New Member and Question(s)

JackStraw

Hi, all.

I am new to the forum and have some PRS questions.

As a background, I have been playing guitar for 1.5 - 2 years. Started with a Martin D-18 switched to a Martin OM-28 then discovered electric guitars when I bought an American Professional Strat. I also have an American Elite Tele (long story). I've since sold my OM-28 as I never put down my electrics.

From a music perspective, I have always been into the Dead and now (since 2017) have opened up to Dead and Company. I recently saw the Super Eagle II and started searching for something similar. I discovered the PRS Special Semi-Hollow. I am GASing really bad for this and am contemplating selling my Tele and Strat or just my Tele so I have both SH and SB guitars.

With the coronavirus lockdown I am unable to play a Special SH, but could order one from Guitar Center to see if I like it enough to replace my other guitars. My playing level is definitely not up to a guitar of this price, but I am of the mind buy as much as you can afford and inspires you to play everyday.

Questions:
  • Does the $3,850 - $4,450 price tag get me a significantly better guitar than the $1,500 - $1,800 cost of my Fenders? From experience you usually get what you pay for, but this is by far the most expensive guitar I have considered purchasing.
  • I have heard a lot of people say how comfortable/easy to play PRSs are, but I do not know anyone that owns one. What is the general consensus on what is so great about a PRS vs other guitars. I know this is a broad, subjective quesiton.
  • At guitar center there is a $3,850 "PRS Custom Special Semi-Hollow" and a $4,450 "PRS Special Semi-Hollow." There is not a description of detials for the $3,850 model. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these two guitars? They look exactly the same. Maybe one is an earlier model?
  • I am also seeing some labeled Limited Edition, but again I am not seeing a difference. Does anyone know what features are different on the limited models?
  • Lastly, Guitar Center said they cannot discount PRS. Is this the common response from retailers?
I appreciate any responses and insight to PRS.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing over 50 years. I only play PRS when I play electrics. There are several things you can look forward to. The most important is that the intonation is much, much better than anything you will ever touch. The quality of the fit and finish is unbelievable. The colors are incredibly unique, with each one being different from every other. To me, they are guitars to buy and keep. They don’t sound like F or G guitars. They sound like PRS guitars, and that totally floats my boat. Only you can decide if the guitar is worth it to you, based on your financial situation. The model you mentioned is not a beginners guitar. It’s an heirloom quality professional instrument. If you are the kind of person who really appreciates quality, it’ll make you happy if the money makes sense. If I were you, I would go to the PRS website, and get the instrument from one of the authorized dealers, not GC. My younger son used to manage one. The guitars are not usually set up, and when they are it’s not usually done by anyone with much experience. An authorized dealer will make sure the instrument is fine tuned like a Ferrari. Get what makes you happy, and enjoy the experience of a top quality instrument.

Last edited:
1. Absolutely, but this is a personal decision. My personal experience says it's significantly better than anything up to a custom shop Fender, and still better than those.
2. Heh. Read through the forum and you'll see what people think here. I always feel like I'm fighting the instrument when I go back to a Fender, Ibanez or my Agile.
3. They are probably the same model but with different grade tops. Look at the PRS site for info on "10 Top", "Artist Grade" and "Wood Library".
4. Limited, to my knowledge, are probably special orders that the primo dealers were able to customize. But I'm not super knowledgeable there.
5. You can get a discount from reputable dealers, but don't expect a ton. Now, with the economy like it is, who knows . . . .

Hi, all.

As a background, I have been playing guitar for 1.5 - 2 years. Started with a Martin D-18 switched to a Martin OM-28 then discovered electric guitars when I bought an American Professional Strat. I also have an American Elite Tele (long story). I've since sold my OM-28 as I never put down my electrics.

From a music perspective, I have always been into the Dead and now (since 2017) have opened up to Dead and Company. I recently saw the Super Eagle II and started searching for something similar. I discovered the PRS Special Semi-Hollow. I am GASing really bad for this and am contemplating selling my Tele and Strat or just my Tele so I have both SH and SB guitars.

With the coronavirus lockdown I am unable to play a Special SH, but could order one from Guitar Center to see if I like it enough to replace my other guitars. My playing level is definitely not up to a guitar of this price, but I am of the mind buy as much as you can afford and inspires you to play everyday.

