Restoring an '87 CU24 - suggestions? (UK/EU)

guitargeek62

So I've managed to snag myself a rather nice looking Cu24 recently that's been subject to a fair bit of use over the years. Although it needs a bit of work, I've managed to get it for a killer price so I'm really looking forward to getting it usable again - it's also a "birth-year" guitar for me so all the more reason to hang on to this one and look after it. :)

Things to note:
  • Bridge pickup has been replaced - neck is the original Standard B
  • Tuners have been swapped for Grovers - I've got a set of era-correct Phase 1s to fit
  • Electronics have been ripped out - luckily I already have a 5-way rotary from '93 to install
  • Tone pot was installed, I'm assuming it would have shipped with a sweet switch though
  • No backplates - have they changed at all since '87, or would new parts be a straight swap?
  • Nut and frets are heavily worn and in need of replacement
  • Original knobs and switch-tip are long gone
  • Trem arm is missing - I assume these haven't changed?
  • No case or case candy

Now, sweet switches are either as rare as rocking horse sh*t, or are prohibitively expensive. I'm happy to install a tone pot instead if needs be unless someone can point me in the right direction - I've managed to find the correct part for the sweet switches toggle, but not the right chip to make my own yet.

What's the consensus on the 1985 reissue pickups that came out a while back? They're available at good prices via PRS' EU store. I'm also toying with dropping a set of Dragon 1s into it as I've always been a fan of them, especially with the 5-way rotary switch.

I'll also probably order a bridge upgrade kit via Mann-Made as this one's seen a lot of use. It might even need a complete replacement but I'm waiting for it to arrive before I can assess the knife-edge properly and go from there.

If I was in the US I'd probably be sending this into the PTC, but as I'm not I'll do most of the work myself, and outsource the re-fret.

s-l1600.jpg

Cheers! I thought I had an old set lying around but I mist have lost them along the way somewhere, might take you up on that offer then :)

I’m currently toying with installing a set of 85/15 squabbins and ignoring the restoration angle - just go for an update vibe instead perhaps!!! This will all be easier once I’ve got the damn guitar in hand next week!

Cheers! I thought I had an old set lying around but I mist have lost them along the way somewhere, might take you up on that offer then :)

I’m currently toying with installing a set of 85/15 squabbins and ignoring the restoration angle - just go for an update vibe instead perhaps!!! This will all be easier once I’ve got the damn guitar in hand next week!

In that case go with the DI and lampshades!

Hell yeah! That’s Bangin’!

I admire you for trying to get it back in shape, it sounds like you’ve got a good handle on things, but if you need knobs I might have a couple of black ones for you.

If you would prefer amber speed knobs, I have a set in my parts drawer. Hit me up if you'd like 'em.

Are you sure it's gonna need a refret? I can't see all the frets in the photo, but what I do see says fret dress is all that is needed.

Not 100% sure yet - fret dress might do it but there’s some hefty wear around the middle. If I’m having any fretwork done then I’m tempted to spend the extra and have all of it done in one go!

If you would prefer amber speed knobs, I have a set in my parts drawer. Hit me up if you'd like 'em.
Much appreciated but I’ll be going with black or clear knobs though, same for the rest of the plastics too - I’m not a fan of the cream on there!

Not 100% sure yet - fret dress might do it but there’s some hefty wear around the middle. If I’m having any fretwork done then I’m tempted to spend the extra and have all of it done in one go!
I understand the desire to get it all done at once, but I sent one to the PTC that I was pretty sure would need a refret. They said just a dressing and after they did the fret dress the guitar looked and played great. I'd suggest getting someone with a lot of experience to evaluate it.

True! I won’t know for sure until I’ve got it in my hands for a bit and had a chance to check it out properly and ascertain how bad the wear actually is. Even then I’ll see what the experts suggest anyway!

Also, I’ve just stumbled onto a potential source for the elusive sweet switch components, so I’ll be ordering a batch in and seeing if I can get them working! Would there be much interest in offering them as complete units if so do you think?

Wow, that's a hella killer find. Good on ya for brining her back to shape!

My '91 has the HFS/VB and I prefer the newer pickups in my other guitars. My choice would be the 57/08, but you can't go wrong with the 85/15 squabblins for a modern take on that vibe.

I played a HFS/VB for the first time in a looooooong while just this past weekend fitted into an ‘03 Cu24, I was surprised how much I liked it!

I was able to compare most of the current PRS range to one another, with my favourites of the lot being the 85/15s generally - I quite liked the 85/15LTs in an SC594 they had too, so essentially I walked away none-the-wiser about what pickups I’ll be putting into this one :rolleyes:

How about some T and B reissues?

How about some T and B reissues?

Aye, I'm eyeing those up too - they've got some for a fair price on the EU PRS store atm, £96/ea. As long as the original B pickup is in good working order then it makes sense to try it with a full set sooner or later!

@Alnus Rubra - thanks! I was expecting to get sniped to be honest, my max bid wasn't a great deal more than the final value! :eek:

Aye, I'm eyeing those up too - they've got some for a fair price on the EU PRS store atm, £96/ea. As long as the original B pickup is in good working order then it makes sense to try it with a full set sooner or later!

@Alnus Rubra - thanks! I was expecting to get sniped to be honest, my max bid wasn't a great deal more than the final value! :eek:

I bought a set off of Ebay a couple years ago.

They show up once in a while.

So what’s your verdict on them? I’ve not been able to find much online
Well............they look good next to all the 5310s I have in my parts drawer!!!

I love the stickered T and B pickups in my 89. I've got a solo recorded using that guitar in the 2 or 4 position. Cant remember which but it sounds really good.

I don't have that song saved as a file otherwise I'd send it to you so you could hear it.

I'm a little bummed about the song. I had it mixed a lot differently on my machine than what got put out. The track they chose to bring to the front was not spot on which taught me a valuable lesson.

The solos parts sound good though.

Back