Restoring an '87 CU24 - suggestions? (UK/EU)

Bit of an update!

Hardware/Setup
I had the Cu24 refretted with Jescar EVOs in November, the guy did a good job of levelling and polishing them, but seems to have cut them a little strangely as some are slightly too narrow for the fingerboard; not the end of the world, but something I'd like to remedy one day. He's also undercut the fret tangs to reduce sprout, but not made any attempt to fill the slots at all leaving the fingerboard edges feeling a little strange. I'll fix this up with some rosewood dust & superglue at some point!

Electronics
I ended up grabbing a set of 85/15 squabbins, and a set of Dragon 1 pickups to try out in the Cu24. I have to say I'm still a fan of the Dragon 1s after all these years, but the 85/15s seem to be more suited to my tastes these days so they'll be staying in the guitar.

I've also given up on the sweet switch - it's novel, and looks great, but I don't hear much difference with it and would rather have a tone pot there instead. I'm still in two minds about the 5-way rotary. I prefer the split coil tones from them, but like the convenience of a normal 3-way toggle. Currently the guitar has McCarty switching with the D1s, but I'm going to flip those back over to the 85/15s this weekend and try them with the McC switching. If that doesn't work, I'll revert back to the rotary with the 85/15s again!

It's been fun trying out different configurations on this one, and it's a joy to play already :)

Pics to follow!

Back