Questions:
  • Does the $3,850 - $4,450 price tag get me a significantly better guitar than the $1,500 - $1,800 cost of my Fenders? From experience you usually get what you pay for, but this is by far the most expensive guitar I have considered purchasing.
  • I have heard a lot of people say how comfortable/easy to play PRSs are, but I do not know anyone that owns one. What is the general consensus on what is so great about a PRS vs other guitars. I know this is a broad, subjective quesiton.
  • At guitar center there is a $3,850 "PRS Custom Special Semi-Hollow" and a $4,450 "PRS Special Semi-Hollow." There is not a description of detials for the $3,850 model. Does anyone know if there is a difference in these two guitars? They look exactly the same. Maybe one is an earlier model?
  • I am also seeing some labeled Limited Edition, but again I am not seeing a difference. Does anyone know what features are different on the limited models?
  • Lastly, Guitar Center said they cannot discount PRS. Is this the common response from retailers?

Hey there, welcome to the Forum! The Special Semi Hollow is a fantastic model. I was a Limited Edition model introduced at PRS Experience in 2018. It was limited in the order window, not the quantity. So, if there were 8,931 ordered in that limited order window (June-August, IIRC), that's how many were made. I'll add my 2 cents to your questios.

1) Yes, it does. Irrespective of price, PRS simply makes fantastic guitars, across the entire cost spectrum. The price can be a shocker, and people knock them for it, but it's in range with other manufacturers and their "Custom Shop" models. Fit, finish, quality workmanship. Pick a car brand. Honda's are great, but their Acura badge is upscale.
2) This is subjective, but soooo many people say it. They do "play themselves". Ok, not literally, but they just FEEL right. Like it was made for you. Paul is always improving on the formula, and you can tell by the product they put out.
3) So the official name is Custom 22 Special Semi-Hollow Limited. Retailers list them many different ways, and some butcher the description. The difference in the price you have listed above are likely this: The $3,850 one is a Core (normal) version, and the $4,450 one is what is called Wood Library, or it has a 10 Top. A 10 Top is a higher graded wood (top) than a regular Core. It doesn't mean the wood is any better, just that is has more figure to it. $600 would be the normal up-charge for a 10 Top. Not going to sound any better, just looks nicer. If it were a Wood Library, then that means a dealer went to the PRS factory, and hand picked the woods from the PRS Wood Library. Dealers do this in runs of no less than 10. It allows them to "design" the guitar the way they want. Meaning they can select finishes, accessories, etc that would not be on a regular production guitar.
4) See my first paragraph before I started answering your questions.
5) Maybe that's GC's policy, but it is not the norm. PRS has something called MAP....Minimum Advertised Price. This is the lowest price that a dealer can list a NEW PRS for. If it's used, it's whatever they want. Anyway, MAP, or higher, is what the dealer has to put on the tag in the store, or the add on-line. They can sell it for whatever they want. As an example, I recently ordered a PRS from a dealer. He told me what I had to put down on it to get it ordered, and then said, "I can get it to you for $X,XXX out the door." It was a couple hundred off of MAP, and I didn't ask for it. That's happened to me at another dealer, as well. GC may not be alone in their no discount policy. I think some of the other "Big Box" retailers are the same way. I would encourage you to check out the Dealer section of this forum. There are several independent shops that post here, a lot. They are FANTASTIC to deal with.

Here's a link to the Authorized Dealers section of the forum:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/forums/authorized-prs-dealers.64/

They aren't allowed to post prices here (and we're not supposed to discuss prices here either), but they can post links to specific guitars which will get you the price.

And finally, with regards to the Cu22 SSH Ltd, here are mine. The first one is a Core (regular production) guitar. I traded it in on the second one, which is a Wood Library version.

FfKIe9f.jpg

snfFJ75.jpg

The full name of the SSH is Custom 22 Special Semihollow Limited
It is a great guitar and one I am really happy to own.
PRS guitars are a sickness once you get one it is almost impossible not to get more.
Once I got my first PRS it did not take long for all the other brands to disappear from my collection.
Yes PRS Core line guitars ( New ) are expensive but to me they are worth the extra $$$ , Bargains can be had on the used market
Be sure to check out other dealers and don't be afraid to haggle on price :)
Happy Hunting !!!!

Iqemej by

In my opinion, that's the best first post, ever. Bravo - and welcome to the club!

