Rehashing one of the old Wood Library (and Private Stock), etc top discussions...

This is an example of a WL run. Looks like a PS grade to me.

AhyTcrw.jpg

To be fair, they all start book-matched
In the case of wide curly maple figuring or quilt figuring it would be insane luck for the figuring to remain 'book-matched' below the bridge area where most of the wood is carved. All bets are off at that point.

OP: both of your guitars look like what I'd expect from the middle/higher end of the 10 top quilt top ladder, and bottom end of the Artist grade ladder.

Here's an 'Artist' top that isn't bad at all, but I can't say I prefer it over either of your guitars:

0337345-3_5000x.jpg

This Artist top though...I'd pick w/o any hesitation for a PS build:
0337568-3_5000x.jpg
It'd be hard to resist the blue one, it's spectacular, but if the amber colored one sounded or felt a little nicer, I'd go with that one. The great thing about wooden instruments is that each one has a its own character. They don't sound exactly alike, they don't look exactly the same, and each one has a slightly different feel.

So ideally, picking the right instrument is an intensely personal experience.

I do think sound comes first, but if two of them sound great, picking between them usually results in going home with the prettier one. Though that's a subjective decision as well.

Sometimes I deliberately order a stealthier guitar over a fancy one. I spec'd my PS acoustic to look simple. When playing with some of the great players I hire for projects (whose playing skills far exceed mine), I didn't want to feel self-conscious or get the eye-rolls.

Back