Right or Left hand technique....

Victor Vector

Born to Rip
....which is more important?

After nearly a half of century of playing my answer is the right hand. It is your motor, your left hand is the steering wheel. You can turn the wheel as much as you want but you aint going nowhere without that motor.

You need both. It is good if you can bring them up equally but most people typically get faster with one than the other. This will help shape a person's playing style. You will learn to work around your weaknesses and use your strengths. My left hand is a little faster than my right hand and I am perfectly fine with that because I don't do an sort of speed picking with my playing style.

My right hand technique has always been better. My left hand has always lagged behind, thus my style developing the way it did. Fast note flurries are always done via legato with me. Lots of hammer ons/pull offs as well. I can't coordinate fretboard tapping with more than a couple notes.

In all, though, I am pleased with my playing and current technique. I know my limits physically and work within them to continue to progress my technique. I don't sweat what my hands don't wanna do anymore!

Both are needed about the same. I think most feel the left comes first. I think rhythm players get better with the right first because that is where the emphasis lies.

The motor/steering wheel thing is definitely true, but it does take both in working in conjunction with each other to be as complete a player as you can be. Some guitarists will be more adept at one or another (I definitely don't mean me) and it shows in their style and results.
I juss do da bess I are...:D

My left hand is much better at guitar than my right. Lots of hammer ons and pull offs when playing faster. I can finger pick well enough and I've avoided using picks as much as possible, so my pick use is very very weak.

It completely depends on your playing style, IMO. I brilliant finger style player like Doyle Dykes is much more driven by an incredible right hand. Yngwie is more driven by his left (like I mentioned in the picking speed comment a couple days ago, he’s “pick one note and play three” style). If you’re playing a “pick every note” style then your “speed limit” is usually your right hand. If you throw in sweeps, hammer on/pulloffs, legato etc. then your speed limit is usually your left hand.

Those are “general” comments that don’t apply to every player, but sort of form my opinion that your style determines which hand is more important.

Back