Returning to my (original McCarty) roots

Shreve

Katzenjammer Kid
I’ve owned 3 McCartys in the way distant past, and they were always my favorite in the old PRS lineup. Only sold to fund 2 custom builds that actually ended up being quite similar. Double cutaway, wide fat neck shapes, rosewood necks, etc. But when I saw this puppy on the whacky Gear Page I couldn’t help myself. From the original 1994 run model introduction. Looks like Ralph Perucci was the original owner from the bill of sale. I think he goes way back with Paul, and was a bandmate at one point. Maybe someone can clarify. Anyway, no fancy tops or inlays (NOT that there’s anything wrong with that!!!) just a cool, now sorta old guitar. It’s in excellent shape. Coming in from Canada to me in Maryland near the factory, so it’s coming back to its birthplace in a way. Someone’s gotta spur on this lousy economy. Just tryin’ to do my part. :rolleyes:

Serial # side note. I bought an EJ Virginia Strat two years ago, and guess what my new lucky number is? See McCarty signed back plate and Strat neck plate

rdlPcJ0.jpg

PobJfbH.jpg

cjsFaCz.jpg

nBEWG1h.jpg

Damn! That’s quite the score. Congrats!
I believe the original McCarty‘s didn’t have the coil splitting push-pull pot. Just straight up 3-way switching. Is this one set up like this?

Good catch! Coil split wires are there, but never hooked up at the factory. Pull pot never used, 100% original factory wiring with unbroken solder joints! Straight switching.

Oooo an early one too. Very nice! I’d love to get my hands on a nice McCarty one day.
I'd take an early one too. There are times I consider putting McCarty pickups back in mine.

I've had the dual push pulls for some time now and I'm convinced it messes with the pickups tone a bit. I have to wonder if that's why 408 and cu24-08 have mini toggles??

I don't care for the stock McCarty switching so I've considered putting rotary switch in it for a while.

I think the mini switch coil taps works differently from the push/pulls. I believe the push pulls truly split, and the mini switch system leaves some of the disconnected coil in, to prevent volume drop and provide a slightly “better” single sound. I have a set of pickups I got from Indonesia I’m going to put in something. I’m currently looking for a roasted maple SE 24, but it has to be blue. If you spot one in the US, let me know.

I think the mini switch coil taps works differently from the push/pulls. I believe the push pulls truly split, and the mini switch system leaves some of the disconnected coil in, to prevent volume drop and provide a slightly “better” single sound. I have a set of pickups I got from Indonesia I’m going to put in something. I’m currently looking for a roasted maple SE 24, but it has to be blue. If you spot one in the US, let me know.
Switch type doesn't matter. It's all about how the pickups are wired and where they are tapped to split.

Last edited:
Back in the mid-late 90's my local Indi music store got me a ticket to NAMM when it was in Anaheim - I was in Santa Monica on a project at the same time anyway so I caught the shuttle bus in SM to the NAMM show. I was able to meet Ted McCarty at the PRS booth when I was there - it was the highlight of my young year. Mr McCarty was very kind and engaged, I spoke with him for about 20 min., we talked about the Gibson Factory tour in 1976 I had done when they were still in Kalamazoo. He told me about all the artists who made the trip to the Kalamazoo factory to pickup guitars.

Back