refinishing

carpincowboy

I have a cheapo les paul style guitar which was originally a tabacco burst which wasnt very nice. So i resprayed it white. This was my first attempt at respraying. I was happy with the results but the paint(auto spray paint) has started to crack so i have decided to go royal blue tiger stripe. I have the veneer i have watched every staining refinishing vid on youtube. Just need to get the blue stain and strip the white off the guitar. I am wondering what clear coat to use?.Spray can only. Nitro is expensive. I have refinished a guitar in polyuerathane varnish and that seems ok. The pic shows the look i am after. Your thought would be most grateful bearing in mind i am on a really tight budget. Thank you
prsscrbttrem2.jpg

I'm not sure about the dye question, but I would suggest trying it first on a scrap piece of wood to check for compatibility... can't wait to see how it turns out!

I dont have an answer to your question, but am curious to see how it goes for you. I freind of mine is a wood worker and I asked him about "staining" maple. He says "you dont stain maple, you dye it". ...But i've "seen" the youtube video of a guy staining a prs? Is there a special stain for maple wood?
My freind said he tried to stain maple once, but the stain just would just wipe off, with zero absorbtion. I would like to try and make a front panel for my 2Ch H but would hate to ruin a $100 piece of wood trying to color it LOL.

The stuff i have is actually a dye you mix with methelated spirits. So very quick drying. It works great on maple. I recently dyed a quilted maple veneered headstock on my homemade guitar which turned out quite well. I really dont understand the differences between dye and stain. I still need to get the blue but the company i got the other colours from dont do the quantity i need for this job. They did but now they do it in larger batches.

Back