NGD - Wood Library CU24

Bookface

New to me anyway, it's a 2017 guitar that just looks brand new. As far as I can tell this guitar has been held very gently and cuddled for 5 years. Finding it actually meant that I've altered the build I was trying to get PRS to do as Private Stock since the specs were so similar. Main difference is a swamp ash body on this. Colour is blood orange which is a new one to me, I'd never heard of that one. African blackwood board, maple neck, abalone inlays. Very pleased with this one. Even has a black paisley private stock case!

I do plan on making some new tuning pegs for it as well as maybe some wood plates for the back of the body. My own private stock mods, if you like.

And since we all know this thread is worthless without pics...

FqZLnm4.jpg

MN9eaod.jpg

iPdyEc4.jpg

yAELW1i.jpg

Beautiful. Great color. I'd love to see a close up of the grain on the back of the body.
Ask and ye shall receive. Also grabbed a couple more of the back of the neck (the figure did not look this vibrant in the dealer pics online, VERY pleased with how it looks in person), and the inlays. I checked the spec sheet, they're not abalone, they're gold mother of pearl.

aWVMy3J.jpg

vd2eKbP.jpg

OZNihgW.jpg

How do you make tuning pegs? I've been wanting to try it for awhile, but I've never looked into it.

Sweet guitar btw. Wow.
Well...I'll be doing a lot of work on my belt sander! My plan is to forge something called mokume gane (It's Japanese) and is a composite of silver, brass, and copper. You can do it with gold and other precious metals too, but that seems like overkill. I'll be using a milling machine to make sure the holes and everything are the right shape, then grinding to the right shape. I'll add a couple of pics below. The idea is to squash them together until you start to see layers, similar to folded steel blades. You can manipulate the pattern in various ways if you want a specific look as well. Here are two examples, one of a plain billet, the second as a decorative piece on a knife I made. As you can see it can be very pronounced or subtle depending on how you treat/polish it. I guess the aim here is to out-private stock the private stock boys

4hM0n1S.jpg

oBbBFGk.jpg

And thank you everyone, thrilled with this guitar!

Back