Replacement tuners for SE Paul’s Guitar?

I might also suggest the Gotoh 510 series. I have them on an Epi LP, and they're pretty cool. They have a high tuning ratio (either 18:1 or 22:1) and just look unique (really modern looking). A little more pricey than the SG381's, but the high gear ratio is worth it.

BTW, I had a question....does anybody know exactly what the stock tuners are or who makes em? I cant find any info beyond them being "PRS designed". Some reviews I've read say they hate em but I think they're fine, they hold tune decently well, just wish I knew what they were. Might use em for another build.

Phase III core tuners are made by Gotoh, I believe.

SE tuners, I haven’t a scooby. But they work just fine.

Yeah, the SE ones are nowhere near as bad as people make em out to be. I'm willing to give PRS the benefit of the doubt and figure they wouldnt put some cheapo kluson clones on what is basically the SE flagship guitar. I've got another SE with actual deluxe klusons, and they feel about the same in weight and construction. I still wish I'd have kept the old SE tuners it came with from '06.

I had fully intended on changing the tuners on my SE Pauls, but the Hipshots I bought didn't fit and I've been too lazy to buy an alternative. Meanwhile, the stock tuners for me have been very stable and consistent, and I live in South Fl.

U4cxBTW
I put the Mann tuners on my SE Paul's, and they are great. Good people to trade with too!

Last edited:
Yeah, the SE ones are nowhere near as bad as people make em out to be. I'm willing to give PRS the benefit of the doubt and figure they wouldnt put some cheapo kluson clones on what is basically the SE flagship guitar. I've got another SE with actual deluxe klusons, and they feel about the same in weight and construction. I still wish I'd have kept the old SE tuners it came with from '06.
Was the Hipshot shaft too short? They do make different shaft lengths. I’ve used the UMP plates on all my SE’s , and they work just fine. I do check the tightness of the tuner nuts about 2 weeks after I installed them.

Was the Hipshot shaft too short? They do make different shaft lengths. I’ve used the UMP plates on all my SE’s , and they work just fine. I do check the tightness of the tuner nuts about 2 weeks after I installed them.

Never used Hipshot tuners yet. I tend to go back to Gotoh for my tuner needs. I did run into a snag with the new Gotoh SG381's I got. I knew that the holes on the headstock were too narrow and will need to be reamed, but I was not counting on the screw holes on the current tuner mounting plates being...well, kinda f'ed up. To put it simply, somebody got a bit happy at the factory and when they drilled the holes for the mounting screws and it caused the finish to chip at the hole. Problem is the SG381 tuners wont cover those holes, so they'll just be there saying "hello" all the time. So, I will find something else....can always use the SG381's on something else. I could always use that set of deluxe Klusons I have I suppose. I might just try a set of Hipshots with the UMP plates. That looks pretty clever.

Never used Hipshot tuners yet. I tend to go back to Gotoh for my tuner needs. I did run into a snag with the new Gotoh SG381's I got. I knew that the holes on the headstock were too narrow and will need to be reamed, but I was not counting on the screw holes on the current tuner mounting plates being...well, kinda f'ed up. To put it simply, somebody got a bit happy at the factory and when they drilled the holes for the mounting screws and it caused the finish to chip at the hole. Problem is the SG381 tuners wont cover those holes, so they'll just be there saying "hello" all the time. So, I will find something else....can always use the SG381's on something else. I could always use that set of deluxe Klusons I have I suppose. I might just try a set of Hipshots with the UMP plates. That looks pretty clever.

I like Gotoh’s too. I’m guessing so do PRS as the Phase III tuners are made by them. They make nice kit.

The holes on the SE Paul's were too narrow for the Hipshots that I bought and I didn't want to widen them. I ended up using them on the SE Chris Robertson, and they fit perfect and look great.

Gotoh SD90 MG-T works perfectly as a drop-in replacement. I believe they come in black, chrome and gold, but I went for cosmo black (as the image).
They work really well and I think they look way better than the original. I was going to post pics of my own guitar with the gotohs installed. Isn't it possible to upload images? Only link to images?

