Replacement tuners for SE Paul’s Guitar?

So,

got some Gotoh SD90 -SLB-MG-T-B from Philadelphia Luthier supplies. These are black locking tuners and after a nervous start I managed to get the old ferrule part out and the new one in after scraping away the hard glue on the inside. I've just fitted the low E but so far so good.

I'll change the other tuners once the current (new) strings need replacing. They look better (all black) plus they lock AND they more solid with tuning. The tuners buttons are still plastic but the other benefits have made it worth it.

Thanks for everyones help.

Here's a link for others and will send a pic once they are all done

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...m-lock-traditional-3-x-3-guitar-tuners-black/

Last edited:
I just put Grover mini lockers on my CU22 SE. They are different to use, I'm sure I'll get used to it, but tuning stability is spot on now and they were a drop in replacement. Plus, the buttons allow room for fingers that are man-sized which the OE tuners did not.

FYI this thread was intended for replacement tuners for the SE Pauls guitar as it has Kluson style tuners NOT the more standard type which are easier to replace (more options etc). Thanks for sharing, but just for others who want to replace the Kluson style tuners, I don't that the Grover mini lockers will work on the SE Pauls guitar without drilling new holes and filling existing holes. Hope that clarifies things for others. :)

So,

got some Gotoh SD90 -SLB-MG-T-B from Philadelphia Luthier supplies. These are black locking tuners and after a nervous start I managed to get the old ferrule part out and the new one in after scraping away the hard glue on the inside. I've just fitted the low E but so far so good.

I'll change the other tuners once the current (new) strings need replacing. They look better (all black) plus they lock AND they more solid with tuning. The tuners buttons are still plastic but the other benefits have made it worth it.

Thanks for everyones help.

Here's a link for others and will send a pic once they are all done

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...m-lock-traditional-3-x-3-guitar-tuners-black/

Good to see you found a replacement. Let us know how you got on.

I do have one question, do you think it important that the ferrules are glued in? They seem to wedge is fairly nicely without it

I do have one question, do you think it important that the ferrules are glued in? They seem to wedge is fairly nicely without it

Do NOT glue them in. Otherwise if you ever decide to remove them, you could potentially cause damage to your guitar. Even without glue, they should sit quite snug and not be that easily removable.

Bit too late now but would be interested to know if the phase 3 tuners fitted directly into the Klusion holes without any rework. I think the Gotoh locking should be better than the original PRS ones on the SE Pauls so all good.

Bit too late now but would be interested to know if the phase 3 tuners fitted directly into the Klusion holes without any rework. I think the Gotoh locking should be better than the original PRS ones on the SE Pauls so all good.

You would need to ream the holes for the ferrules to 10mm which is pretty easy to do. The holes for the two small screws may line up - on my Bernie they lined up well enough that I could just screw them in. That being said, when I finally get around to it the Gotohs are going back into the Bernie. Already ordered 10mm ferrules that will work with the Gotohs.

The Gotohs just seemed to work better in that guitar - I recall Shawn mentioning that Phase III would not work in certain guitars, i.e. older Singlecuts as the headstock is not thick enough. Not sure if that is the case with the Bernie, but they just seemed to work better on that guitar for me. No issue with them on any of my other PRSi which had Phase IIIs stock.

FYI this thread was intended for replacement tuners for the SE Pauls guitar as it has Kluson style tuners NOT the more standard type which are easier to replace (more options etc). Thanks for sharing, but just for others who want to replace the Kluson style tuners, I don't that the Grover mini lockers will work on the SE Pauls guitar without drilling new holes and filling existing holes. Hope that clarifies things for others. :)
I did not realize there was such a big difference. I've deleted my post to avoid confusion for others.

Surely PRS makes a tuner upgrade for the Pauls? I love my Pauls, but WTH are these plastic tuners. Ridiculous.

I dropped my phase III tuners right in to my zach myers SE with no issue. Didn’t have to ream or relocate screws at all. Plays like a dream and looks amazing. Pretty sure this is the same case with any SE that has the vintage style tuners. I think if you keep the same ferrule it’s much easier and if you tried to change them then you might need to do some very minor reaming.

Surely PRS makes a tuner upgrade for the Pauls? I love my Pauls, but WTH are these plastic tuners. Ridiculous.

Buy a used core PRS Starla X like I just did...gotoh tuners stock, the parts used can't be questioned since it was a core model back in 09.

Back