Remember Before

This was kinda originated as a thread about what’s happened to music gear stuff and how communication about it changed since the internet became a thing...not really as a general nostalgia thread.

But...

In 1965 I went with my dad and brother to buy his new guitar, a ‘65 Gibson SG Special that I still have.

$250, including the Gibson case.

It’s relic’d the real-deal way, by being old, used, modded, and probably a little bit abused for 54 years. This pic was taken a couple of years ago.

jrZzCbF.jpg

When I see modern fake relics with no real history...:rolleyes:

Yeah my true relic is 30 years younger than yours, but all the battle scars are real.

Maybe they should be known as “real-ics”!

This was kinda originated as a thread about what’s happened to music gear stuff and how communication about it changed since the internet became a thing...not really as a general nostalgia thread.

But...

In 1965 I went with my dad and brother to buy his new guitar, a ‘65 Gibson SG Special that I still have.

It’s relic’d the real-deal way, by being old, used, modded, and probably a little bit abused for 54 years. This pic was taken a couple of years ago.

jrZzCbF.jpg

That may be the coolest guitar you have my friend!

That pretty much sums up how I relic'd myselfo_O....However...I prefer the "Road Worn" moniker when referring to myself. I think it has a more authentic ring to it.;)

But...

jrZzCbF.jpg

I'm not a big Gibson fan, but I like that a lot!

That may be the coolest guitar you have my friend!

Nope. It’s not even close to being my coolest guitar, unless the imagery of being old and banged-up is more important than actually sounding great.

All of my current PRSes strike me as better-sounding and more interesting to play.

This is why the SG lived in my kids’ rooms while they were growing up. Of course, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers.

Nope. It’s not even close to being my coolest guitar, unless the imagery of being old and banged-up is more important than actually sounding great.

All of my current PRSes strike me as better-sounding and more interesting to play.

This is why the SG lived in my kids’ rooms while they were growing up. Of course, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers.

Strictly from a sentimental stand point...of course. ;)

Strictly from a sentimental stand point...of course. ;)

Thing is, the guitar has some history, but basically it’s just an old guitar. If it ever has any value it’ll be because it’s the guitar my famous artist brother and not-quite-famous-yet son learned to play on. I also learned to play on it, but that’s only going to negatively affect its value. ;)

Thing is, the guitar has some history, but basically it’s just an old guitar. If it ever has any value it’ll be because it’s the guitar my famous artist brother and not-quite-famous-yet son learned to play on. I also learned to play on it, but that’s only going to negatively affect its value. ;)

I like the fact that its old and that every mark has been because of the natural wear and tear that a guitar gets over time and most marks may have a story behind them. Whether its a great story or not is not the point but if you (or any other owner/player) can account for a ding and how it got there, then it tells the story of the guitar and its life - its not lying or pretending to have an history...

I think there is a difference between Value and Worth. Worth is the 'financial' cost that a guitar has should it come to selling for example but Value is how much the guitar means to you - whether that's because it has sentimental value or value to you as a player. If you don't like playing it, haven't bonded with it etc then it has no value to you other than its 'worth'. If you have sentimental attachment, or its your main guitar for example, its value to you exceeds its worth - you will not accept how much its worth because it has much greater value to you. Whether this makes sense to you I don't know but that's how I perceive things. All my guitars have greater value to me than they are worth...

I like the fact that its old and that every mark has been because of the natural wear and tear that a guitar gets over time and most marks may have a story behind them. Whether its a great story or not is not the point but if you (or any other owner/player) can account for a ding and how it got there, then it tells the story of the guitar and its life - its not lying or pretending to have an history...

I think there is a difference between Value and Worth. Worth is the 'financial' cost that a guitar has should it come to selling for example but Value is how much the guitar means to you - whether that's because it has sentimental value or value to you as a player. If you don't like playing it, haven't bonded with it etc then it has no value to you other than its 'worth'. If you have sentimental attachment, or its your main guitar for example, its value to you exceeds its worth - you will not accept how much its worth because it has much greater value to you. Whether this makes sense to you I don't know but that's how I perceive things. All my guitars have greater value to me than they are worth...

It totally makes sense to me.

I can’t account for the specific wear and tear; but in a general sense, I know I had fun with it. The when and how of all that was too long ago to remember. I used it most in the late ‘60s, and early ‘70s. Seems like long ago and far away.

“Well, it was long ago, Les. You’re old and feeble now.”

“Hey, I’m only old and feeble on the outside. On the inside I’m...uh...oh, OK. Old and feeble.” ;)

But...

jrZzCbF.jpg

Looks like the color hasn’t faded and man that case looks brand new on the inside!

I’ve got some work to do to look as good when I’m 54!

Looks like the color hasn’t faded and man that case looks brand new on the inside!

I’ve got some work to do to look as good when I’m 54!

The case is probably worth way more than the guitar, since the guitar originally had a trem, and in 1971 I had it replaced with the tune-o-matic in a somewhat vain attempt to improve the tone. It did play and stay in tune a lot better, though.

The original stud holes were filled with dowels made of mahogany, and to save money, I decided not to have it refinished, so the dowels look like what they are - two pieces of wood with unfinished and hardly-sanded ends.

The guitar and case once fell onto the street when our band van started to leave a gig. No damage at all, either to guitar or case. Not even a scuff on the case!

Their OEM supplier really built a good case back in the day. In the ‘60s, all guitar cases were extra; the guitars came without a case, and you could get a chipboard case or this deluxe model.

Lots of my friends took their guitars home in the chipboard (that offered zero protection - not even padding), and saved their pennies to buy the good case down the road.

Gig bags hadn’t been invented.

The case is probably worth way more than the guitar, since the guitar originally had a trem, and in 1971 I had it replaced with the tune-o-matic in a somewhat vain attempt to improve the tone. It did play and stay in tune a lot better, though.

The original stud holes were filled with dowels made of mahogany, and to save money, I decided not to have it refinished, so the dowels look like what they are - two pieces of wood with unfinished and hardly-sanded ends.

The guitar and case once fell onto the street when our band van started to leave a gig. No damage at all, either to guitar or case. Not even a scuff on the case!

Their OEM supplier really built a good case back in the day. In the ‘60s, all guitar cases were extra; the guitars came without a case, and you could get a chipboard case or this deluxe model.

Lots of my friends took their guitars home in the chipboard (that offered zero protection - not even padding), and saved their pennies to buy the good case down the road.

Gig bags hadn’t been invented.

And you had to physically mail a letter to Dear Abby and wait months, and pray they chose to publish your complaint of “A guitar that costs this much should come with a hard case!”

And you had to physically mail a letter to Dear Abby and wait months, and pray they chose to publish your complaint of “A guitar that costs this much should come with a hard case!”

True story:

A long time ago one of the guitar magazines published a letter in their maintenance Q&A from a guy who said he’d had sex with his girlfriend and then played guitar right after. He complained that the guitar neck became gooey, and he couldn’t get the goo off, so what should he use to fix it?

I forgot the reply, but it was hilarious.

True story:

A long time ago one of the guitar magazines published a letter in their maintenance Q&A from a guy who said he’d had sex with his girlfriend and then played guitar right after. He complained that the guitar neck became gooey, and he couldn’t get the goo off, so what should he use to fix it?

I'm no expert, but I think his girlfriend might have been named Hand-ie.

True story:

Was he playing in the style of Tommy Emmanuel?!:oops:

Back