Question: is this covered under warranty? Or is it just "wear and tear"?

Ferg Deluxe

I purchased a Mira last fall. Since then, I've played the guitar for perhaps a couple hours each week. It's really never been out of the house, and had not seen any wear and tear beyond me playing it in my studio.

Last night, I noticed what felt like a ridge of paper making contact with my fretting hand fingers, running along the bottom of the fretboard. I looked closer and saw what appears to be length of the finish along the sides of the fretboard hanging off the guitar. It came off in a strip (two strips, actually), and pulled some of the red finish off the neck too.

I would expect that some light chips of the finish could occur along the fretboard -- I've seen that in many used guitars, especially those shot with nitro. But this was a long strip that de-laminated (if that is the right word) itself from the wood of fretboard and part of the neck.

The guitar hasn't been dropped and there are no dings or other damage to that area that would explain this process. It just looks like the finish is peeling off the guitar in large strips in this area.

Thoughts?

contact PRS or Dealer you get it from for warranty process.
This. Should be a warranty repair as long as there was no impact at the fretboard edge causing the issue. That would more likely just cause a chip or something rather than it peeling. Sometimes a piece of rosewood can be more oily than normal, that can cause the clear coat to lift.

The company is great. Paul had an owner of an HB1 send his back when he noticed the finish on the center seam lifting and my guitar is getting repaired for free even though I'm the second owner.

Back