I've been playing for like 25 years and have owned a ton of guitars in that time. I thought I liked Les Pauls and then got a Strat, but then I discovered teles, and then I discovered custom shop Les Pauls and SGs and my perspective changed, and then I discovered custom Fender style guitars by Danocaster and fell back in love with them, and then I discovered jazz masters, and then found an amazing semi-holowbody and played jazz, and then I started playing in a group and realized... and so on and so on. It's a journey. Everything matters and everything is important when it comes to deciding what is right for you.

You can play anything on any guitar, but some guitars lend themselves more to certain styles or comort levels. There are so many intangibles it's ridiculous. and preferences change over time. When I was younger, weight was less important. At one point I had very specific opinions about fret size and neck size and even scale, you name it.

Over time I've learned that I love guitars, period. I have great Fender-style guitars, Gibsons, and other makers. I've been in love with PRS Guitars and sold them for others. Most PRS guys are hardcore guitarists that love guitars and are willing to spend a little extra for something a bit nicer, better made, more unique, etc. I'll say this, I would buy a PRS sight unseen, because the quality is so consistent. It might be easier with a Fender compared to a Gibson, but there are plenty of dogs out there, too. PRS just has excellent QC on even the most basic guitar, whether SE or Core.

The model you are thinking about is a whole other level in terms of weight, design, options, details, etc. The SSH caught my eye, too, and brought me back to PRS after a several year absence. It is a fantastic guitar, truly. I love it. If I had to pick just one, it would be the SSH due to the versatility. That said, I will never sell my SG and I still play my Fender-style guitars often.

My band plays a number of Dead covers, as well as classic rock, alternative, outlaw country, blues, etc. I was hoping to find a do-it-all guitar with a trem and hum bucker and single coils that could handle all of that. Knowing John Mayer was using the Super Eagle didn't hurt, either. I can tell you this -- my bandmates think it looks amazing and that it sounds amazing -- so clear and so much more hi-fi and clear than my others. Is that good? Depends on your mood or style. It might bring out the mistakes more, but if you're game, it's a guitar you could love forever and never get tired of looking at.

My only other comment on PRS versus others, is that PRS sit a particularly way when sitting. It sits a little further back than say a Fender guitar, but it's not a big deal to me. Standing, I find them to be some of the most comfortable guitars. Also, the slightly shorter scale and setup make playing them effortless and more comfortable (my hands can hurt after long stretches on some of my others). The sound options are really great, and I just love everything about it, including the light weight.

Anyway, hope that helps. And here's a shot of mine, while we're at it... (I spoke to lots of small shops who were willing to deal and ultimately bought mine on Reverb and saved a lot. If you're willing to buy one of these in the current economic environment, I bet you could find a great deal). Good luck!

CObH6aZ.jpg

First, welcome to the forum! One of the best you will find.

Question 1- Value is determined by each person. There are many who would say no to this question. They have a Strat, it serves their purpose. I am taking it that it doesn't serve yours because you're still looking. When I was last at the Gibson site in Memphis (I am told it closed, perhaps tied to this response), I played an L5 that had a $28,000 price tag on it. I suppose it is worth that to someone or they wouldn't have made the guitar. I could see the bells and whistles, but it didn't play better than the $7000 version to me. All that said, a PRS guitar oozes quality and craftsmanship. I felt it the first time I played one. Before long, it was pretty much all I played. For me, it's been worth it many times!

Something to think on - The connection between guitar and player is hard to describe. It will be very worth your while to do all you can to actually play the different models. My perfect guitar might not float your boat at all. If that's impossible, make sure there is a return policy where you can ship the guitar back if it doesn't suit you and order something else.

Question 2 - Yes, a broad and subjective question that every PRS owner will answer yes. The quality of construction breeds an eminently playable guitar.

Question 3 - No huge issue with GC but I have not had the best luck there. You might also check Sweetwater if you're looking for big box stores, or find one of the many great independent dealers that are wonderful to work with and will help you get what you need. See also Q5. On the guitars you mention, my guess is that one is a 10-Top, and one isn't. The difference is in the figuring of the wood.

Note for you: There is a dealer's forum section here. It's a good place to look for dealer ideas.

Question 4 - Limited Editions have something in them that is only available on a certain number of guitars, or ones ordered in a limited time frame. For instance, I have a McCarty SC594 Soapbar Limited. There are lots of them out there, but all were ordered during a specific period when PRS allowed a custom P90 to be speced in this model. In other words, it isn't a standard model, it's a variation on one.

Question 5 - I have run into this also. It is a policy, but many of the independent dealers will work with you. You have to look around.

