New Member and Question(s)

A few things come to mind:
1) I'm not the boss of you. If you've got the money and the desire to buy something, buy anything you want (guitars, cars, watches, comic books, guns, cigars and a humidor, artwork, a band saw, shoes and belts, boats, motorcycles, cameras, etc...) to buy.

2) As someone in the local music community who is frequently asked, "I want to play guitar, what guitar should I get?" (once already this week), I basically gave you my standard answer. The important things that beginning guitar players need are: tuning stability and good intonation (both from the instrument and from your fretting hand), good action ("string height"), and solid ("non-flaky") electronics. Take it or leave it.

3) I'm in a completely different place regarding, "I am of the mind that you should buy as much as you can afford and that inspires you to play everyday." I'm of a mind that a person should get a solid piece of gear, determine their level of commitment, their willingness to become proficient and what they want to become as a musician, and then start looking for the tool that will help them achieve that goal. That journey starts with lowest possible overhead, not the highest.

4) I'm coming from a completely different place, regarding: "When I go through a slump where I don't want to practice, it definitely helps to put a beautiful instrument in my hands." One's practice routine should not be contingent upon inspiration, thus the word "routine." @ss in chair. Hands on guitar. Every. Day.

That said, let me repeat: I'm not the boss of you. If you've got the money and the desire to buy something, buy anything you want (guitars, cars, watches, comic books, guns, cigars and a humidor, artwork, a band saw, shoes and belts, boats, motorcycles, cameras, etc...) to buy. It's all just meaningless stuff, right?

Sounds like we are in agreement then!

I may actually keep my strat so I have a solid body guitar as well. I really like my strat and tele, but the pickups and semi-hollow aspects of the Special are very intriguing. Not to mention they are stunning to look at as well.

I appreciate your perspective though. A Silver Sky has crossed my mind in the past, but as soon as I saw that SSH I forgot about everything else.
Sounds like you'd better scratch the itch what brought you (to mix a couple of metaphors). But it sounds like your journey is in early stages yet, so don't be too freaked out if you go through a few guitars before you really KNOW what you like. I figured it out pretty quickly the first time I played, back in the '70s and '80s. I landed on a used strat and used Martin D-28, both in about 1978, and had 'em both for 25 years and they were my only guitars. I had more resources available to try stuff when I got back into playing a few years ago and I went around the block a few times before landing back on a Strat (although not a Fender this time) and a Martin (an all-hog 000 this time). It may take time and experimentation...

There are a lot of valid opinions around here, but as long as you don't put yourself in the poor house, buy what you like and enjoy the process of discovery...

-Ray

Hi, all.

I am new to the forum and have some PRS questions.

As a background, I have been playing guitar for 1.5 - 2 years. Started with a Martin D-18 switched to a Martin OM-28 then discovered electric guitars when I bought an American Professional Strat. I also have an American Elite Tele (long story). I've since sold my OM-28 as I never put down my electrics.

From a music perspective, I have always been into the Dead and now (since 2017) have opened up to Dead and Company. I recently saw the Super Eagle II and started searching for something similar. I discovered the PRS Special Semi-Hollow. I am GASing really bad for this and am contemplating selling my Tele and Strat or just my Tele so I have both SH and SB guitars.

With the coronavirus lockdown I am unable to play a Special SH, but could order one from Guitar Center to see if I like it enough to replace my other guitars. My playing level is definitely not up to a guitar of this price, but I am of the mind buy as much as you can afford and inspires you to play everyday.

Questions:
  • Does the $3,850 - $4,450 price tag get me a significantly better guitar than the $1,500 - $1,800 cost of my Fenders? From experience you usually get what you pay for, but this is by far the most expensive guitar I have considered purchasing.
  • I have heard a lot of people say how comfortable/easy to play PRSs are, but I do not know anyone that owns one. What is the general consensus on what is so great about a PRS vs other guitars. I know this is a broad, subjective quesiton.
  • At guitar center there is a $3,850 "PRS Custom Special Semi-Hollow" and a $4,450 "PRS Special Semi-Hollow." There is not a description of detials for the $3,850 model. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these two guitars? They look exactly the same. Maybe one is an earlier model?
  • I am also seeing some labeled Limited Edition, but again I am not seeing a difference. Does anyone know what features are different on the limited models?
  • Lastly, Guitar Center said they cannot discount PRS. Is this the common response from retailers?
I appreciate any responses and insight to PRS.
Hi, all.

