Resurrected Gold Top Tremonti

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
It's fitting that today should be the day I resurrected my Gold Top Tremonti, a sensational guitar that's been case-riding as of late owing to pickups that are too hot for the bands I'm playing in right now. Folky, classic and eclectic American rock doesn't exactly shred, at least coming out of my hands, and I needed a lower output set of humbuckers. So I was binge-searching Reverb one evening for all kinds of sultry gear when I found a lone Bareknuckle Mule neck pickup. She was uncovered, wasn't charging much at all and I thought, "I'm feeling sinful tonight..." So I paid her now. I unwrapped her when she arrived and placed her next to a Bareknuckle Riff Raff bridge pickup that's been single since I put two Mules in a 594 a few months ago. They immediately looked perfect together. So I took the pair, made amends for their inactivity and soldered them into the Tremonti with a whole new Emerson/Mojotone harness with tone pot coil-splits and partial-split resistors for the tap position. The result: my Tremonti GT--RESURRECTED. And she sounds AWESOME....AND CLEAN!!!

Truth be told, it was never really dead. The Tremonti recipe is solid as a rock. A true crowd pleaser.

IMG-2438.JPG

IMG-2440.JPG

I used CTS pots for the last install and liked them, but decided on Emerson 500K to avoid modding the pot-shaft holes in the body. Emerson's are much easier to solder in the cavity, also, especially when wiring splits and resistor taps. I put treble bleed caps on the volume pots also, using a higher value than usual (because I didn't have anything else) and it sounds great. Because PRS knobs never seem to want to fit onto new pot shafts, I cut a small band of heat shrink tubing and shrunk it over the shafts. The knobs pushed on perfectly, best when the tubing is still a bit warm.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
I love Goldtops as well.

Really can't go wrong with a PRS Goldtop.

So cool that your guitar is back in business.

I soldered partial tap resistors to the up lug to make the splits louder, but I forgot that the 594 has its tap resistors soldered to the middle lug. That would make it work in either position. I might have to change that! I love the 594 tone pot character on the 594. So many options.

Back