PRS WL Cu24 Aquableux Purple Burst premature finish fading

My “silly” point was that a guitar shouldn’t be treated with a finish that will fade to a easily noticeable extent in a year from sitting in room lighting. Requiring it be cased to avoid that kind of fade in that little bit of use is avoiding the real point… that finish is sub-par and doesn’t hold up the way similar color finishes on other guitars do. It’s a well known problem, and one that would keep me from buying one. I’m fine that others do… variety and all that.

I don’t think anyone would argue that casing their guitars is the best insurance against damage. Just like keeping my laptop in its case… but I keep it out where I can use it. Like my guitar, it gets cased for trips outside the music room, but stays out otherwise. Yes, that exposure might get it damaged but it was bought to be used and that’s a reasonable use scenario. On Taylors, I’m well acquainted with Bob’s advise on humidifying guitars, having had several of his fine instruments. But he is primarily discussing acoustics there, and his opinions on that are almost exclusively based in that type of guitar. Solid and semi guitars are much less affected by that.

I’ve own many guitars. Most of them stay out because I like to play them on a whim and found I simply play the one that is out if the others are cased. None of them have fade issues, though I do have to clean them more often. I don’t have them near windows/direct light, but they are in room light. No neck issues, no problems at all. So, yeah, of course we agree a cased guitar is a safe guitar. But for me a uncased guitar is a more often played guitar, so that’s how I use them.

To the OPs point, it really comes down to the finish requiring a different standard of care than nearly all other PRS guitar finishes require in order to show equal wear. That is what I am saying is silly, and ought to be addressed on their end. Just my $.02, my friend. Your mileage will surely vary. :)
Well said!

I don't case them either: none of them
should feel left out, because I don't play them. otherwise they become "blue" and who wants that?

Maybe that is the reason Les puts those blues in their case? And Sergio leaves them lying around?

Where to start...lol.
Can't disagree that casing a guitar is the best option to prevent fade, damage, humidity issues etc but....
I honestly don't have the space to store the hard cases in an easily accessible place that would make it a breeze and convenient to get one out at a moments notice.
Yes a first world problem I agree but I doubt I'm on my own here.

So I hang mine up including the lone PS and the couple Core models on the wall and they are ready to grab instantly.
Now whenever I do get one down I give it a wipe and dust down and a tweak if needed which is rarely ever TBH though.
The cases?
Due to aforementioned lack of space they for the most part live up in the loft (it's sort of part of the house so it's at least partially air conditioned).
The two Paisley cases do live under a bed for obvious reasons compared to in the loft.

Personally seeing a line or pile of hard cases on display would not appeal and absolutely Mrs.Rimmer would have something to say about that too...lol.

I Would Hope That With The Various Color Fading Issues PRS Has Had That They Would Do Some Incredibly Rigorous Testing On Any Color They Offer And If The Color Doesn't Pass The Testing...DO NOT OFFER THAT COLOR!

Where to start...lol.
Can't disagree that casing a guitar is the best option to prevent fade, damage, humidity issues etc but....
I honestly don't have the space to store the hard cases in an easily accessible place that would make it a breeze and convenient to get one out at a moments notice.
Yes a first world problem I agree but I doubt I'm on my own here.

So I hang mine up including the lone PS and the couple Core models on the wall and they are ready to grab instantly.
Now whenever I do get one down I give it a wipe and dust down and a tweak if needed which is rarely ever TBH though.
The cases?
Due to aforementioned lack of space they for the most part live up in the loft (it's sort of part of the house so it's at least partially air conditioned).
The two Paisley cases do live under a bed for obvious reasons compared to in the loft.

Personally seeing a line or pile of hard cases on display would not appeal and absolutely Mrs.Rimmer would have something to say about that too...lol.
Oh you're a braver man than me, I dunno if I could hang up my PS.

If I had a proper environment (smoke free, animal free, humidity and temp controlled, museum grade led lighting, wallspace for proper hangers, etc.) I would certainly have all my guitars out at all times. But I don't so I won't subject them to the standard living conditions they would be enduring. I wipe them with a micro fiber cloth before putting them away, so whenever it is time to play, they are clean and ready to go. We all have different environments and feelings about what is proper, but that is my sitchy at this time ;~)) And I do have a blue CU24 that looks fresh as the day it was new, so there is that ;~))

Hey OP, I'm having a similar issue with my "blue" matteo Custom 24 (see my thread in the PTC forums). I'm curious, did PRS offer to fix it for free, or are they charging you for the repair?

Hey OP, I'm having a similar issue with my "blue" matteo Custom 24 (see my thread in the PTC forums). I'm curious, did PRS offer to fix it for free, or are they charging you for the repair?
Hey man, in my initial email to them I specifically mentioned I would like it warrantied as the fading was not reasonable for a less than 1 year old guitar. They promptly set up shipping and return shipping, the guitar is with them now. No mention of any charges and the implications all point to them doing this through warranty. I will probably hear from them sometime this week and will update you.

Man, I must've gotten the new guy at the CS desk for mine. All I got was a no-nonsense:

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Information on the PRS Guitars Limited Lifetime Warranty can be found in the following article: Our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

This warranty does not cover normal “wear and tear,” including but not limited to any discoloration, fading, finish cracking, or damage to the original finish, worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware, and plating.

I hope this information finds you well. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Mine was purchased from a dealer in April, 2019, so here in August 2023 we're well within the 5 year warranty.

Man, I must've gotten the new guy at the CS desk for mine. All I got was a no-nonsense:

Mine was purchased from a dealer in April, 2019, so here in August 2023 we're well within the 5 year warranty.
I think the 5 year warranty doesn't apply here because fading isn't normally warrantied. I think they may have taken exception to my case considering how recently it was purchased. That's the only explanation I can see..

Recently, I started to notice that my less than 1 year old Custom 24 was quite as eye popping as I once thought it was. A quick search of other cases made me realize that it is not an isolated incident especially with blue finishes. The guitar doesn't hibernate in a case all the time, but it also doesn't see any direct sunlight and is well maintained. Even so, it was enough to fade the finishing quite significantly in less than one year of ownership. I contacted PRS customer service and luckily they were nice enough to have me send the guitar back for evaluation / refinishing. So I dropped my guitar off with FedEx this morning and will update you guys on the process.

Yup, fading like a new pair of jeans…………

I have relic MJT guitars and dont mind the fading, cracking, missing finish. They look cool and are stress free.
If I had an expensive wonderful top like the OP I would case it constantly and stress out about it when it was out.
My Ibanez Prestige is just black and I stress about it

I have relic MJT guitars and dont mind the fading, cracking, missing finish. They look cool and are stress free.
If I had an expensive wonderful top like the OP I would case it constantly and stress out about it when it was out.
My Ibanez Prestige is just black and I stress about it
Haha totally agree. An expensive guitar makes you want to play it, but if you play it, you can ding it which hurts your soul. I honestly don't mind a bit of play wear on this guitar but the fading seemed a little extreme for a new guitar. And PRS were kind enough to oblige.

Back