone in a mix.

Therefore I tried to suggest PRS guitars that enable you to do 'something' that the others can't - whether that's add in a Piezo or Locking down the strings and having a bit more range on your Whammy bar - Should you want to do any of those 80's 'Rock' tricks like Flutters, Dive bombs/pull ups etc. Things your Current crop of guitars don't offer...
I truly appreciate it! Still thinking.

Well, lots of good suggestions.

My €0,02 could be a P90 McCarty. They are not a myth and can be found from time to time. Another option could be a starla. Kind of gretschy, but with balls. Not so many of these are floating around anymore, but worth the search.

I have both of the suggestions I made in my stable and live them.
Hmm interesting. Any idea what the neck carves are on those?

Ok, so I am looking at my final guitar purchase for a very long time, at least until the twins are out of college... My current line up:
1976 Gibson ES-335
2007 CE-22
2010 Mira (25th Anniv)
2018 McCarty 594 SC
2019 S2 Vela
2020 CU24
2021 Silver Sky
2021 Fiore
2021 CE-24
2022 SE Zach Myers
2022 Studio
2022 Santana Retro
2022 Modern Eagle V
2022 SE M Holcomb SVN

I play them all (except the 335, which I force myself to play to get it out of the case).

I am trying to find something that I can't replicate that is different than what I have, even if it is outside the PRS lineup. I was sent an offer on a Suhr Classic T, but is there even a PRS that I can't currently cover? I feel like maybe the Suhr will fill that tele gap? Since I haven't found a Tele I liked...ever. Or a Strandberg?

And... my budget is 3000.00
I own and love my fair share of PRS guitars. They are my number one brand. With that said, I own a few Suhr guitars as well. Two of them are custom builds. You can't go wrong with this brand either. If you are looking for something he makes, I would go that route.

Back