PRS WL Cu24 Aquableux Purple Burst premature finish fading

I may be an outlier in the PRS world, but I'm not a fan of vibrant colours on my guitars. If PRS made a faded pink Paisley Sky (gold base) with a maple neck, I'd have my debit card out so fast that you wouldn't even see the movement :cool:
You are not alone. I love (the idea of) vibrant colours on PRS guitars, just not on my own: I noticed I loose interest rather quickly with them, but stay smitten with more classic colours. My most beautiful guitar has a McCarty burst (which is classic) and most vibrant colour I have is a dark cherry burst on a 10 top. Striking, but still reserved.

I may be an outlier in the PRS world, but I'm not a fan of vibrant colours on my guitars. If PRS made a faded pink Paisley Sky (gold base) with a maple neck, I'd have my debit card out so fast that you wouldn't even see the movement :cool:
I like faded finishes in some cases too but just not with Aquableux Purple, fades to this weird yellowey/brown with blue and purple. Just doesnt look nice.

My Aquableux purple burst never faded in two years, at all. But I kept it cased when not playing it.

m08KMAf.jpg

I'm gonna need to borrow that for scientific research purposes.
I sold it a couple of months ago because I had a Big Idea to get some additional mics, another matching interface, and more mic preamps to augment my orchestral stuff with live players in Dolby Atmos.

The Special Semi-Hollow was sort of an 'every-so-often' guitar because I'm more of a solid body player. I figured it could go and I could put the dough toward my project.

But, the best-laid plans of mice and men...

I got one of the mics and then a few days later found myself in the hospital.

I haven't completed the recording plan yet, and now I kinda wish I still had the guitar. Story of my life.

:rolleyes:

I still plan to follow through with the recording reasonably soon. It may or may not be Atmos, however.

I sold it a couple of months ago because I had a Big Idea to get some additional mics, another matching interface, and more mic preamps to augment my orchestral stuff with live players in Dolby Atmos.

The Special Semi-Hollow was sort of an 'every-so-often' guitar because I'm more of a solid body player. I figured it could go and I could put the dough toward my project.

But, the best-laid plans of mice and men...

I got one of the mics and then a few days later found myself in the hospital.

I haven't completed the recording plan yet, and now I kinda wish I still had the guitar. Story of my life.

:rolleyes:

I still plan to follow through with the recording reasonably soon. It may or may not be Atmos, however.
This is why I never sell lol

This is why I never sell lol

My Private Stocks will never be on the block, nor will certain amps. I have a monitoring system that was painstakingly set up, and outboard recording gear that's essential (some hard to find), and that stuff is 'hands off'. It's needed to make a living.

Everything else? Totally fair game! Comes and goes as needed for projects.

I try not to have more than 5 electrics at any one time - that's plenty. Often I'll have fewer. I don't want the clutter. Guitar maintenance is a nuisance. ;)

Last edited:
A lot of fade for just a year, even if it was out all the time. It comes with the territory with these color PRS finishes, which keeps me out of that territory. I guess that’s PRS-version “relic” look. I understand a guitar aging over time, but in my opinion those finishes lose their color unacceptably fast. Having to case a guitar to keep it from losing its color in a very short period of normal use is a bit silly.

Just my two cents. I sincerely hope they get you taken care of, and expect they will.

Having to case a guitar to keep it from losing its color in a very short period of normal use is a bit silly.
Casing a guitar isn't silly at all. It's the best way to take care of a guitar, and it's so damn simple to do. The fact that they don't fade is merely a bonus/side effect.

I started keeping mine cased after reading one of Bob Taylor's articles about caring for wooden instruments. Bob says they're pretty, but they're not made to be decor, and to case them to take care of them. He knows his stuff. And he's right.

The case keeps dust and grime (including airborne oils that are in houses from cooking, settle on the guitar, and combine with the dust to create goo) out of the pots and parts.

It buffers the guitar from temperature and humidity changes that occur all day, every day, in every climate, during a 24 hour period. In States like mine, where there are big swings in indoor humidity between seasons (2/3 or more of the year with forced air heating), that's even more important.

