S2 line vs... how about "2S" instead?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
The S2 guitars are very nice, yes. But we also know how excellent and well-built the import guitars are becoming these days. So consider this--instead of an American-made line of guitars with import electronics & hardware, how about a line of import guitars with American electronics & hardware? How excellent could that be?

And if you don't like or want to customize the electronics or hardware, you'd be able to do so with standard/SAE-sized pots & switches, instead of the crappy wide-tolerance metric components and their weird knob & bushing sizes, etc. I'd probably spring for something like this even faster than for an S2-type instrument.

The S2 guitars are very nice, yes. But we also know how excellent and well-built the import guitars are becoming these days. So consider this--instead of an American-made line of guitars with import electronics & hardware, how about a line of import guitars with American electronics & hardware? How excellent could that be?

And if you don't like or want to customize the electronics or hardware, you'd be able to do so with standard/SAE-sized pots & switches, instead of the crappy wide-tolerance metric components and their weird knob & bushing sizes, etc. I'd probably spring for something like this even faster than for an S2-type instrument.
I've thought about that. It almost seems like the pickups in SE's are designed to sound good but to fall short of the professional tone of the JM Silver Sky pickups, 57/08's or Dragon 1's or whatever our own favorite PRS USA pickups might happen to be.

There's no reason I can see why Indonesian people or Korean people or any people couldn't wind and assemble pickups of the same quality as PRS pickups made in the USA if they were given the training and the right parts.

But I would be concerned that sales of PRS USA guitars would suffer if SE's had CORE quality pickups and parts because I know from experience that doing bridge and tuners upgrades and putting 57/08's into SE Bernie Marsdens turns them into a guitar that I prefer to my Core guitars.

Last edited:
I know from experience that doing bridge and tuners upgrades and putting 57/08's into SE Bernie Marsdens turns them into a guitar that I prefer to my Core guitars.
Yeah, that's kind of what I mean... They come out amazingly good for their cost that way, don't they? And yes, I would be afraid that the Core line might take a hit--but as a manufacturer/company, I'd like to think their net overall sales would go through the roof.

Back