S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow vs Singlecut Solidbody

Not usually. S2 SC's are pretty much on spec from the factory...plekking the guitar would be gilding the lily, so to speak, and unnecessary.

Only thing you might need, if the guitar is being purchased used, is to perform a string change, intonation and set-up...the PRS website support page can show you how...and will save you about $80 in the process if perhaps you own the correct tools to do the job...

What helped me was adjusting the neck truss rod, the intonation, and pickup height. All part of the process you can do yourself with a machinist's rule, a wide flat head screwdriver, a precision small flat head screwdriver, and a precision Phillip's head screwdriver.

If necessary here are some YT videos of John Ingraham's PRS videos...which explains a good portion of how to do the DIY intonation and set-up.

Thanks for the info. I will watch the videos this evening. I'll be purchasing the guitar from Sweetwater and I was going to pay to have them do a setup unless I find a person locally.

Thanks for the info. I will watch the videos this evening. I'll be purchasing the guitar from Sweetwater and I was going to pay to have them do a setup unless I find a person locally.

IIRC, Sweetwater does a thorough inspection and set-up prior to shipping...all you need do is ask your sales rep and they'll do this no charge...

This should be done especially if you're planning on heavier or lighter string gauge...the intonation will be off somewhat, so just ask Sweetwater, and I think they offer this service prior to shipping...

IIRC, Sweetwater does a thorough inspection and set-up prior to shipping...all you need do is ask your sales rep and they'll do this no charge...

This should be done especially if you're planning on heavier or lighter string gauge...the intonation will be off somewhat, so just ask Sweetwater, and I think they offer this service prior to shipping...
Thanks again I appreciate all the feedback. I talked to my Sweetwater rep and he sent me pics of an demo/open box S2 Singlecut in Whale Blue. I got a great deal with the new PRS Signature Strings and a setup. So I purchased the demo/open box. The pics looked fine. I'm pretty excited to get it in my hands.

That's awesome krb813, congrats! I almost bought that same guitar, but got another like it. It is an excellent guitar and I think you will love it.

Thanks to this thread, I ended up buying a new red s2 Singlecut. It arrives tomorrow.
idHQ7X5.jpg

I usually don't purchase demo models of anything. However, my Sweetwater Rep made me a stellar offer. I didn't see anything to bothersome in the pics he sent. I'm told it will arrive on Friday. This will go along with a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 I have. It was really hard to not try something different and get the Semi-Hollow. But, thanks to all the advice I feel I made the right choice going with the Solidbody.

I'm very thankful to everyone on this forum. I have been lurking here for years and all the info I have learned has been immense. This is such a great forum.

Don't own the solid but I have the semi no real feedback issues but I love the feel of air blasting out the f hole when you crank up the amp.

I've personally owned both, one some years ago, a S2 SC Semi-Hollow in Antique White, and more recently a S2 SC Standard Solid Body.

While the weight relief is more noticeable with the Semi-Hollow, the tone is as well. The semi is voiced more for jazz, blues, or fusion, not so much for rock, hard rock, funk or country.

That being said, you can coax tones from the semi that will provide a close approximation of what you're looking for, but not THE tones.

For a more versatile guitar, consider the solid body S2 SC Standard Satin (price difference is notable). With the solid body, you can elicit a wider range of music genres (rock, blues, jazz, fusion, funk, and country) than you could with the semi-hollow.

The reason my semi was sold within 9 months of ownership was because I felt constrained by the guitar's lack of versatility, when what was needed was a lightweight solid body S2 SC. You can usually find decent solid body S2 SC's weighing under 7 lbs. 6 oz. often on Reverb, if owning a lighter-weight guitar is a concern for you.
The Semi-Hollow wasn't voiced well for funk and Country? I would think it would fit that genre better than the solid S2. I'm looking for that specific sound and trying to order a guitar now.

The Semi-Hollow wasn't voiced well for funk and Country? I would think it would fit that genre better than the solid S2. I'm looking for that specific sound and trying to order a guitar now.

Because the semi is voiced for slightly lower mids, with a slightly 'rolled off upper mid range', is designed more for jazz or blues, rather than spanky, chimey funk or country, which might work better with a Tele or Strat (read: single coil guitar). The semi has less notable upper midrange (which is by contrast a benchmark of many funk or country songs played with Teles or Strats)

(Mebbe it's just my ears. I've felt the S2 SC was more versatile than the S2 SC Semi, because I've owned and heard both myself)

Your amp power tubes would also be a factor (e.g. EL84s or 6V6s vs something else) would be better suited for funk or country because of their brighter, chimier tones...

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Because the semi is voiced for slightly lower mids, with a slightly 'rolled off upper mid range', is designed more for jazz or blues, rather than spanky, chimey funk or country, which might work better with a Tele or Strat (read: single coil guitar). The semi has less notable upper midrange (which is by contrast a benchmark of many funk or country songs played with Teles or Strats)

(Mebbe it's just my ears. I've felt the S2 SC was more versatile than the S2 SC Semi, because I've owned and heard both myself)

Your amp power tubes would also be a factor (e.g. EL84s or 6V6s vs something else) would be better suited for funk or country because of their brighter, chimier tones...

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks a lot and PRS has a lot of options that make it difficult to decide if you are working with the right brand guitar. Mind you, I love these guitars but I have played had an American Stratocaster back in 2003 and liked that guitar and I have been looking for a vintage noiseless, pickup sound but want a guitar that can play, say, Lenny Kravitz type music but also be able to hit 16th note strumming funk strumming and sound - Listen to Ernie Isley, who Hendrix lived with for a minute, and he's a monster with his strat. I was wondering if Paul's SE guitar was worth looking at but everyone seems to be pointing to the S2, SC? Thanks, all, I love having groups like this to discuss important, to me, questions.

Back