I am new to the forum and have some PRS questions.

As a background, I have been playing guitar for 1.5 - 2 years. Started with a Martin D-18 switched to a Martin OM-28 then discovered electric guitars when I bought an American Professional Strat. I also have an American Elite Tele (long story). I've since sold my OM-28 as I never put down my electrics.

From a music perspective, I have always been into the Dead and now (since 2017) have opened up to Dead and Company. I recently saw the Super Eagle II and started searching for something similar. I discovered the PRS Special Semi-Hollow. I am GASing really bad for this and am contemplating selling my Tele and Strat or just my Tele so I have both SH and SB guitars.

With the coronavirus lockdown I am unable to play a Special SH, but could order one from Guitar Center to see if I like it enough to replace my other guitars. My playing level is definitely not up to a guitar of this price, but I am of the mind buy as much as you can afford and inspires you to play everyday.

Questions:
  • Does the $3,850 - $4,450 price tag get me a significantly better guitar than the $1,500 - $1,800 cost of my Fenders? From experience you usually get what you pay for, but this is by far the most expensive guitar I have considered purchasing.
  • I have heard a lot of people say how comfortable/easy to play PRSs are, but I do not know anyone that owns one. What is the general consensus on what is so great about a PRS vs other guitars. I know this is a broad, subjective quesiton.
  • At guitar center there is a $3,850 "PRS Custom Special Semi-Hollow" and a $4,450 "PRS Special Semi-Hollow." There is not a description of detials for the $3,850 model. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these two guitars? They look exactly the same. Maybe one is an earlier model?
  • I am also seeing some labeled Limited Edition, but again I am not seeing a difference. Does anyone know what features are different on the limited models?
  • Lastly, Guitar Center said they cannot discount PRS. Is this the common response from retailers?
I appreciate any responses and insight to PRS.

First of all, your screen name is awesome! Most Jerry Garcia & John Mayer solos are on the middle pick-up, so if you're drawn to that sound, a PRS with a single-coil middle p/u might be a good bet. Mayer played a custom 594 for most of their 2019 tour. It had a middle p/u and of course his Super Eagle PRS had a middle p/u.

First of all, your screen name is awesome! Most Jerry Garcia & John Mayer solos are on the middle pick-up, so if you're drawn to that sound, a PRS with a single-coil middle p/u might be a good bet. Mayer played a custom 594 for most of their 2019 tour. It had a middle p/u and of course his Super Eagle PRS had a middle p/u.

Yes, it's not obvious, but the SSH doesn't allow you to play just the middle pickup. The middle position of the five way selector is actually both the neck and bridge pickups, but you can of course tap either or both. I really like the middle tapped, but I would LOVE to be able to just play the middle, too.

Yes, it's not obvious, but the SSH doesn't allow you to play just the middle pickup. The middle position of the five way selector is actually both the neck and bridge pickups, but you can of course tap either or both. I really like the middle tapped, but I would LOVE to be able to just play the middle, too.
A couple of SSH owners have modified theirs to allow Middle only!

A couple of SSH owners have modified theirs to allow Middle only!

Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't have any clue how to do it and I don't really trust anyone around my neck of the woods to do that. Wonder if the PTC would do it and how long it might take. Alas, as of tonight, my county is under a shelter-in-place order, so I won't be making mods anytime soon. : (

Welcome @JackStraw and good luck on your tonal journey.

Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't have any clue how to do it and I don't really trust anyone around my neck of the woods to do that. Wonder if the PTC would do it and how long it might take. Alas, as of tonight, my county is under a shelter-in-place order, so I won't be making mods anytime soon. : (

Just rock that beauty and stay safe.

Back