I am so jealous! Apparently these are now nowhere to be found! I sent an email to gmf and they said that they are no longer available for order :(
That color combination with the red PRS and the metal buttons looks amazing!

Any recommendations for an alternative black/cosmo black locking keys for Paul's SE?

You will never regret with hipshot tuners. They have many different styles to choose from. You just need to contact them with what guitar you have, and they will set you straight. I would have purchase one for my Zach Myers se, but the previous owner changed out the tuners.
cN8rwzw.jpg

AZNNArm.jpg

zMu1K3B.jpg

My hipshot tuners
mbLngBs.jpg

Gz355w1.jpg

zOJThqk.jpg

Magnus, I have a PRS SE Paul's guitar and want to replace the original tuners. I have a few questions.
1. Can you confirm that the Gotoh SD90-SLB-MGT black tuners are a direct drop in replacement for PRS SE Paul's guitar and no other parts/modifications are needed ?
2. Did you have any problems removing the original tuners ?
3. In your first picture the string post looks to be chrome color instead of black, is that just the lighting ?
4. Did you reuse any of the original parts like the screws ?
Sorry for all the questions. I have never replaced tuners before and want to make sure I can do it myself and have the rights parts.
I finally found out how to post your own pictures on this forum. :)
This is my guitar with the Gotoh tuners mentioned above.
by6uSLZb_o.jpg
qubuwaad_o.jpg

tuners with the Gotoh SD90 SLB MGT black. Just want to confirm that these are direct drop in replacements with no other parts needed. How long did it take you to replace the tuners ? From your front view of your guitar it looks like the post is chrome instead of black. Is that just because of the lighting ?

I finally found out how to post your own pictures on this forum. :)
This is my guitar with the Gotoh tuners mentioned above.
by6uSLZb_o.jpg
qubuwaad_o.jpg

Magnus, I have a PRS SE Paul's guitar and want to replace the original tuners. I have a few questions.
1. Can you confirm that the Gotoh SD90-SLB-MGT black tuners are a direct drop in replacement for PRS SE Paul's guitar and no other parts/modifications are needed ?
2. Did you have any problems removing the original tuners ?
3. In your first picture the string post looks to be chrome color instead of black, is that just the lighting ?
4. Did you reuse any of the original parts like the screws ?
Sorry for all the questions. I have never replaced tuners before and want to make sure I can do it myself and have the rights parts.

tuners with the Gotoh SD90 SLB MGT black. Just want to confirm that these are direct drop in replacements with no other parts needed. How long did it take you to replace the tuners ? From your front view of your guitar it looks like the post is chrome instead of black. Is that just because of the lighting ?

1. Yes, they are a drop-in replacement. No other parts and/or modifications are needed.
2. Not really. Just unscrew the screws on the tuners on the back of the headstock, pop out the old tuners. There is a bushing on the front side that has to be knocked out from the back. I think the tuners came with a tool for that purpose, but it would work with something like a flat screwdriver. It was not difficult.
3. Just the lighting.
4. I did not reuse any old parts. You could reuse the screws and the bushing, but I replaced all of it, so that all colours match.

It did not take me long to replace the tuners. Maybe15 minutes, not counting removing and installing strings.

Sorry for the long wait for the reply.

Last edited:
1. Yes, they are a drop-in replacement. No other parts and/or modifications are needed.
2. Not really. Just unscrew the screws on the tuners on the back of the headstock, pop out the old tuners. There is a bushing on the front side that has to be knocked out from the back. I think the tuners came with a tool for that purpose, but it would work with something like a flat screwdriver. It was not difficult.
3. Just the lighting.
4. I did not reuse any old parts. You could reuse the screws and the bushing, but I replaced all of it, so that all colours match.

It did not take me long to replace the tuners. Maybe15 minutes, not counting removing and installing strings.

Sorry for the long wait for the reply.

Thank you Magnus for answering all my questions.

Back