Again, welcome to the world of PRS. I sincerely hope you find a guitar that inspires you.

Rick

Wow. Thank you all for your thoughtful and quick responses... and beautiful pictures! This seems like a great community.

And thanks for throwing more fuel on the GAS! :)

I just need to decide if I want to go with a Gold Top or Autumn Sky. If Autumn Sky, I need to decide if the 10 top is worth the additional $600.

I will follow-up and let you all know what I did and show pics!

Thanks again for all the responses!

You're quite welcome. This place is THE PLACE for throwing more fuel on the GAS fire.

Keep in mind that the tops are hard to photograph and can look different in person than in photos or particular lighting. Some of us ask for non-doctored regular photos on phones or shots outside in the daylight. To further complicate things, all 10-tops and Wood Library tops are not created equal. I made myself crazy with all of that before I bought mine, so just find one that speaks to you. FWIW, I have owned a meh 10-tops, a beautiful gold top, even nitro, but the price tags didn't always correlate. My most recent just blew me away as far as color, grain, etc. I came close to buying a much more expensive wood library artist and glad I didn't, but you really can't go wrong.

Enjoy the hunt!

Hi, all.

Questions:

Don’t know anything about that model. I’ve heard folks say they were told GC doesn’t discount PRS but GC gave me $500 off my Custom 22 in November. All I did was say to my sales guy hey what’s the best price you can do.

Sweetwater gave me $200 off my Silver Sky too.

The SSH is an amazing instrument. I've long considered it the Baby Super Eagle, and I'll put it up against many, many guitars in hitting Dead tones. I have found this model to be far, FAR ahead of every other electric I've met in terms of quality, feel, tone, and good looks (all subjective but sue me).

I'll never sell mine. This is my lifetime electric, and it's the one I've been waiting for since I started playing. I only got to touch one (briefly) before mine was done being built, so it was really sight unseen. It took a moment to get used to the middle pickup as the setup can feel "crowded," but it didn't last.

Really, truly this is the best electric instrument I've ever played. And as a fellow Deadhead, this is the thing for me.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Any PRS is a great instrument, but they make different types. I would NOT try to talk you out of the SSH, but you might want to also try the Silver Sky. Or not, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you like it as much or more you'd save yourself a boatload of money. I've been a strat guy (and a Deadhead) for over 40 years now. A couple of years ago I tried a 594 and it was an amazing instrument, but it was part of what helped me ultimately realize I'm just first, last, and always a strat guy. And now my only electric is a Silver Sky (I have a Robert Cray strat as a backup, but it lives in the closet for emergency use only). If you really like the combination of pickups on the SSH and/or if you just gotta have one of those beautiful PRS tops and finishes, go for it - I'm sure you'll love it. But if you really love the feel and sound of a strat, but just aren't entirely happy with the quality of the American Professional, give the Silver Sky a try. It's waaaaay less expensive and it's every bit the guitar as any other PRS, just not near as fancy looking. But it's the best strat I've ever heard - the bridge pickup will more or less make you forget about your tele, and the rest is just purely awesome strat done about as well as it can be.

If you have your heart set on the SSH, go for it - I'm sure you'll love it. But you don't HAVE to spend that much to take a significant step up unless you just gotta have one of those amazing PRS tops and finishes. Which I can't argue with even a little bit. But as a guitar, man, I've never been happier than I am with the Silver Sky.

-Ray

One cannot make a reasonable answer to this question without knowing what you're doing with your guitars now, and what your goals are as a musician.

Frankly, unless money's no object, there is no way I would recommend a novice guitar player drop more than a few hundred on a guitar. No. Way. The important things that beginning guitar players need are: tuning stability and good intonation (both from the instrument and from your fretting hand), good action ("string height"), and solid ("non-flaky") electronics.

If you want to make a guitar sound good, then take a thousand dollars worth of lessons and spend a few thousand hours practicing and playing with others. If a player doesn't sound good (and I don't necessarily mean you) on a decent Squier through a Bad Monkey into a Crate, he's not going to sound good through a PRS into a Klon into a Fuchs. Get what I'm saying?

