Replacement tuners for SE Paul’s Guitar?

Can’t go wrong with hipshot with the ump plate. Inexpensive, great products, great customer service, and made in USA. Listen to these guys.

Gotoh SD90 MG-T works perfectly as a drop-in replacement. I believe they come in black, chrome and gold, but I went for cosmo black (as the image).
They work really well and I think they look way better than the original. I was going to post pics of my own guitar with the gotohs installed. Isn't it possible to upload images? Only link to images?
SD90-MGT-CK-06M-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
1Ub4VUU
ZAv0Rpl
1Ub4VUU
For what it's worth, If you want replacement locking tuners that keep the look of the originals,the
Gotoh SD90-SLB MG LOCKING Tuners Set L3+R3 w/ Black Buttons 3x3 - NICKEL
are direct replacement locking tuners with no need to make any adjustments to the hole size. They have the advantage of not suffering the increased weight and slightl unbalance of rear locking tuners. They are very easy to fit, much nicer buttons and with centre post locking. The hole size on the SE Pauls Guitar is 8.8mm. If I can work out how to, I'll post pics of the tuners installed.

Last edited:
Just to confirm the Gotoh SD90 set is direct replacement. You can choose whether you want locking mechanism, as well as buttons options. They’re 1/3 cheaper price than PRS Phase 3 tuners which are also direct replacements too.

I recommend the Gotoh because the price is more reasonable and they’re very good quality. It’s good to say that Gotoh manufactures Phase 3 tuners for PRS.

QuEQbSP.jpg

Those look really nice. Did they fit without modifications?
Yes, they are a direct replacement, so no modifications were needed. I don't like the look of plastic tuning keys so I am very happy with my choice.

Last edited:
Gotoh SD90 MG-T works perfectly as a drop-in replacement. I believe they come in black, chrome and gold, but I went for cosmo black (as the image).
They work really well and I think they look way better than the original. I was going to post pics of my own guitar with the gotohs installed. Isn't it possible to upload images? Only link to images?
SD90-MGT-CK-06M-1024x1024.jpg

Yes Magnusi, I couldn't agree more, the Gotoh SD90 MG-T set looks great. I was prompted to change my tuners by the cheap feeling buttons on the original set. I went for the Gotoh SD90-SLB MGs for several reasons
1. I like the piston locking system, though it's not as good as the excellent Grover system.
2. The buttons, while retaining the look of the originals have a much nicer feel and action.
3. One of the delights of this guitar is its lightness and these add no extra weight.
4. Direct fit with no carpentry involved.
5. The SLB MGs are considerably cheaper than the MG-Ts; this is particularly relevant with the outrageous prices we pay here in UK.
I posted to let people know there are a couple of easy options and to my mind, both sets look great.

MagnusL, where did you buy these? I can't seem to find any place that sells the black ones.

I first found them on Gotohs own site, but I think they only sell to retailers. I also had trouble finding them for sale anywhere so I contacted a local retailer in sweden who sell Gotoh products, and asked if they could get that specific model for me and they did. This is the site: https://www.gmf.se/en, but I don't think they have added this model to their stock.

I believe that contacting a local dealer that sell Gotoh products and ask them would be the easiest way for you to buy a set.

Last edited:
I'll be installing a set of Gotoh sg381-P2s on mine. I may have to rout the holes a bit larger though. Gotoh tuners have never done me wrong yet, solid hardware and a nice price.

Back