S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow vs Singlecut Solidbody

krb813

Hello, I want to purchase one of these guitars. I will have to it online since there are none near me. Would any of you kind folk give me some opinions on differences sound wise between the two.

Thanks.

I've personally owned both, one some years ago, a S2 SC Semi-Hollow in Antique White, and more recently a S2 SC Standard Solid Body.

While the weight relief is more noticeable with the Semi-Hollow, the tone is as well. The semi is voiced more for jazz, blues, or fusion, not so much for rock, hard rock, funk or country.

That being said, you can coax tones from the semi that will provide a close approximation of what you're looking for, but not THE tones.

For a more versatile guitar, consider the solid body S2 SC Standard Satin (price difference is notable). With the solid body, you can elicit a wider range of music genres (rock, blues, jazz, fusion, funk, and country) than you could with the semi-hollow.

The reason my semi was sold within 9 months of ownership was because I felt constrained by the guitar's lack of versatility, when what was needed was a lightweight solid body S2 SC. You can usually find decent solid body S2 SC's weighing under 7 lbs. 6 oz. often on Reverb, if owning a lighter-weight guitar is a concern for you.

Thanks for the feedback CandidPicker. I like hard rock, progressive such as Alter Bridge, Rush, Dream Theater, etc. I do have a seriously bad back and most of my playing is sitting down. So weight is a little important. However, I would hate to give up tone/sound. I do have a Epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks.

I own both. I find the semi more open sounding. But that's what you'd expect imho. In a live setting CandidPicker is right but if you play at home at moderate volumes I don't think the difference is that big a deal. The right pedal will get you in hardrock territory with the semi. So if weight is a big issue I'd go Semi. Happy hunting:cool:

How's the feedback from the Semi-Hollow? The room I play in, is a small space.

Hello Callan. Thanks for responding. I do not get to play very loud these days since we have an infant at home. What's your opinion on the Solidbody vs the Semi-Hollow based on the fact I play hard, progressive rock?

I played my S2 semi hollow at high volumes and never had an issue, I have the S2 Satin also and agree that it is more versatile.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will order the Semi-Hollow in the Faded Blue Smokeburst.

Hello Callan. Thanks for responding. I do not get to play very loud these days since we have an infant at home. What's your opinion on the Solidbody vs the Semi-Hollow based on the fact I play hard, progressive rock?
I haven’t played a semi, it’s a gap in my prs family I’ll have to do something about...

I will say though, if you have back problems, the lighter guitar may get played more and thus, make you happier with your purchase.

Semi might be better unplugging too, if that’s a thing in your home (I have an almost 3 year old and often play my HB away from where my amps are)

Thanks for the feedback CandidPicker. I like hard rock, progressive such as Alter Bridge, Rush, Dream Theater, etc. I do have a seriously bad back and most of my playing is sitting down. So weight is a little important. However, I would hate to give up tone/sound. I do have a Epiphone Les Paul.

Thanks.

If weight is an issue, if it were me, I'd just visit Reverb.com and type in S2 Singlecut Standard Satin and view how much each of your research hits weighs and add that to your watch list, if the seller lists the weight. Usually sellers with a bricks/mortar presence elsewhere will do this, whereas your average joe may not have an accurate scale to do so.

As was said, some Satin Standards tip the scales not much more than 7 lbs 3 oz. up to 7 lbs. 12 oz. My McC Tobacco Burst is very much lightweight, only 7 lbs. 3 oz. about what an alder Strat might weigh. There are heavier weight ones, but the lighter weight is less likely towards causing back fatigue.

The semi-hollows will also help with your weight relief, and often tip the scales just over 5 lbs, due to the semi-hollow interior and thin carved top. While you may find that you might not be able to do AlterBridge as effectively with the semi-hollow, prog rock is more attainable as is jazz and blues (read: a "woodier" organic response than straight ahead rock).

And to help you with any back issues, try this exercise I found on YT some years ago when I was suffering a back back somewhat like yours...it helps relieve lower back pain caused by strain or carrying too much weight...

Last edited:
Anyone find the PRS semi hollows are muddy with a decent amount of gain? Talking more rock gain than metal gain.... I don’t own one but I’m curious.

Anyone find the PRS semi hollows are muddy with a decent amount of gain? Talking more rock gain than metal gain.... I don’t own one but I’m curious.

IMHO, semi-hollows have a better described "jazz" tone than you might use for classic or smooth jazz than you might compared to genres that employ moderate to high gain. I wouldn't say muddier, just less bright or crisp, with more noticeable "muted" treble response...

Verge of breakup? Yup, best used this way. Anything with lots of crunch or high gain the tone is much different than a solid body S2 SC, the reason my S2 SC semi-hollow stayed with me for only 9 months...

That being said, I think I know what my ears tell me, and what I particularly like re: guitars. The only hollowbody guitars I've ever enjoyed were 3 PRS Archtops, 2 of which were PS.

The difference between S2 semi-hollow and high-end PRS was palpable.

Last edited:
Thanks CandidPicker for all the info and video. Due to the major surgeries I've had I'm unable to get down on the floor. I really like playing hard rock .borderline metal. I think despite the weight I may switch to the Solidbody. Especially since I'm sitting most of the time when I play.

As previously stated, there is weight variance in the guitars. Make sure you know the weight before you buy.

Thanks CandidPicker for all the info and video. Due to the major surgeries I've had I'm unable to get down on the floor. I really like playing hard rock .borderline metal. I think despite the weight I may switch to the Solidbody. Especially since I'm sitting most of the time when I play.

You're entirely welcome! Sorry to hear of your surgeries, hope somehow you find pain relief without too much medication...

The S2 SC Satins will provide the best weight relief for solid body SC's. The gloss poly finish adds more weight. The semi's will reduce the weight, but you likely won't be happy with the tone for hard rock. The nitro Satin finish is the way to go, and the neck profile will feel good in your hands. Sitting will be easier on your back, and the solid body will provide the tones you seek for your price range.

On another topic kind of related to this pending purchase. Is it worth it to get the guitar plek'd?

On another topic kind of related to this pending purchase. Is it worth it to get the guitar plek'd?

Not usually. S2 SC's are pretty much on spec from the factory...plekking the guitar would be gilding the lily, so to speak, and unnecessary.

Only thing you might need, if the guitar is being purchased used, is to perform a string change, intonation and set-up...the PRS website support page can show you how...and will save you about $80 in the process if perhaps you own the correct tools to do the job...

What helped me was adjusting the neck truss rod, the intonation, and pickup height. All part of the process you can do yourself with a machinist's rule, a wide flat head screwdriver, a precision small flat head screwdriver, and a precision Phillip's head screwdriver.

If necessary here are some YT videos of John Ingraham's PRS videos...which explains a good portion of how to do the DIY intonation and set-up.

Last edited:
Back