Wood is hygroscopic, meaning it both absorbs and releases moisture. When the guitar's environment is dry, the wood releases moisture and shrinks. When it's humid, the wood absorbs moisture and swells. It's the shrinking and swelling of the wood that creates the need for neck adjustments and annual setups, and it also creates the finish crackling one sees on nitro guitars (mine are all nitro). In acoustic instruments, it can also create cracks in the wood itself. I had that happen in the past to an expensive Martin back when I kept it out.

Depending on the floor the room is on, the humidity is higher the closer to the ceiling (basements), or drier (main floor).

I keep a humidipak in each case. It keeps the humidity inside the case at a constant 45-50%, whether it's humid or dry (the pack releases moisture, but also absorbs excess moisture). A case is necessary for them to work at all. No need to run a humidifier in the room in winter, either.

As a result of all this, none of my guitars, including the guitars that have been here for 7-10 years, has needed so much as a tweak on the truss rod, let alone a setup - since I got them! I used to have to have my guitars set up at least yearly when I kept them out. No poky fret ends, either.

Now I pull them out of a case for a session and they are 100% ready to go. Plus they feel great.

Casing a guitar can't hurt it. Hanging it can.

So I think it's foolish to not case them, that is, if you buy them to play instead of to serve as wall decor. Several of mine go for five-figure money. That's a big investment! And my Core models weren't cheap, either.

Symphony players case their instruments, because they represent a big investment. It's simply the best way of doing things. Anything else is a compromise. And it's so EASY to put a guitar in a case!

WTF people? It takes how many seconds to open a case and pull a guitar out, or put it back? Not many!

Yes, when you go somewhere, the cases are heavy. So stick the guitar in a gig bag for the time you'll be away and travel light. Modern gig bags won't solve the humidity problem, but they work well for everything else a case does.

Last edited:
What A Shame On The Fade. Keep Them Cased Up And Protected At All Times. It Is The Safest Thing To Do.

Instead of selling I have my spouse put unused guitars in a storage room the pull them out as a 'gift' when I forget I still have them. Best part is the older I get, the easier I forget and the more gifts I get!
Hahahaha I'll have to remember that little life hack

Casing a guitar isn't silly at all. It's the best way to take care of a guitar, and it's so damn simple to do. The fact that they don't fade is merely a bonus/side effect.

I started keeping mine cased after reading one of Bob Taylor's articles about caring for wooden instruments. Bob says they're pretty, but they're not made to be decor, and to case them to take care of them. He knows his stuff. And he's right.

The case keeps dust and grime (including airborne oils that are in houses from cooking, settle on the guitar, and combine with the dust to create goo) out of the pots and parts.

It buffers the guitar from temperature and humidity changes that occur all day, every day, in every climate, during a 24 hour period. In States like mine, where there are big swings in indoor humidity between seasons (2/3 or more of the year with forced air heating), that's even more important.

Wood is hygroscopic, meaning it both absorbs and releases moisture. When the guitar's environment is dry, the wood releases moisture and shrinks. When it's humid, the wood absorbs moisture and swells. It's the shrinking and swelling of the wood that creates the need for neck adjustments and annual setups, and it also creates the finish crackling one sees on nitro guitars (mine are all nitro). In acoustic instruments, it can also create cracks in the wood itself. I had that happen in the past to an expensive Martin back when I kept it out.

Depending on the floor the room is on, the humidity is higher the closer to the ceiling (basements), or drier (main floor).

I keep a humidipak in each case. It keeps the humidity inside the case at a constant 45-50%, whether it's humid or dry (the pack releases moisture, but also absorbs excess moisture). A case is necessary for them to work at all. No need to run a humidifier in the room in winter, either.

As a result of all this, none of my guitars, including the guitars that have been here for 7-10 years, has needed so much as a tweak on the truss rod, let alone a setup - since I got them! I used to have to have my guitars set up at least yearly when I kept them out. No poky fret ends, either.

Now I pull them out of a case for a session and they are 100% ready to go. Plus they feel great.

