Remember Before

I still think it’s one of the coolest things ever. I still remember the feeling when it all gelled the first time I saw it. I’m still in awe. And I quote this movie a ton.

It was a killer movie (you see what I did there).

I don’t think I’ve ever been much of a movie quoter. Of course, there wasn’t much cool dialogue to quote during my formative years before the talkies came out...

I chased plenty of gear in the late 80’s - early 90’s. It just wasn’t based on searching online. It came from reading and seeing things in guitar magazines then searching gear out by driving to music stores to try it out. There was less ocd at least in the fact that I didn’t need to watch 25 videos on the same thing to see if I wanted to go check it out. It was fun and exciting to go to a really cool store. I miss that aspect as there aren’t a ton of cool brick and mortar stores around me without driving a couple hours.

I recently thought about midnight cd release parties that stores used to have for highly anticipated albums coming out. It was fun going to those and standing in line hanging out with people around you and talking about said band. Now we do all that online with a few people we actually know and a bunch of virtual strangers. I buy very few CDs anymore, just a few a year from a few favorite bands. Mostly because I don’t consume music quite the same as when I between 15-20 years old. When I really take the time to sit and dissect albums in physical form, I truly enjoy the time spent. I need to do it more honestly. On the other hand, I like having access to my entire music library on my phone + access to a ton of other stuff I don’t care about. 20 years ago, my truck got broken into and I had a hundred CDs stolen. Some stuff I couldn’t get back. I was crushed.

I think behaviors are similar, just the means to the end is different. There are things I miss about “the good old days” at times. I get more nostalgic as I age.

I used to be a visitor to GC almost every week... I'd bring my PRS in, and test-drive their latest offerings of amps or effects. Seldom bought anything, but the social experience was immensely satisfying. You got to talk gear with other patrons, discuss what interested patrons and what gear they liked. Even pick up some playing tricks and tips. And make a few acquaintances.

It got to be enjoyable and I was almost doing the work of the employees speaking about gear's selling points. GC eventually gave me the boot and suggested to not come back for a while, for reason I was interfering with the sales reps normal customer approach, that and I'd worn my welcome a little thin. The news was devastating. For about a year I didn't visit GC.

Then, perhaps every 4 to 6 months or so, I'd stop in and see what new stock they'd put on their shelves. Perhaps some guitar strings, or some picks. Maybe a guitar strap. Maybe something from their used online stock.

This was all before I'd become acquainted with social media online and guitar forums. Before guitar forums, the only way you could talk gear with folks was to be physically present IRL in bricks and mortar stores, and chatting about what interested people. Nowadays, guitar forums provide a virtual haven for gear heads. Whatever happened to real life? It got taken over by virtual reality and the internet.

I don't discount the fact that the internet has become a place for social experience, but with the advent of social media, it's taken something away from the enjoyment of speaking to people in person. Although I don't know this for a fact, I think the anonymity of the internet has isolated people from one another in the sense that they've lost some of their ability to be kind to one another. How often do we see some person venting or acting out his frustration on someone else in the news media? More often than not. If I didn't know better, I'd say that people have become more aggressive rather than peaceful, through observation of society in the news media.

Perhaps if we were able to return to speaking with people in person rather than through the anonymity of the internet, our social experiences might improve and be healthier ones as well.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve ever been much of a movie quoter. Of course, there wasn’t much cool dialogue to quote during my formative years before the talkies came out...
*sigh*

Mel Brooks has a shocked look on his face somewhere. And Mr. Cleese.

“I love my people...PULL!”

GC eventually gave me the boot and suggested to not come back for a while, for reason I was interfering with the sales reps normal customer approach, that and I'd worn my welcome a little thin. The news was devastating. For about a year I didn't visit GC.
You got banned from GC???? :eek::eek::eek: What the heck were you doing???

Back