Canadian dealers?

caribbeansun

I did a search to see if this issue had been discussed previously and didn't see anything within the last couple years.

I've been looking on-line at 10-tops, wood library and private stock to see if I could identify a Canadian dealer with decent stock OR at least one that would be doing wood library orders. I have not found any that have remotely close to what I see in the US (yes, the disparity in market size is an obvious challenge but I was still surprised at the seeming void) - basically no wood library, no private stock and I think Cosmo had maybe a single 10-top. I looked at the Guitar Shop in Mississauga but again nothing higher end. Long and McQuade had nothing to speak of. I spoke with a dealer in Alberta but their answers suggested I had a better understanding of how wood library orders work then they did.

So what do my fellow Canadians do? Do you travel south and bring home or have I overlooked a Canadian shop?

Do you have to go through a dealer for private stock or is there some means of purchasing direct (I suspect it has to go through a dealer).

Thank you in advance.

Carl

Thank you, yes, I would agree they seem like one of the most likely shops to handle this kind of order.

I don’t know how the Guitar Shoppe has changed since Brent owned it. They did a ton of high end stuff when he had it.

Reactions: jxe
I spoke to Guitar Shop - they won't be doing any wood library orders, sounds like it's too big of a commitment for them to make an order of that size (no reference made to nobody being able to do them). 10-Tops are 3 year lead time and PS are 2 years. I'm not surprised by these lead times nor do they concern me, it's just what it is. They suggested I try to find something close to what I want, not unreasonable but seemed a bit odd given the purpose of PS is to get exactly what you want instead of settling for someone else's vision. To their credit they responded after hours almost immediately which was impressive.

The post above sounds like there was a change in ownership at TGS away from custom perhaps?

Thank you all for the input and for the suggestion of Lauzon, I had somehow missed them in my earlier searches - some nice inventory there.

Cheers!

I spoke to Guitar Shop - they won't be doing any wood library orders, sounds like it's too big of a commitment for them to make an order of that size (no reference made to nobody being able to do them). 10-Tops are 3 year lead time and PS are 2 years. I'm not surprised by these lead times nor do they concern me, it's just what it is. They suggested I try to find something close to what I want, not unreasonable but seemed a bit odd given the purpose of PS is to get exactly what you want instead of settling for someone else's vision. To their credit they responded after hours almost immediately which was impressive.

The post above sounds like there was a change in ownership at TGS away from custom perhaps?

Thank you all for the input and for the suggestion of Lauzon, I had somehow missed them in my earlier searches - some nice inventory there.

Cheers!
A couple of thoughts:

There have been a lot of PS made, so there is actually a decent chance someone has already done what you’re interested in. I’ve seen a fair number of PS quite similar to some of mine. Of course, if you want something completely your own, just get the process rolling.

With the lead times for custom orders, I’m not surprised some dealers would rather shifting to things with shorter cycle times.

Back