Santana Mutilation

I guess my first two questions would be:
1) what is the motivation to do something like this?
2) why was there not a sooner point in the process where you went “uh oh!” And stopped?

It’s like... “screwed that up badly. What’s next?” I’m going to agree with whoever said earlier that some people should not be allowed to have power tools, and I’ll add that some people shouldn’t be allowed to have guitars either!
1) The Dunning-Kruger Effect.
2) see answer 1.

The fact that he's not asking for more is proof that he's realized that he's not the talented luthier he originally thought he was. With wisdom, comes humility.

That guitar reminds me of the botched restoration of the Ecce Homo. Look it up if you want a laugh.

Last edited:
Maybe the unskilled luthier is a fan of Brian's Guitars...noticed similarity this morning ...still love my T-shirt...(sorry, Brian...)

Last edited:
This guy must be really hard up for money. I mean, for $200, I certainly wouldn’t out myself publicly on CL like that. I’d bury it and pray no one discovered my dirty secret.
I kind of like that he is owning it. It’s probably still a good value at $200 for someone who would otherwise be stuck with something from Walmart that wouldn’t stay in tune for a full verse.

And in the spirit of confession. I did take a saw, and a wood rasp and I forget what else and do unspeakable things to a cheap bass. I did this after I had a much better one which made the cheap one disposable. Once you get started on one of these improvement projects there really isn’t much point in backing down. I mean, it’s wrecked, so you might as well try everything else you can think of and see how it goes. You might even learn something.

I kind of like that he is owning it. It’s probably still a good value at $200 for someone who would otherwise be stuck with something from Walmart that wouldn’t stay in tune for a full verse.

And in the spirit of confession. I did take a saw, and a wood rasp and I forget what else and do unspeakable things to a cheap bass. I did this after I had a much better one which made the cheap one disposable. Once you get started on one of these improvement projects there really isn’t much point in backing down. I mean, it’s wrecked, so you might as well try everything else you can think of and see how it goes. You might even learn something.

Since we're confessing...I did have a similar incedent with some crown moulding one time. I even attended a DIY class at Home Depot and everything!....it was bad...how bad you ask? As in...a $400 in replacement crown moulding, a $200 invoice from home depot contractor, 14 stitches, and a permanent scar BAD! So yeah, iI can't play with sharp objects or powertools anymore...I'm a danger to myself and others...

Since we're confessing...I did have a similar incedent with some crown moulding one time. I even attended a DIY class at Home Depot and everything!....it was bad...how bad you ask? As in...a $400 in replacement crown moulding, a $200 invoice from home depot contractor, 14 stitches, and a permanent scar BAD! So yeah, iI can't play with sharp objects or powertools anymore...I'm a danger to myself and others...
Wow. That’s pretty bad.

Back