S2 Mira

daacrusher2001

Hi guys...new to the forum. I did some searching around and just wondering if someone in the know can tell me about the S2 mira - here's where I am...:

I played one yesterday and another today - both through a Fender PRRI - and I have to say I was very impressed with the playability and sound, and it's very light which is good for me right now.

I had a 2008 (I think) Mira, in Korina, but traded it for something, which I've since traded, and then sold...so...I'm in a cash position and thinking another Mira might work for me.

The S2 pickups sounded way better than the Korina Mira I had previouslly (USA Made). Are they different pickups than what PRS used to use?

I still find the coil split sort of buzzy and anemic. But I need HB's due to noisey rehearsal space and the local jam can pick up a bit of noise. HB's work better for me.

I thought it had good low-end thump, and was very articulate. The volume controls worked really well as I was able to crank the PRRI, turn down for chords and still get clarity, and crank it for leads.

Am I missing something? They seem like really nice guitars for the money...thoughts?

The S2 Mira pickups are manufactured in Korea (to PRS' spec/design).

The Core Miras used to have what PRS called 'Mira' pickups but they were understood to simply be PRS' '245' pickups but without the covers.

That's the only question I can answer accurately for you, but I'm sure others will chime in. :)

I just bought one. Actually two... sent one back due to a few minor finishing flaws. I probably would have kept the first one if the guys at Wildwood didn't insist on exchanging it or refunding full/partial.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?9660-NGD-2-S2-Mira-2-From-Wildwood-Bonus-Material-Inside!

It's probably one of the best guitars I've ever owned... and I've owned a metric ****-tonne. The pups are Korean spec versions of the 245 pups from what I've heard. Regardless, I'm very happy with them... no desire to swap them whatsoever.

3b5c8771-bd33-422c-a9d8-a62942f85e35_zps8eb4565d.jpg

They are great guitars. Sound and feel is very nice.

Welcome, and let us know what you end up doing.

I've had mine since December of '13 and it has proven to be my go-to guitar for playability and tone. I really cannot say enough good things about these Mira's, and I feel this is one of those instances where the sum is much greater than the parts if that makes sense. It easily betters guitars that I have that cost 3 times as much.

I personally changed out the pickups on mine but not because of an failing with the stock ones - I was just looking for something different out of the guitar and It has also ended up being as good as a mod platform as it was stock.

I still find the coil split sort of buzzy and anemic.

I find the splits to be more usable (much less anemic) than the Core Mira MT I used to have. I have made no secret of my affection for my S2 Mira...I find it an exceptional guitar, and it's price point makes is an exceptional value as well.

I find the splits to be more usable (much less anemic) than the Core Mira MT I used to have. I have made no secret of my affection for my S2 Mira...I find it an exceptional guitar, and it's price point makes is an exceptional value as well.
This is because of the resistors in the split circuit on the S2 and lack thereof on the older core Mira. They make a really big difference. It's a huge upgrade for what's nothing more than a few cents worth of parts.

So, did you get one yet? I just got mine back from a complete setup. The tech/luthier, who is very highly regarded, was extremely impressed. The look on his face when I told him what I paid for it was priceless. He thought it cost much more. He looked me right in the eyes, and said "you will not find a nicer guitar for that price, period." He is a fan of the SE line, and in fact said that is what he recommends to everyone looking for a budget guitar. But, he recognized how well made these S2's are.

So, did you get one yet? I just got mine back from a complete setup. The tech/luthier, who is very highly regarded, was extremely impressed. The look on his face when I told him what I paid for it was priceless. He thought it cost much more. He looked me right in the eyes, and said "you will not find a nicer guitar for that price, period." He is a fan of the SE line, and in fact said that is what he recommends to everyone looking for a budget guitar. But, he recognized how well made these S2's are.

Not yet...today or tomorrow most likely, not that I need another guitar, but wth...

I find that I mostly use the coil split when recording but when playing with others I just stick with the humbuckers as the bridge has enough chime and meat without going single the exception being when playing Jazz I use the neck in single coil mode.

The S2 Mira has become my all time favorite guitar.

Last edited:
Just jumping on the S2 Mira bandwagon. Received mine this past Saturday. Before I got it, I was 100% certain that I would want to upgrade the pickups, but now I'm not so sure I need to. (But if anyone has any pickup upgrade comments/suggestions, please feel free to chime in). I did however upgrade to the pearl pickguard which is a vast improvement, especially with the sea foam green.

I bought the Mira to use as my backup guitar, but wound up using it instead of my main guitar at last night's gig. I'm somewhat amazed at how good a guitar this is, regardless of the price. The very reasonable price is just an added bonus.

Also, kudos to JStarr for his sweet tricked out Mira. Nice job!

I was 100% certain that I would want to upgrade the pickups, but now I'm not so sure I need to.

I know there have been some successful surgeries posted here, but I think these things sound fantastic, and respond very well to volume rollback and picking dynamics.

The neck pickup is probably one of my favorite sounds of all-time, has a very single-coily vibe in humbucker mode.

I think these things sound fantastic, and respond very well to volume rollback and picking dynamics.

The neck pickup is probably one of my favorite sounds of all-time, has a very single-coily vibe in humbucker mode.

So far, I would have to agree. And yes, the split coil sounds do sound pretty darn good all things considered.

Still, I do get the occasional itch to solder something. We'll see...

I'm giving mine at least a year before any elective surgery. Damn thing keeps surprising me each time it's plugged into a different amp, pedal or even amp sim.

Awww, nuts ... whilst I always tend to prefer translucent finishes I've been really digging the Vintage White Mira's for a while and that really ain't helping!! Does it have that cool yellowed/aged timbre to it "in person"?

Also, having covers on the pickups improves the look of that "all in one" guard hugely ... my Les Paul's days may be numbered ...

Yes indeed... It has that same hue in person. I've never been a fan of white guitars, but the finish on thy Mira is the best of the current color options IMHO. Of course the hybrid hardware really sets it off :)

Bye bye LesPaul. Hello Mira!

Back