So I think it's foolish to not case them, that is, if you buy them to play instead of to serve as wall decor. Several of mine go for five-figure money. That's a big investment! And my Core models weren't cheap, either.

Symphony players case their instruments, because they represent a big investment. It's simply the best way of doing things. Anything else is a compromise. And it's so EASY to put a guitar in a case!

WTF people? It takes how many seconds to open a case and pull a guitar out, or put it back? Not many!

Yes, when you go somewhere, the cases are heavy. So stick the guitar in a gig bag for the time you'll be away and travel light. Modern gig bags won't solve the humidity problem, but they work well for everything else a case does.
I've seen you beat this horse in a bunch of other threads, and I get it, this is kind of the hill you'd die on. But guitars are different for everybody, people have different expectations, purposes and ideas for what a guitar should be. Of course keeping them cased is the best way to keep a guitar, I don't think anybody would argue that. People just like having them out and available for the eyes and the hands. Plain and simple. And most guitars have no problem being utilized in this fashion. 99% percent of the musicians I know keep and least some of their inventory outside the case. Pros included. And if theres some specific finishes that are orders of magnitude more susceptible to fading from using the instrument in the fashion that 99% of musicians do, I think there's an issue.

Says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

You realize I'm trying to be helpful, right?

Keeping your car sheltered in a warm, humidity controlled garage is also the best way to store a car. Most people don't and for the intents and purposes, it would be unreasonable for a finish to fade if parked outside. Then if you have a guy come in and say well you know you should always keep it garaged and under a car cover if you don't want that to happen, it just goes against reason. I've read dozens of posts from you basically saying the same point over and over again without you absorbing anything anyone says. People already understand your points. Not everyone sees the world the same way. I suppose you're trying to be helpful but nobody was really asking for help.

I've read dozens of posts from you basically saying the same point over and over again without you absorbing anything anyone says. People already understand your points. Not everyone sees the world the same way. I suppose you're trying to be helpful but nobody was really asking for help.
It's true that I've put this info out there many times - obviously, too many. If so, apologies for overdoing it!

There's no way I'd know which of my previous posts you've read, any more than you'd know what I've understood about what others have said. Only trying to share what I think is useful info, not here to create conflict.

It's true that I've put this info out there many times - obviously, too many. If so, apologies for overdoing it!

There's no way I'd know which of my previous posts you've read, any more than you'd know what I've understood about what others have said. Only trying to share what I think is useful info, not here to create conflict.
Understood, my apologies as well!

My “silly” point was that a guitar shouldn’t be treated with a finish that will fade to a easily noticeable extent in a year from sitting in room lighting. Requiring it be cased to avoid that kind of fade in that little bit of use is avoiding the real point… that finish is sub-par and doesn’t hold up the way similar color finishes on other guitars do. It’s a well known problem, and one that would keep me from buying one. I’m fine that others do… variety and all that.

I don’t think anyone would argue that casing their guitars is the best insurance against damage. Just like keeping my laptop in its case… but I keep it out where I can use it. Like my guitar, it gets cased for trips outside the music room, but stays out otherwise. Yes, that exposure might get it damaged but it was bought to be used and that’s a reasonable use scenario. On Taylors, I’m well acquainted with Bob’s advice on humidifying guitars, having had several of his fine instruments. But he is primarily discussing acoustics there, and his opinions on that are almost exclusively based in that type of guitar. Solid and semi guitars are much less affected by those conditions.

I own many guitars. Most of them stay out because I like to play them on a whim and found I simply play the one that is out if the others are cased. None of them have fade issues, though I do have to clean them more often. I don’t have them near windows/direct light, but they are in room light. No neck issues, no problems at all. So, yeah, of course we agree a cased guitar is a safe guitar. But for me a uncased guitar is a more often played guitar, so that’s how I use them.

To the OPs point, it really comes down to the finish requiring a different standard of care than nearly all other PRS guitar finishes require in order to show equal wear. That is what I am saying is silly, and ought to be addressed on their end. Just my $.02, my friend. Your mileage will surely vary. :)

Last edited:
Back