Reactions: jxe
Any PRS is a great instrument, but they make different types. I would NOT try to talk you out of the SSH, but you might want to also try the Silver Sky. Or not, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you like it as much or more you'd save yourself a boatload of money. I've been a strat guy (and a Deadhead) for over 40 years now. A couple of years ago I tried a 594 and it was an amazing instrument, but it was part of what helped me ultimately realize I'm just first, last, and always a strat guy. And now my only electric is a Silver Sky (I have a Robert Cray strat as a backup, but it lives in the closet for emergency use only). If you really like the combination of pickups on the SSH and/or if you just gotta have one of those beautiful PRS tops and finishes, go for it - I'm sure you'll love it. But if you really love the feel and sound of a strat, but just aren't entirely happy with the quality of the American Professional, give the Silver Sky a try. It's waaaaay less expensive and it's every bit the guitar as any other PRS, just not near as fancy looking. But it's the best strat I've ever heard - the bridge pickup will more or less make you forget about your tele, and the rest is just purely awesome strat done about as well as it can be.

If you have your heart set on the SSH, go for it - I'm sure you'll love it. But you don't HAVE to spend that much to take a significant step up unless you just gotta have one of those amazing PRS tops and finishes. Which I can't argue with even a little bit. But as a guitar, man, I've never been happier than I am with the Silver Sky.

-Ray

I may actually keep my strat so I have a solid body guitar as well. I really like my strat and tele, but the pickups and semi-hollow aspects of the Special are very intriguing. Not to mention they are stunning to look at as well.

I appreciate your perspective though. A Silver Sky has crossed my mind in the past, but as soon as I saw that SSH I forgot about everything else.

One cannot make a reasonable answer to this question without knowing what you're doing with your guitars now, and what your goals are as a musician.

Frankly, unless money's no object, there is no way I would recommend a novice guitar player drop more than a few hundred on a guitar. No. Way. The important things that beginning guitar players need are: tuning stability and good intonation (both from the instrument and from your fretting hand), good action ("string height"), and solid ("non-flaky") electronics.

If you want to make a guitar sound good, then take a thousand dollars worth of lessons and spend a few thousand hours practicing and playing with others. If a player doesn't sound good (and I don't necessarily mean you) on a decent Squier through a Bad Monkey into a Crate, he's not going to sound good through a PRS into a Klon into a Fuchs. Get what I'm saying?

I get where you are coming from, but do not completely agree. As I mentioned in my original post "I am of the mind that you should buy as much as you can afford and inspires you to play everyday." When I go through a slump where I don't want to practice, it definitely helps to put a beautiful instrument in my hands. This is all based on what you can afford of course.

I agree lessons and especially playing with and in front of others is very important. You really cant explain the difference of perfecting something at home and playing it as good in front of a crowd of people.

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from, but do not completely agree. As I mentioned in my original post "I am of the mind that you should buy as much as you can afford and that inspires you to play everyday." When I go through a slump where I don't want to practice, it definitely helps to put a beautiful instrument in my hands. This is all based on what you can afford of course. I agree lessons and especially playing with and in front of others is very important. You really cant explain the difference of perfecting something at home and playing it as good in front of a crowd of people.

A few things come to mind:
1) I'm not the boss of you. If you've got the money and the desire to buy something, buy anything you want (guitars, cars, watches, comic books, guns, cigars and a humidor, artwork, a band saw, shoes and belts, boats, motorcycles, cameras, etc...) to buy.

2) As someone in the local music community who is frequently asked, "I want to play guitar, what guitar should I get?" (once already this week), I basically gave you my standard answer. The important things that beginning guitar players need are: tuning stability and good intonation (both from the instrument and from your fretting hand), good action ("string height"), and solid ("non-flaky") electronics. Take it or leave it.

3) I'm in a completely different place regarding, "I am of the mind that you should buy as much as you can afford and that inspires you to play everyday." I'm of a mind that a person should get a solid piece of gear, determine their level of commitment, their willingness to become proficient and what they want to become as a musician, and then start looking for the tool that will help them achieve that goal. That journey starts with lowest possible overhead, not the highest.

4) I'm coming from a completely different place, regarding: "When I go through a slump where I don't want to practice, it definitely helps to put a beautiful instrument in my hands." One's practice routine should not be contingent upon inspiration, thus the word "routine." @ss in chair. Hands on guitar. Every. Day.

That said, let me repeat: I'm not the boss of you. If you've got the money and the desire to buy something, buy anything you want (guitars, cars, watches, comic books, guns, cigars and a humidor, artwork, a band saw, shoes and belts, boats, motorcycles, cameras, etc...) to buy. It's all just meaningless stuff, right?

Back